http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheIp...ps/story01.htm

Rene Ritchie wouldn't have written this without a strong reason to believe it was true. This is hugely important to the BB community. If it pans out, it will destroy the PB, which some believe to be a key piece for RIM's future.

For the record, I don't believe that. I think it is no more necessary for RIM to build a tablet than it was for them to build a notebook. The tablet will be the new notebook, IMO. It is very necessary for computer manufacturers to have this form factor, and for MS to provide an OS, if they want to stay in business, but not RIM.

This may end up hurting RIM badly in the short-term. RIM has put a lot of eggs in the PB cart. They are even doubling down to produce another one that will be even more niche, IMO. If Apple comes in and cleans up the low-end market, there will be about as much oxygen in the tablet room as there is in the MP3 room. NONE!

That means that RIM will have yet another failed headliner and more losses in the era of their new, savior OS. That is a very bad thing as they will be forced to scrap the PB and take heavy losses at a time when they can least afford it.

Apple doesn't even care about this market. It is almost an anti-competitive move, except it's perfectly legal. I don't think we want to see RIM's new 4G tab come out just in time to compete with the 7" iPad for $200. This could end up being what determines if RIM is in business, or not.

Thoughts?
    05-10-12 01:33 PM
    Shill = you.

10char.
    ritesh and rotorwrench like this.
    05-10-12 01:42 PM
    If it releases at say, a $399 price point, it won't be in the PlayBook market. PlayBook has made it pretty clear they are going after the bottom price market, where I doubt we'll see Apple.
    05-10-12 01:51 PM
    Bottom price does not equal bottom functionality. For a number of reasons I got the ipad 2, when it outgrows my needs, I'm first looking at PB, then Windows, then Android. ipad is way too expensive to be used as a netflix streaming device.
    05-10-12 01:56 PM
    If it releases at say, a $399 price point, it won't be in the PlayBook market. PlayBook has made it pretty clear they are going after the bottom price market, where I doubt we'll see Apple.
    According to the linked article, the plan is to price it a $200-$250 max. That will not only destroy the PB; it destroys everything at $150 and above. It cleans up what's left of the market.
    05-10-12 02:01 PM
    I would think that shows that Apple is more worried about the Playbook and BB10 than they let on to be. Wasn't Steve Jobs quoted on the fact 7" tablets would be DOA???
    05-10-12 02:06 PM
    I would think that shows that Apple is more worried about the Playbook and BB10 than they let on to be. Wasn't Steve Jobs quoted on the fact 7" tablets would be DOA???
    They have been.
    05-10-12 02:08 PM
    05-10-12 02:08 PM
    They have been.
    I don't understand how people say things are dead when they aren't. Maybe not selling like an iPad but if I go to any electronics store I still see plenty of 7" tablets being advertised and for sale from many different manufacturers. Now Apple wants in on the game...why would they bother if the market for 7" is dead?
    05-10-12 02:15 PM
    I don't understand how people say things are dead when they aren't. Maybe not selling like an iPad but if I go to any electronics store I still see plenty of 7" tablets being advertised and for sale from many different manufacturers. Now Apple wants in on the game...why would they bother if the market for 7" is dead?
    Not saying the market is dead, but only the Kindle Fire has found success. Success meaning profit.
    05-10-12 02:26 PM
    I think I'll stick with my PlayBook!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-10-12 02:27 PM
    why would they bother if the market for 7" is dead?
    I have no idea. Kindle Fire sales fell off the radar after the holidays. PB was never on the radar. Samsung 7.0? Hahahaha... I think this may have been a project when they thought Kindle Fire was doing well. Now that we know it was just a holiday phenom, this may not happen at all. As it stands, it makes no sense to me. Still if RIM keeps dumping money into it, it might just kill RIM. Apple want even notice.
    05-10-12 02:29 PM
    You think that Apple is worried about the PB? Has 2 million of them been sold yet?

So far, 7 inch tablets have been "DOA" compared to the iPad. Nothing comes remotely close when it come to sales.

Also, the PB isn't the only 7 inch tablet out there. If anything, they would be worried about the Kindle Fire because it outsells the PB as well, and has a much larger app and digital content ecosystem.
    05-10-12 02:31 PM
    Not saying the market is dead, but only the Kindle Fire has found success. Success meaning profit.
    I don't think the Fire has made a profit, yet. They were selling the hardware at a loss. Now, those sales have dried up.
    05-10-12 02:31 PM
    I would think that shows that Apple is more worried about the Playbook and BB10 than they let on to be.
    I'd be more inclined to believe they're more worried about Microsoft launching Windows 8 on a 7" tablet before Apple, than they are about the PB and BB10. They clearly weren't worried about all the Android 7" tablets that have been out all this time so I doubt they're any more concerned about PB with BB10. This is probably intended as a preemptive strike against MS. MS is gargantuan enough to always be a threat, to anyone at any time.

On a side note, you should take a good look at some of the very expensive apps windows 8 tabs will come included with. Imagine how huge it will be for a lot of people and businesses to have the worlds largest and most successful office software suite on a tablet. The same suite that's already installed on 3/4 of desktops worldwide (including Mac desktops!)...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If I was a gambling man, I'd say windows 8 tablets are going to arrive with a slow start, and then take off once people start finding out it has things they hadn't initially considered, and then it'll be "oh wait.. say what??"

Of course that's where the advertising comes in. They'll need to be on top of that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-10-12 02:35 PM
    Agreed. I still think however, that with all the good stuff I've seen in regards to BB10, Apple is noticing it too and that has them worried. All that Apple has to do is make a smaller tablet, not build a brand new OS like BB10 that I think will be equal or better than what is currently out there. That was more my point/opinion. I would think most companies don't jump into a market unless they are worried about losing that market and/or perhaps a larger market.
    05-10-12 02:40 PM
    There is no way you will see that resolution in the 7inch ipad if it comes to reality. They will go with the same resolution as the ipad/ipad2.

Rimm needs to bump up the resolution to at least the development alpha phone for the 4g pb later this year.

Display sharpness/clarity is huge factor in purchasing a tablet going forward. Look what apple did with the new ipad. Hardware matters. Need to keep pushing forward rim.

Love my playbook. Give me a nice upgrade in display/processor/nfc, etc, I will be buying later this year. And keep pushing on the browser front. The tablet market will be exploding in the coming years. Have to be a player there.
    05-10-12 03:24 PM
    OP aren't you the same one that has touting 7" tablets are going and are nowhere.

Make up your mind.
    05-10-12 03:34 PM
    OP aren't you the same one that has touting 7" tablets are going and are nowhere.

Make up your mind.
    I haven't changed my mind. I think Apple has no good business reason to do it. 7" tabs are going nowhere. Show me one that is doing well. The fact that I think it would be stupid for Apple to do it, does not change the fact that if they do it, they will destroy the PB, and probably RIM along with it.
    05-10-12 03:38 PM
    Oh OK I gotcha. You're only interested in seeing RIM destroyed.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-10-12 04:02 PM
    Oh OK I gotcha. You're only interested in seeing RIM destroyed.
    It's like watching a train wreck. You don't want it to happen, but you can't stop watching. Be that as it may, you have posted twice about me, and zero about the topic. There are probably rules about that sort of thing.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-10-12 04:05 PM
    That's fine I'll take my spanking if I have one coming. I point to the OP's opinion on 7" tablets. I guess that is off topic. It is that red triangle in the upper corner.
    05-10-12 04:14 PM
    05-10-12 04:27 PM
    Huh and not one word about 7" tablets being dead or worthless. It even states there is room for more than just apple.
    05-10-12 04:35 PM
    Huh and not one word about 7" tablets being dead or worthless. It even states there is room for more than just apple.
    They also left out any mention of a successful, 7" tablet. If such a market has a chance, it would be because Apple didn't enter it. The only good reason for Apple to even consider it is to kill it before one has a chance to grow. A $200 iPad this year kills any pretense of a market, or hope for a future market.
    05-10-12 04:40 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD