Just found this on appworld:
    Buy FLAC Player - Download FLAC Player - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Super basic functionality - no playlists, no tag support, basic flat folder/file view... but it works (and its native, not Android port). Seeking is smooth and it seems to support gapless playback. Testing power drain now.

Not sure if it's worth the $3.99 quite yet, but there's a free trial to give it a go.

Welcome to the PlayBook FLAC!!
    cl8baller and filbert42 like this.
    05-08-12 09:56 PM
    how can i load FLAC files?
    05-10-12 02:21 AM
    QNX already supported FLAC before Playbook was released.
    Just compile some random Qt music player and it'll work on Playbook with FLAC (and everything else) support.
    I'd port VLC but the UI isn't good for Playbook. So if you find one with a nice UI, just hit me up.
    05-10-12 02:27 AM
    how can i load FLAC files?
    just copy them to your music folder - i do mine over USB, but you can do it over wifi too..
    05-10-12 03:00 AM
    QNX already supported FLAC before Playbook was released.
    Just compile some random Qt music player and it'll work on Playbook with FLAC (and everything else) support.
    I'd port VLC but the UI isn't good for Playbook. So if you find one with a nice UI, just hit me up.
    I don't think so - at least for the Playbook version, I had to port libFlac to do it.. I did try a couple of the demo players from the QT SDK and they did not work..

Whats wrong with the VLC UI? just make the buttons bigger and it will be fine.. or make your own UI - there is not that much there...
    05-10-12 03:20 AM
    I would be glad to buy a native player with FLAC support, but basic functions like tagging, album arts, search and track/artists/album view is a must. Hope to see one soon.
    05-10-12 03:28 AM
    I don't think so - at least for the Playbook version, I had to port libFlac to do it.. I did try a couple of the demo players from the QT SDK and they did not work..

Whats wrong with the VLC UI? just make the buttons bigger and it will be fine.. or make your own UI - there is not that much there...
    libFlac, you mean this: https://github.com/asimonov-rim/flac
    Note: the libFlac code compiles directly as-is from flac.sourceforge.net without modification. In that repo above, only a build script is added.

And I don't mean the demo players, but full-fledged open-source ones on qt-apps.org or something. Surely there's one with a decent UI. It'll port right across. I don't like the VLC UI because it opens multiple windows which look silly on a tablet (see my web browser ports).
    05-10-12 03:34 AM
    if you manage to port VLC would it be able to play AC3? Or how can we get playbook to play any movie without need to modify sound codec or movie codec? thnx
    05-10-12 04:13 AM
    libFlac, you mean this: https://github.com/asimonov-rim/flac
    Note: the libFlac code compiles directly as-is from flac.sourceforge.net without modification. In that repo above, only a build script is added.

And I don't mean the demo players, but full-fledged open-source ones on qt-apps.org or something. Surely there's one with a decent UI. It'll port right across. I don't like the VLC UI because it opens multiple windows which look silly on a tablet (see my web browser ports).
    no, i got the source code directly from the official flac website: FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec

the one on github looks like was posted about a month ago and by that time i already had mine converted.. but it doesn't matter really - i'm sure its the same code..

I have looked into porting VLC also and did manage to cross compile some of of the core libraries, but for now I just wanted a simple lightweight program to play flac files and this is what I came up with.
    05-10-12 04:47 AM
    no, i got the source code directly from the official flac website: FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec
    the one on github looks like was posted about a month ago and by that time i already had mine converted.. but it doesn't matter really - i'm sure its the same code..

I have looked into porting VLC also and did manage to cross compile some of of the core libraries, but for now I just wanted a simple lightweight program to play flac files and this is what I came up with.
    What I mean is the code in that git is unchanged from where you downloaded it from (sourceforge) and compiles perfectly as-is -- no porting It's already designed to work for QNX and has been for some time.

As for the GUI, that's why I'm staying away from VLC. I'm sure we can port it but we probably don't want it. Something lightweight would be good but still want all the 'fancies'. Have you checked out the Qt front-ends? Could make a Cascades app from one of those.
    05-10-12 08:36 AM
    The tech talk is a little over my head, but it does all sound promising... Cascades-driven UI with a little more robust functionality... yes, please!
    05-10-12 02:59 PM
    What I mean is the code in that git is unchanged from where you downloaded it from (sourceforge) and compiles perfectly as-is -- no porting It's already designed to work for QNX and has been for some time.

As for the GUI, that's why I'm staying away from VLC. I'm sure we can port it but we probably don't want it. Something lightweight would be good but still want all the 'fancies'. Have you checked out the Qt front-ends? Could make a Cascades app from one of those.
    What about either one of these two qt apps could you build a playbook app from one of them?
    Clementine:Clementine Qt-Apps.org
    YaRock :YaRock Qt-Apps.org
    05-31-12 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD