Tonight I noticed two specks of dust under my screen, one quite noticeable when the screen is off. Both are near the usb port. I have had my 9900 ten days shy of 2 months. The first thing I did was a search for dust under the screen. In reading the posts it seemed to me most people were noticing dust after having their blackberry for 2 or 3 months. I am just wondering if there is a reason why after 2 or 3 months the dust starts appearing and not before then? This is pretty disappointing since my 9700 never had dust under the screen after 2+ years.
    05-05-12 02:52 AM
    I have had dust appear under the screen of every BB I've owned. The issue is they don't have the LCD/digitiser sealed off, so when it's in your pocket dust gets in through the port and collects eventually under the screen. And it's irritating.

All the cells I've owned, only the BBs have ever done this. I used to use a vacuum, canned air, and eventually I have to crack the case on my 8330 periodically to clean it out.

It's annoying that a $600 device does that.

Sent from my BB Bold 9900 using Tapatalk.
    05-05-12 03:20 AM
    Renee, are you making this up too? hahaha jk
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-05-12 03:58 AM
    the reason for the dust , simple , DESTINY !
    05-05-12 06:04 AM
    Reneebob is right. This is really frustrating to have though.
    It makes your phone look ugly. I should return it asap.
    I have mine now more then 8/9 months and luckily not any single dust to notice!
    If i had it couldn't live with it, imagine your screen is all covered up in dust.
    So ewwwwwww
    05-05-12 07:23 AM
    Out of ALL the BlackBerry devices I have owned, this "dust" thing under the screen has never happened to me, but then again I don't put my BlackBerry in my pocket. I'm wondering if it's a combination of moisture (ever so slight) and lint particles (microscopic) build up over time. I guess I'm old fashioned cause I use a belt clip type case to carry my BlackBerry devices.
    05-05-12 07:32 AM
    I've been using using BB's for several years and I've never had dust under the screen. I never carry my phone in my pocket.
    05-05-12 08:09 AM
    i just got my 9930 a couple of weeks ago, after two years with a Storm 2. About six months into using the Storm 2, a big, fat speck of *something* settled in, right around the middle of the screen. It was difficult to not be driven crazy by it, at first. The gap around the first Storm's screen was even bigger than with the Storm 2, and it gathered a whole bunch of crap under the screen.

It's good to have a nice, clean screen again, and I'm thinking that not carrying it in my pocket might sound like the way to keep it that way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 09:10 AM
    I always carry my phones in my pockets and i have no issue's with specks/dust.
    It's just a faulty digitizer that got alligned faulty on the LCD.
    05-05-12 09:14 AM
    Out of ALL the BlackBerry devices I have owned, this "dust" thing under the screen has never happened to me, but then again I don't put my BlackBerry in my pocket. I'm wondering if it's a combination of moisture (ever so slight) and lint particles (microscopic) build up over time. I guess I'm old fashioned cause I use a belt clip type case to carry my BlackBerry devices.
    This is how carry my bb. Very rarely is it in my pocket. I will take back to the store and see what they say. Thanks guys!
    05-05-12 10:11 AM
    I have dust in my camera lense. Bold 9780. No dust in my flash lense. Explain that one to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780
    05-05-12 10:22 AM
    the onlt device that i experienced the dust thing with was that gosh darn storm!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 11:45 AM
    Of all BBs I owned, it only happened to my 9800

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 01:36 PM
    I have it on my 9900 and got it on my playbook as well after sending it literaly 7-8 times to get it the dust underneath the screen out and still the is a specs of dust under the screen I just gave up...
    05-05-12 01:44 PM
    I have dust in my camera lense. Bold 9780. No dust in my flash lense. Explain that one to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780
    Easy call on this, disassemble it and blow the dust out.
    05-05-12 01:45 PM
    I've had that happen to my 8330 and 9800. Coincidentally those were the only 2 I carried in my pocket. The rest I used with holsters.
    05-06-12 03:09 AM
    I've had 3 blackberries & a playbook and have been fortunate enough not to have had this issue. I've always used a holster & don't carry my bbs in my pocket. Don't know for sure if that has anything to do with it but might be a contributing factor for some.
    05-06-12 12:50 PM
    I do have some dust under my screen. No dust in camera/bold/flash area, thankfully. and honestly, with the privacy screen on my phone now, I can't see the dust. I know it's still there.
    05-06-12 02:37 PM
    Ohhhhh crap. I'm lying here in a dark room and just noticed a pretty significant light bleed between the headphone jack and usb port. I can actually press down and close the gap.

JFC RIM?! What the heck is up with build issues?!

Let me hop to my iphone to take a pic.

I prefer no case with my BBs but I may have no choice now if I want to keep dust out.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 04:07 AM
    Here...

Attachment 109609

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    05-07-12 04:14 AM
    Attachment 109610

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    05-07-12 04:15 AM
    Reeneebob, I find it difficult to see anything from these pictures. Exactly what are they supposed to show? Maybe the dust particles is some form of conspiracy by RIM, designed to show up after a certain amount of time to force consumers into purchasing a new phone earlier than expected
    Last edited by spencerdl; 05-07-12 at 04:57 AM.
    05-07-12 04:53 AM
    See that half inch of white light?

That's a large separation between the bottom and top housing to let lots of pretty dust into the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 05:00 AM
    Easy call on this, disassemble it and blow the dust out.
    Many are not "comfortable" with taking their BB apart, some should never try. This was a HUGE problem with the 87xx series. it is ashame that RIM is still having this problem.
    05-07-12 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD