my 9900 bricked last week and im still trying to recover it. Just wish RIM would do the same warranty replacement as Apple does. That you could bring it to any apple authorized and they could do warranty work with out receipts.
    05-12-12 03:53 PM
    If its under a year old they will repair or replace it as far as I know. Call your carrier and they can connect you to RIM tech support.
    05-12-12 04:10 PM
    All warranties are through the carriers unless you purchased it directly from RIM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 04:42 PM
    yup i know that. wish it's easier. when i used to have iphone 3g I switched carrier and there was no issue getting a warranty directly from apple. but since my 9900 is from another carrier and i dont have account there anymore I'm getting a tough time for warranty.
    05-12-12 08:16 PM
    All warranties are through the carriers unless you purchased it directly from RIM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    This is NOT a good excuse because my brother's iPhone is replaced within 24hr and two times by Apple without Telus getting in the middle. RIM can't complete with Apple's great customer service by saying "oh go through the carrier"! We got the iPhone on a 3 year contract from Telus.

Do you know how many new Blackberries have broken down? Probably 3x more than iPhones and Androids combined!
    auditman likes this.
    05-12-12 09:28 PM
    yup i know that. wish it's easier. when i used to have iphone 3g I switched carrier and there was no issue getting a warranty directly from apple. but since my 9900 is from another carrier and i dont have account there anymore I'm getting a tough time for warranty.
    I agree and I am not buying anything that RIM makes unless they change this policy. Even Samsung have better warranty program in Canada than Canadian owned RIM. Marketing people in RIM should learn from Apple and Samsung.
    auditman likes this.
    05-12-12 09:29 PM
    Its a simple call to your carrier. They send you a replacement, and you send your defective unit back. If youre within a year, and the phone is defective and not broken or damaged, you should be fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 11:04 PM
    Its a simple call to your carrier. They send you a replacement, and you send your defective unit back. If youre within a year, and the phone is defective and not broken or damaged, you should be fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    My issue is im not with that carrier anymore. So far their reply is no account no warranty. So as you see its not that simple. Apple on the other case made warranty repair simple. They will check warranty and or recall on parts and they dont care where you bought the item.
    Last edited by auditman; 05-12-12 at 11:37 PM.
    05-12-12 11:34 PM
    That is weak. Might explain some of RIM's current fail.
    05-13-12 10:29 AM
    Why not call RIM directly..and if your device is within the 1yr warranty am sure RIM will help you out. If you just got the 9900 from a carrier and already are not in contract with them then ofcourse Carrier has nothing do with it anymore..

Just go thru RIM ..they have been really helpful in cases like this.

Sent from my Tool, not the 'Toy'
    05-13-12 12:02 PM
    What if you buy a used but new phone, unlock it and have a different carrier?
    Also, can you check warranty status anywhere?

Thanks

Z
    05-13-12 12:21 PM
    Definately I will try to call RIM support don't mind paying $50 tech charge as long as they would warranty it. just not in a rush for now as I picked up a 9360 to use till I can send in the 9900. I like rim products just hope they change their warranty support for smartphones. Maybe kevin can bring this to mr. Thors attention.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 04:30 PM
    What carrier is your phone originally from? There was a thread here a week ago were the person eventaully got through to RIM, who told her to bring it back to Rogers where she got it and have it sent for repair, even though she closed her account with Rogers and is using a different carrier.
    05-13-12 05:40 PM
    Why not call RIM directly..and if your device is within the 1yr warranty am sure RIM will help you out. If you just got the 9900 from a carrier and already are not in contract with them then ofcourse Carrier has nothing do with it anymore..

Just go thru RIM ..they have been really helpful in cases like this.

Sent from my Tool, not the 'Toy'

i bought my 9860 and my wife's 9860 came from RIM it came out the box and went back to RIM (all it did was reboot) that was a month plus ago. my friend that works for RIM email the repair department once a week and still nothing... if your going to get a new bb buy it from your carrier its faster to get fixed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 06:00 PM
    What if you buy a used but new phone, unlock it and have a different carrier?
    Also, can you check warranty status anywhere?

Thanks

Z
    then you tampered with the phone and voided your warrenty i doubt craple would even warrenty the phone if this is the case
    05-13-12 07:32 PM
    First things first...what have you actually done? Did you make a single call and it didnt go as planned so youre blasting rim?

As far as apple warranty vs rim warranty i believe youre the only one ive seen who feels that way.

We live an hour from an apple store

If one of my customers phones (any phone but the iphone) stops working within 30 days i replace it in store on the spot. If its after 30 days but under a year, we have a warranty center nearby who replaces it on the spot. If you cant be bothered to go to the warranty center they will overnight you the device. If your account is cancelled we will out you in touch with the manufacturer of your device. If the device needs to be replaced they mail the replacement first and then you send the old one back.

With iphones, you must check everything before you leave the store. Make a phone call, send a text take a pic etc etc etc. Once it goes out i cant touch it anymore. O the mic isnt working?you'll have to go to apple. The cam shutter doesnt work? Go to apple.

And if you dont want to drive that far you can call em, but they want your phone first. Oh sure, they'll send you the replacement first and then you can send the old one back. You better have 700 on a credit card though cause theyll want a deposit. Because we all know its your fault when stuff they build doesnt work.
    05-13-12 08:58 PM
    With iphones, you must check everything before you leave the store. Make a phone call, send a text take a pic etc etc etc. Once it goes out i cant touch it anymore. O the mic isnt working?you'll have to go to apple. The cam shutter doesnt work? Go to apple.

And if you dont want to drive that far you can call em, but they want your phone first. Oh sure, they'll send you the replacement first and then you can send the old one back. You better have 700 on a credit card though cause theyll want a deposit. Because we all know its your fault when stuff they build doesnt work.
    I seen a guy buy a brand new iphone walk out the store and came back in and said the screen would not turn on. The lady refused to take the phone back and told him because of apple's warranty program there is nothing she can do but call the apple number for him.

SO the moral of the story...there is always two sides to a story and a greener pasture
    05-13-12 09:08 PM
    I don't see you having a problem since the phone came out in aug of last year.

No carrier has had the phone for over a year so therefore it is under a year old no matter where you got it from.

Doesn't hurt to make a call.

How did you brick it? What os were you running? Must have been an older os because from what I understand the newer os's have addressed the bricking issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 11:11 PM
    My 9900 was running 7.1.342 @ that time. All i did was replaced a battery 30% left with a newly charged battery. Bang red light and partial os load and then reboot itself. Yes im sure phone is under warranty as it just came out last year. A repair company in s looking @ it. It theycould not load os succesfully i will call rim.
    05-14-12 03:07 AM
    I seen a guy buy a brand new iphone walk out the store and came back in and said the screen would not turn on. The lady refused to take the phone back and told him because of apple's warranty program there is nothing she can do but call the apple number for him.

SO the moral of the story...there is always two sides to a story and a greener pasture
    Hum... not in Canadian stores. The manager of the Apple store will get fired if he/she said that to me because 1-800 Apple number in Canada clearly describe with a recording how to fire people at Apple. LOL
    05-14-12 07:33 AM
    How did you brick it? What os were you running? Must have been an older os because from what I understand the newer os's have addressed the bricking issues.
    Thats a bummer apparantly they haven't solved the bricking issue. I find it strange that RIM has never anounced that this issue has been resolved or something.
    05-14-12 07:37 AM
    they have admitted it i believe but no fix and no easy way to do a direct exchange with rim yet that i know off.
    05-14-12 07:47 PM
    they have admitted it i believe but no fix and no easy way to do a direct exchange with rim yet that i know off.

In the carrier notes for the os's they address the bricking issue.

When I called att about a bis question I probed the rep about the os 285 which was the last att release for the 9900. They were reading the notes of reasons to upgrade and the low level battery life reboot cycle was one issue they claimed was fixed on the newer os.

They have but they kept it to the right people, keep the releases coming and the general public will stop having issues. Send out a public release and it open a whole book of anti rim things again. They don't need anymore bad press right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD