Looks like the most notorious of the PB app piracy sites has finally been taken offline.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with RIM's new found commitment to combating PB software piracy. Perhaps Alec Saunders decided to take action and sent RIM's legal forces after the site's Vietnamese provider.

Regardless, I count this as a victory for those of use who wish to see RIM's ecosystem become more secure for content providers and developers.

Bravo!

RCK
    05-11-12 10:25 AM
    but isn't this like taking down napster? don't think music piracy has gone away.
    05-11-12 10:33 AM
    Not sure which site you're referring to but a victory is always appreciated.
    05-11-12 10:35 AM
    Its a first step, and I am assuming you are referring to the site that starts with pb and ends in .net? If so that was reported to RIM security some time ago. Glad they were able to take action.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-11-12 10:35 AM
    Not sure which site you're referring to but a victory is always appreciated.
    I can't be more specific without being accused of perpetuating the problem, but suffice to say that it was one that I have complained about here before.

Anyway, "He's dead, Jim..."

RCK
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    05-11-12 10:38 AM
    Is the owner's being charged or just forced to shut down?
    05-11-12 10:48 AM
    If I am correct on the site, Its been in maintenance mode for a while now. I just send a message to someone at RIM to see if they could speak on the matter. (Odds are probably not)
    05-11-12 10:52 AM
    I dont know which site you are talking about... The only one i know is Pirate Bay and they seems to be alive and kicking...

- Charles
    05-11-12 10:53 AM
    Few months ago it was in maintenance mode screen also over a week.
    So seeing that screen means nothing.
    05-11-12 10:55 AM
    In my opinion Piracy isn't an issue.

The media industry is the most likely to get hit, but with Avengers making $392,538,708 in its first weekend we can clearly see that Piracy isn't making the impact that the industry claims and the recent Blocking of the TPB has upped the amount of people paying for VPN's. meaning people ARE willing to pay. but the media industry isn't giving them the outlet. if more film studios supported Netflix piracy would be dead.

As for the Playbook Piracy, those who pirate apps are usually, to my knowledge, Either cannot afford to buy the apps, Kids and the like, OR people who want to pay for quality apps who pirate the app to use and test before purchase.
    If all games and apps did a free version for trial, then people would be able to try an app before dropping �5 on it. and as the market expands, the amount of free apps increases which limits the amount of people who pirate because of cost.

I can see why many would see this as a victory because RIM's main selling point is security. but overall, my sympathy's lie with the pirates. and the Issue of Piracy isn't going to go away until company's start understanding that their products don't have the same material value to their consumers as it does to their desire to make money. and as the blocking of TPB has shown that if you knock out one site, three more spring up, and people proxy and find other ways. if RIM wants to make its system seem secure, it needs to lock down whatever method is used to allow people to use Pirated apps. just like Apple does. as soon as a Jailbreak comes available, Apple get to work on an OS update to lock it down.

If a shepherd finds he loosing sheep to a wolf because of a hole in his fence he didnt see before, he doesn't spend his time and effort trying to convince the wolves not to use the hole, he boards up the hole and stops access. and this is what RIM needs to do.
    05-11-12 10:59 AM
    Few months ago it was in maintenance mode screen also over a week.
    So seeing that screen means nothing.
    This I was not aware of. Good to know though. Hopefully it has been brought down but only time will tell I guess.
    05-11-12 11:00 AM
    And do you think people who pirate software will suddenly start paying for it? I doubt it. Another site will simply pop up taking its place.
    05-11-12 11:04 AM
    I have a few of their pages bookmarked and that Site is still fully up. You can get in its not taken down.
    05-11-12 11:12 AM
    This I was not aware of. Good to know though. Hopefully it has been brought down but only time will tell I guess.
    If it was taken down it won't even put a dent in piracy.
    So many underground and private sites where you can download every app and game on all platforms in 1 shot.
    05-11-12 11:15 AM
    How much did it cost to make the Avengers movie, that includes production costs and what the actors will make in the end.

If the movie hasn't already been recorded and uploaded to the internet there will be hundreds of thousands of people who haven't yet seen it which is a lot of lost revenue.

In the end there are people who like going to the movies for the big picture and sound, and maybe 3D. Then there are people who could care less so and would rather watch it at home on their blueray or dvd players. What the movie houses should do is release the movie on dvd and blueray a week after its released in the theatre so stop people from bringing their video cameras into the show with them and uploading it later the internet.

This way he movie houses just have to worry about the china man who buys their copy of the movie and turns around makes copies of it and sell it for $5 but those people are easy to catch any ways.
    bribert likes this.
    05-11-12 11:16 AM
    ...This way he movie houses just have to worry about the china man who buys their copy of the movie and turns around makes copies of it and sell it for $5 but those people are easy to catch any ways.
    there's a smell of racism in there...
    h20work, shupor and xiaohuaxing like this.
    05-11-12 11:50 AM
    Noticed a number of "did not know about this site".... actually a good sIgn.... rather sad if you cannot afford 3 to 5 dollars for an app......

I service computers for a living and have run across many clients who pirate software... movies etc... A pattren I have seen emerge that is not discussed is that many of the pirates are collectors.... I recently had a computer with over 500 movies on it.... When I asked the client how many of the movies she watches... she said almost none.... This had been a growing trend I have seen....

On the legal side.... PIRACY IS STEALING.......
    xiaohuaxing and husainpatan like this.
    05-11-12 12:05 PM
    I never knew there was a pirate site dedicated to the PlayBook.
    05-11-12 12:08 PM
    Noticed a number of "did not know about this site".... actually a good sIgn....
    How many peeps now will be googling until they track it down or other sites they might stumble upon thanks to threads like this?
    Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie instead of crowing about it.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    05-11-12 12:14 PM
    1. RIM, a US company, can't do anything about a site hosted anywhere not in the US. Although honestly they can't do anything even if it is in the US...but I'll let you think.
    2. Taking down one site is irrelevant. I know of at least a dozen "playbook piracy sites".
    3. "Bravo RIM" for *maybe* trying to do something that neither the music, movie, or game industry could do anything about? lol.

Welp ignorance is bliss I guess.
    05-11-12 12:40 PM
    1. RIM, a US company, can't do anything about a site hosted anywhere not in the US. Although honestly they can't do anything even if it is in the US...but I'll let you think.
    2. Taking down one site is irrelevant. I know of at least a dozen "playbook piracy sites".
    3. "Bravo RIM" for *maybe* trying to do something that neither the music, movie, or game industry could do anything about? lol.

Considering you think RIM is a US company, your contributions to "ignorance" are noted!
    05-11-12 12:45 PM

1. RIM is Canadian. Based in Waterloo.
    2. Taking down one site is not irrelevant. It eliminates that site. Megaupload is gone, Pirate Bay, etc. These sites were the largest ones and did affect things. It is obviously a never ending struggle, but also keep this in mind. If RIM does eliminate these sites, even one at a time, they can show these companies they are trying to protect their work.
    3. Sarcasm not withstanding, people did say the same about Dingleberry, and how RIM wont ever block rooting/hacking. You are correct, they wont ever block it completely, but they have made great strides there.
    05-11-12 12:55 PM
    Piracy will just never end. If you bring down one of the problems, 2 more will emerge. RIM must fight this not crying with lawyers and stuff but making it harder to pirate apps, implementing stuff like Keys to Sideload (Only available for Devs) and some less restrictions on Android App, maybe OTA installation? Who knows, but theres a way to fight this. Just don't forget that no matter what, piracy always finds a way.
    Princepia likes this.
    05-11-12 01:06 PM
    You can argue about ethics, you can whine, you can complain, you can file complaints, you can get angry, you can get satisfied when one site shuts down. You have every right to all these feelings and actions. But just like centuries ago, pirates still sail the seas.

Welcome to the Internet, I've hope you've enjoyed your stay. I also hope you are smart enough to know it's under no one's control. It's freedom. That's why you can post what you want, all your opinions in this forum, whether your opinion is right or wrong, it can be recorded in history and stay here forever.

You, the user, is in charge of your Internet experience. You the user, makes the "ethical" choices of what you consume.

There are guns in the world, there are drugs, there is murder, there is crime.

You, are in charge, each and every one of you make a decision on what you're going to do. Prohibition won't make the world a better place.

I am nor for nor against piracy. But what I am for is being responsible for my own actions, and not concerning myself with the actions of others. And realizing bad things exist in this world, now make your own choice, and stop worrying so much about others.
    05-11-12 01:11 PM
    Canadian or US company doesn't really matter, in this situation or any other really. One cannot call ignorance for a silly and meaningless mistake like that. Only if the international communities cooperate and specifically the host country, then shutting down a specific site is unlikely. MegaUpload shutting down took pressure from many countries and companies on the host country and obviously did not happen overnight.

I hope that whatever site this was is permanently shut down, but I have a feeling it probably isn't. I think that the best bet for RIM is to keep trying to put mechanisms in the apps to try to prevent it rather than playing wack-a-mole.
    05-11-12 01:17 PM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD