I saw a lot of post about how their playbook usb port died and had to send it back to RIM. I'm thinking whether i should get the rapid Charger or not. Is it really necessary? How many people here use the Rapid Charger to save the usb port?

Thanks
    05-09-12 11:45 PM
    Me! and I love it... well worth the money.... shop around on line .. can get them at a good price.

I use the Rapid Charger with the magnetic end. Can connect it in the dark!
    Princepia likes this.
    05-09-12 11:52 PM
    Yes i recommend it. I just ordered one last week and I am enjoying it. It charges faster than the standard usb charger.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-09-12 11:55 PM
    It really does charge a LOT faster. However, I feel that it disconnects a little too easy!! Cant complain though is RIM gave it to me for free after I called and told them that the charger that came with my PB is broken
    05-10-12 12:01 AM
    Rapid Charger is pricey but totally worth it. I now have two of the stands (bedtable and my desk at work) and the travel one (which has that awesome, Apple-like magnetic latch).

Charges MUCH faster than USB. Less risk of wear on the USB port. No-brainer.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-10-12 12:10 AM
    You may be able to find it on clearance at some stores. I bought mine on clearance from a Staples (US) for I think $8+tax. If they had more than one I definitely would have bought them!
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    05-10-12 12:27 AM
    I find the battery doesn't hold the charge as long when using the rapid charger.
    Go back to the usb charger and see if its the same for you.
    I also find the rapid charger annoying with its short cord length from the huge adapter.
    05-10-12 12:54 AM
    It is $50 @ best buy lol.got it for $20 at da shack.
    05-10-12 01:24 AM
    I love the Rapid charger and about half the time to fully charge! I got mine free!
    From Amazon.ca....using my swagbucks and superpoints
    05-10-12 01:43 AM
    I dont know how people find these for like $10 but Id say anything under $35 is a NO BRAINER
    05-10-12 01:48 AM
    thanks for the information.. i'm not complaining about charging time with usb charger. I'm just worry that the USB port might die one day. or Can i just live with it and be careful when changing with USB charger?
    05-10-12 02:05 AM
    If you're careful and you always look at the BlackBerry logo and make sure it's facing up. You will be fine. But remember,. If your spouse, sister, mother, brother, or daughter ever plugs it in, and doesn't look, it will get damaged.

Unlike on most phones, the Playbooks USB port allows for microusb type a and type b. And as such accommodates both plugs, on your phone, you can probably only plug your micro USB one way, the socket prevents it from going in upside down. The Playbook doesn't, and you will bend pins.

Between my rapid charger, wireless file transfer, and now the wireless sideloading extension for chrome, I literally never use my USB port.

I love it and would highly recommend it to anyone who's considering.
    05-10-12 02:41 AM
    The rapid charger is amazing...I just purchased one for the office...so now I have one at home AND one at he office...Both are keepers!! Grab it!
    05-10-12 06:18 AM
    it looks good too, especially if you have a clock app running...
    05-10-12 06:20 AM
    Bought the "dock" as opposed to just the plug. Love it and haven't used the USB charger since getting it(unless I go somewhere). Well worth the $15 I payed for it(staples closeout sale).

I don't find my battery drains any faster using the dock or the USB. I've actually tested this with battery guru(nothing running other then battery guru with "keep awake" set to on), seeing as there have been reports of such rapid drainage using the rapid charger.
    05-10-12 06:27 AM
    In my experience, and opinion, there's NO reason to believe that using the rapid charger results in the battery "not holding a charge" as well as with the regular charger. It really makes no sense to say that either, since they charge at almost exactly the same rate anyway, and stop charging once the battery reaches the same voltage. In fact, if you look at the part of charging above about 70%, you'll see that they are identical, since the current drops off as it reaches 100%.

What's that?! Same rate? How can the rapid charger be so incredibly much faster than the regular charger then?

Well, it's not... unless you always charge with the screen on. With the screen off, they both charge around 9W... the rapid charger slightly higher, but obviously not enough to make any big difference. It's about 3.5h total charge time for the regular one, and 3.2h for the rapid charger.

Charging with the screen on uses much more power, however, but the rapid charger can keep up, supplying even more power as required so it keeps up. The regular charger cannot keep up with the extra demand, so the net power going to the battery itself is lower, and it takes longer than the 3.5h it would take in standby.

Also note that this potential extra speed for the rapid charger will be seen only below about 70%, where the charge current is not limited quite as much. Above that, even with the screen on, the two chargers will basically act identically.

All these things determined using Battery Guru of course...
    05-10-12 07:51 AM
    ok my dad rang and complained to rim about how long it takes to charge the playbook using the USB charger AND they sent him a rapid charger for free, im well jealous, he said it charges in about an hour now.....pmsl

it was just the charger not the stand.
    05-10-12 07:58 AM
    Also i just use tbe usb port to backup my playbook on the pc and or transfer files to it like music, pics, etc
    05-10-12 08:06 AM
    ok my dad rang and complained to rim about how long it takes to charge the playbook using the USB charger AND they sent him a rapid charger for free, im well jealous, he said it charges in about an hour now.....pmsl

it was just the charger not the stand.
    I would sure love to contact RIM and get a replacement charger cause I stepped on mine when I dropped it and bent one of the prongs where it plugs into the wall. I just spent 2 hours over on the blackberry website and forums looking for a number to call and all I found one was a tech support number and they want a credit card and $45 for a one time report. I'll just go down to radio shack and buy a charge cord. Be a lot less worrisome.
    05-10-12 12:42 PM
    05-10-12 12:46 PM
    why can i never find a steal of deal on the magnetic rapid charger. Can you believe staples wants over 30 dollars just for the normal charger
    05-10-12 01:00 PM
    I would sure love to contact RIM and get a replacement charger cause I stepped on mine when I dropped it and bent one of the prongs where it plugs into the wall. I just spent 2 hours over on the blackberry website and forums looking for a number to call and all I found one was a tech support number and they want a credit card and $45 for a one time report. I'll just go down to radio shack and buy a charge cord. Be a lot less worrisome.

Just ring RIM and tell them your playbook isnt charging anymore and that you can charge it from using USB through your pc or that you borrowed a friends phone charger and that works also so the charger that came with it is faulty.

dont tell them you stood on the charger......lol

Rim will send you out a charger
    05-10-12 01:22 PM
    on the phone with support now. got my request in and they are transferring me to someone else. Very nice girl I been talking to. If she looks as good as she sounds I would marry her
    05-10-12 02:05 PM
    The rapid charger is not that much faster than the supplied charger but it does make it more convenient and safter connection. It is very easy to damage that micro usb if it is not plugged in carefully. I got my rapid charger from Future shop , they matched crackberry sale price a couple of weeks ago and i got it right away.....
    05-10-12 02:16 PM
    well I think it was the RMA department she connected me to. Anyway they confirmed my shipping address and are to be emailing me a tracking number when the charger ships. Very nice people. My first experience with RIM's tech support and I am happy to say it was very pleasant.
    05-10-12 03:16 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD