Hey guys,

First up, I am more excited now after BlackBerry World than I have ever been ever since I started reading Crackberry! Like many have said, things look like they are changing and hopefully they really are because I for one, have my faith in Thor and his team.

One message that was stressed a few times over at BlackBerry World was that BB10 is a platform and not an OS - and it got me wondering about what that means.
    Just going to the QNX website, I had a peek at their customers page - Cisco is one of them, they mentioned 60% of cars have it (Jaguar, Porsche, GM, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Hyundai, etc). Then I got really excited about the thought of something - integration.

This is different from what Android and Apple have - you see, their form of integration relies on apps and more than that they are heavily focused on entertainment and consumer electronics (So far we have audio equipment, computers and Smart TVs). The rest of integration by other OS' are formed through arms-length connectivity like cables, wifi or bluetooth and often through the use of a third-party app to connect that bridge. What happens when you don't say "Theres an app for that." and instead you now say, "There's a platform for that."?

The opportunity that RIM has to integrate our lives is exciting in that no other mobile OS has the system to run the everyday functions of our technological lives. QNX runs power plants, ventilation and air-con systems, inventory control systems, cars and a whole bunch of other stuff through the QNX RTOS. How many of these can be applied to our homes? All. If RIM made an effort to consolidate everything into a single platform (i.e. BB10) we could really move towards the cool concepts we see in the TAT demos - integration into our lives, not just entertainment and gadgets. What do you guys think of the opportunities and the meaning of BB10 as a platform and not an OS?

Sorry if this is long...just popped in my head and I ran with it!
    BB10FTW and FASHER like this.
    05-07-12 02:40 AM
    But as a Platform how does it translate to exclusive BB features?

Let me put it this way, QNX is already running on a lot of cars and those cars have complete compatibility with iPhone. Sure BB would be another compatible phone. But BMW would not agree to QNX dumping iPhone support for their cars.

The auto manufacturers don't about phones. They want to ensure that their features are usable by the largest customer base possible.
    05-07-12 02:52 AM
    One Platform to rule them all, One Platform to find them,
    One Platform to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Hmm.. maybe not quite there just yet. Thought I could go LOTR on that and swap out the word ring for platform and it would be an awesome poem. Although darkness and BlackBerry kinda jive.

05-07-12 08:43 AM
    Hey guys,

First up, I am more excited now after BlackBerry World than I have ever been ever since I started reading Crackberry! Like many have said, things look like they are changing and hopefully they really are because I for one, have my faith in Thor and his team.

One message that was stressed a few times over at BlackBerry World was that BB10 is a platform and not an OS - and it got me wondering about what that means.
    Just going to the QNX website, I had a peek at their customers page - Cisco is one of them, they mentioned 60% of cars have it (Jaguar, Porsche, GM, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Hyundai, etc). Then I got really excited about the thought of something - integration.

This is different from what Android and Apple have - you see, their form of integration relies on apps and more than that they are heavily focused on entertainment and consumer electronics (So far we have audio equipment, computers and Smart TVs). The rest of integration by other OS' are formed through arms-length connectivity like cables, wifi or bluetooth and often through the use of a third-party app to connect that bridge. What happens when you don't say "Theres an app for that." and instead you now say, "There's a platform for that."?

The opportunity that RIM has to integrate our lives is exciting in that no other mobile OS has the system to run the everyday functions of our technological lives. QNX runs power plants, ventilation and air-con systems, inventory control systems, cars and a whole bunch of other stuff through the QNX RTOS. How many of these can be applied to our homes? All. If RIM made an effort to consolidate everything into a single platform (i.e. BB10) we could really move towards the cool concepts we see in the TAT demos - integration into our lives, not just entertainment and gadgets. What do you guys think of the opportunities and the meaning of BB10 as a platform and not an OS?

Sorry if this is long...just popped in my head and I ran with it!
    I've been saying this for some time - AliensWanted - my tech life: Blackberry and QNX - could this really happen?

Agree 100%!
    05-07-12 12:56 PM
    Look BB10 need to land first and wow and then everyone will say, "Wait a minute. This IS good"
    Only to be wowed more when they find its the same code running their other everyday stuff (insert ...cars.... etc there).
    At that point RIM would be in a better place to leverage the reach of QNX.
    So far BB10 looks great but let's not jump the gun.
    05-07-12 01:06 PM

Hmm.. maybe not quite there just yet. Thought I could go LOTR on that and swap out the word ring for platform and it would be an awesome poem. Although darkness and BlackBerry kinda jive.

Ash nazg durbatuluk.

Love the LOTR Reference!

I agree with having the SYSTEM more important than the APPS. iPad=app launcher. Blackberry 10 could be running on everything, all controlled from one device. The screen sharing feature seems especially promising for remote "desktop" of our devices (cars, appliances, etc.)
    05-07-12 02:27 PM
    One Day, Kevin....one day..
    05-07-12 07:25 PM
    The platform play is to get out of people's fixation on smart phones being RIM's only line of business. RIM, through BB10, wants to be in all embedded systems (planes, cars, house, etc.).

QNX's in cars now. If car manufacturers start adopting BB10, then all of a sudden you have TONs more devices using BB10 apps and makes the platform very attractive to developers and other users).

I read in another article that RIM's making a play for planes as well (likely not just giving them to passengers to use like Westjet letting passengers use Gal Tab 10.1's, but something like the Connected Car system where Qnet is exploited to allow parallel processing from all of the devices).
    05-08-12 01:33 AM
    Lmao watched too much LOTR's!
    05-08-12 01:35 AM
    i kind of disagree, apple gears its phones to visuals and entertainment, andriod is mroe of a follower, give the people what they want and their OSbut they are geared mroe towards hardware and techies. think of it like GM power i is better, visuals and quality come next

QNX is in all major parts, QNX is used in cars, hospital equipment, factories, servers, space stations, rockets ships, planes ect. its in everything meaning RIM can capitalize on this not just from an OS but also a communication standpoint. controlling your car from your phone or tablet is now easier. monitoring a production line is simple.

sure there are apps already in place for these things, but none offer the security that RIM offers and we all know security is where RIM dominates.

i personally thing RIM buying QNX from harmon kardon may have been one of the best things for both companies. now QNX has the resourses to take their core system to new levels and blackberry is able to utilize those levels in their devices. win win
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-13-12 07:24 PM
    The one thing that caught my attention on the qnx Porsche was the mention of qnet. So while other platforms may be able to talk to QNX devices, BB10 will be able to integrate with other based QNX devices via qnet which is built into the QNX.
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-13-12 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD