Just received this news from my Social Feeds about Google possibly getting a patent for making a Google Nexus Slider to appeal to Us BlackBerry Fans. Android is really trying to dominate.

Not Good for RIM.

They even have an illustration of this slider.

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?oe=UTF-8...-slider-phone/

(Tried to paste whole article on here from my phone but this CB app does not allow for Copy and Paste...maybe that should be implemented)

*Edit had to go into mobile forums to paste whole article*

Google patent app points to possible Nexus slider phone
    A patent application from Google's head of Android seems to be on the fast-track to create a phone to appeal to BlackBerry fans.

by Eric Mack April 29, 2012 8:43 PM PDT

Follow @ericcmack

It appears there will be no new BlackBerry phones
    coming out of Research In Motion's annual smartphone shindig, BlackBerry World, this week, but Google could be looking to pick up some of that slack very soon if a new patent filing is any indication.

The patent application, published late last week, gives top billing to Android chief Andy Rubin and details a design for a smartphone with a slide-out keyboard. A hard keyboard would be a first for Google's trademark line of Nexus phones, if that is what this application actually portends.

There's a few hints that the filing is serious business, namely that Rubin's name is on it and that it went from submission in January to being published this month -- much faster than the typical 18-month turn-around time.

Much of the patent filing details the actual slide-out mechanism, including a few different options, but they'd all look more or less the same to the user. Google stresses the benefits of the mechanisms, noting that the configurations allow for a significant amount of keyboard space with room for larger keys or even the inclusion of a mouse or a trackpad on the hard keyboard itself.

Google's latest patent application could reveal an upcoming Nexus phone to appeal to BlackBerry refugees.

(Credit: Screenshot by Eric Mack / CNET )
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by calicocat2010; 04-29-12 at 11:23 PM.
    04-29-12 11:18 PM
    I would be interested in a nexus slider. I have the Galaxy Nexus and has been an amazing device thus far. Great battery life, tons of apps, and functionality out of the box. Simply one of the devices out there. Virtual keyboard is a breeze to type on, super responsive, and feels really good in the hand. Nexus slider will be very compelling with a great physical keyboard which would add more real estate.
    04-29-12 11:41 PM
    That's nice but I like were BB is going with BB10 the playbook ui is already good and I can't wait to see how BB10 stacks up. Been down the android road and won't be back any time soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-30-12 01:15 AM
    I'm confused. What are they patenting? From the diagram, it looks like a side slider. I've owned two WM side sliders. IIRC, there already has been at least one Android version. So, I guess I'm missing what's patentable.
    04-30-12 01:20 AM
    I never understand the wording of these articles. Is it done on purpose to provide a negative slant towards Blackberry??
    Read the last statement. It says the Nexus will appeal to "Blackberry Refugees". WTF is that supposed to mean??
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-30-12 03:11 AM
    ya Im a little confused too. but it definitely looks like Google is threatened by BB10 and how its going to turn the tide for RIM
    04-30-12 05:13 AM
    Droid 1, 2, 3 4 also had this. I had the 2 with Froyo. Was not a BlackBerry experience.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 05:18 AM
    How is a landscape slider supposed to persuade loyal BB users to android? Even RIM's slider is a portrait, which IMO is far superior then having to flip the device sideways every time I want to type something. Also the keyboard will be no where as good as RIM's. The physical keyboard is one thing RIM has always gotten right.

Hasn't there always been some sort of landscape slider by samsung running android? Well I know samsung has a landscape slider, just not sure if it runs some flavor of android.
    kbz1960 and Foreverup like this.
    04-30-12 06:58 AM
    That doesn't point towards a nexus slider, they have had multiple android devices with the side slider like in the diagram.
    04-30-12 07:40 AM
    How is a landscape slider supposed to persuade loyal BB users to android? Even RIM's slider is a portrait, which IMO is far superior then having to flip the device sideways every time I want to type something. Also the keyboard will be no where as good as RIM's. The physical keyboard is one thing RIM has always gotten right.

Hasn't there always been some sort of landscape slider by samsung running android? Well I know samsung has a landscape slider, just not sure if it runs some flavor of android.
    Heck yeah landscape sliders suck IMO. Plus any android has never come close to BB keyboard, again IMO.
    04-30-12 09:12 AM
    The article appears to indicate that the patent would be specifically about the slider mechanism, designed in such a way that the area for the keyboard is larger, which would allow larger keys and possibly the inclusion of a touchpad.
    04-30-12 09:23 AM
    Just because you make a keyboard slider does not mean it will be the look and feel of a BB Slider.... Use my 9800 extensively and did not use a keyboard before... really like it... tried a couple of Android.... just does not feel the same... so do not know if because I am use to using my 9800 or as most say the keyboard on BB is the best.....
    04-30-12 09:23 AM
    ya Im a little confused too. but it definitely looks like Google is threatened by BB10 and how its going to turn the tide for RIM
    Hee-La-Re-Us

Yep, that's it. Google is scared.
    Premium1 likes this.
    04-30-12 12:07 PM
    I dont think they are scare but def trying to take in more BB users. But its not just the fact that there is a keyboard, its the form factor of the BB keyoard that we are hooked with!! they can try and im sure theyll gain some users but hey its all fair
    04-30-12 01:51 PM
    Wait - I thought keyboards were going the way of the dinosaurs and nobody wants them.

Doesn't matter. Like dbmalloy suggested, nobody can make a keyboard like a BB.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    04-30-12 02:43 PM
    Omg this is nothing new how is this hurting RIM? Androids first phone was a slider. the keyboard on the slider Galaxy sucks and this one on the new Nexus wont be any different from the looks of the diagram. Nobody Makes a keyboard like RIM period.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 03:53 PM
    Wait - I thought keyboards were going the way of the dinosaurs and nobody wants them.

Yah I know. Keyboards are so 2008. It's a niche market, don't you know....enhanced feature phones, I've heard it said....poor Google.....evidently dying....
    04-30-12 05:40 PM
    Number 1... The picture shown is a droid
    Number 2... Android is not designed to use a physical keyboard, hense why the htc chacha and desire z were such big failures, and why touchscreen only droids have ruled motorola sales since the droid x appeared
    Number 3... IF google release a nexus slider, i would expect it to be a nexus tablet based on an upgraded version of the asus slider. Nexus is the title for androids flagship device, it would make sense for their flagship tablet to be a nexus.
    Number 4... Android is a touchscreen os. And the main selling point on these devices is thickness. No phone will sell if their is a non keyboard version thats slimmer.
    Number 5... Those of us who use a bb because of the keyboard dont like that it has a keyboard, we like the specific keyboard. Android making phones with keyboards wont pull way rim users, simply because those of us here for the keyboard are here for THIS keyboard, not just any old one.
    Number 6. Are we even sure google have patented anything? Or has the recent motorola buyout lead to them transferring patents onto the google brand?
    04-30-12 05:52 PM
    Just received this news from my Social Feeds about Google possibly getting a patent for making a Google Nexus Slider to appeal to Us BlackBerry Fans. Android is really trying to dominate.

Not Good for RIM.

They even have an illustration of this slider.

(Credit: Screenshot by Eric Mack / CNET )
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Geez, I know RIM is supposed to be a dinosaur, but that illustration of the Android Slider is so retro it should have sideburns.
    04-30-12 05:56 PM
    The phone in the diagram is basically a G1 with more buttons. It isn't anything new, and there are plenty of Android sliders. A new Nexus phone of any type would be cool, really.

That said, Motorola already makes phones that are just Blackberry phones running Android - the Pro, XPRT, and Admiral fit that bill. Motorola even did a straight ripoff of the Blackberry keyboard.

I'll also note that Android actually was designed with a physical keyboard in mind. The initial Android prototypes were basically Blackberry ripoffs, and when I bought my G1 way back in 2008, it was months before the device was updated to include a software keyboard.
    04-30-12 10:43 PM
    Looks ugly to me. BlackBerry still on the top of QWERTY.

+1
    05-01-12 04:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD