Hi,

My contract is up tomorrow...YEAH!!! I currently have the Bold 9650. I love my Blackberry but am feeling the pressure to switch to the I-Phone The bottom line is that I use my e-mail, calendar and internet the most on my blackberry. I also want to be able to use my phone out of the country. I also text often. I do not LOVE touch phones but admittedly..have never had one. I am not a power app person so the apps do not mean so much to me although many things that I have wanted are now only available on the I-phone or the Android. I have a few questions:

1) How is the internet service on the I-phone? Is it quick?
    2) Does I-Phone have a calendar that is as good as the one on Blackberry? I put all of my appointments on my calendar and I need a phone with a very good one.
    3) Can I use the I-phone out of the country?
    4) Does the I-phone have Wi-Fi capability?
    5) How is the ease of transferring music to the phone and pictures from the phone?
    6) Can music other than I-tunes be downloaded?
    7) Does Verizon still give you I think 30 days to test drive the device?
    8) Is there any difference if I get my upgrade through Verizon directly or an authorized dealer?

Thanks.
    04-28-12 08:28 AM
    I think imore.com might be a good place to get a lot of those questions answered. Having said that my wife has an iPhone and couldn't be happier with it. Good luck and enjoy whatever phone you get.
    04-28-12 08:45 AM
    Aren't you in the wrong forum for these questions. Goto iMore.com.
    04-28-12 08:45 AM
    Last night I switched my wife from her iPhone 4s to my old 9810 because sending email on the iPhone has been problematic since she got it. Before you make the switch you should investigate the email. In our case, the email is hosted by our local cable company and the error can come when using wifi and cellular data at the same time. To send via either the cable companies smtp server or Bell's smtp server, you need to be on the respective network. The iPhone seems to get stuck sending and not automatically roll over to the next smtp server in the list. A call to Apple said it was a common problem with people using pop email and that the problem is not Apples, but the cable companies locking down their smtp servers to only devices on their network. Their suggestion was to get a different type of email, like gmail, or just not use wifi on the phone when sending email.

In the case of a BlackBerry, we send through BlackBerry's servers and avoid the problem.

The second problem with the iPhone is that you cannot email your calendar appointments unless your calendar is on the iCloud or an active sync or Microsoft Exchange account.

You may want to check closely on the return privileges of the iPhone in case you run into any of these problems.
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-28-12 at 08:57 AM.
    voltaire and classc1 like this.
    04-28-12 08:55 AM
    Skip the iToy and get a Bold 9930...the mothership of all smartphones. I have a 9900 (personal) and a 9930 (work) and LOVE them!! OS 7.1 is snappy and robust. Battery life rocks and keyboard is the best on any smartphone to date.

Ps. Don't give in to the peer pressure. You don't have to own an iPhone to be "cool" or "hip".
    carullo, Chrisy, classc1 and 1 others like this.
    04-28-12 09:36 AM
    iMore for all your iPhone/iPad/iPod needs.
    Chrisy and classc1 like this.
    04-28-12 09:38 AM
    Like some others have said, go to imore.com to get real answers.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-28-12 09:44 AM
    Hi,

My contract is up tomorrow...YEAH!!! I currently have the Bold 9650. I love my Blackberry but am feeling the pressure to switch to the I-Phone The bottom line is that I use my e-mail, calendar and internet the most on my blackberry. I also want to be able to use my phone out of the country. I also text often. I do not LOVE touch phones but admittedly..have never had one. I am not a power app person so the apps do not mean so much to me although many things that I have wanted are now only available on the I-phone or the Android. I have a few questions:

2) Does I-Phone have a calendar that is as good as the one on Blackberry? I put all of my appointments on my calendar and I need a phone with a very good one.
    5) How is the ease of transferring music to the phone and pictures from the phone?
    8) Is there any difference if I get my upgrade through Verizon directly or an authorized dealer?

Thanks.
    1. The speed of internet service will depend on the speed of your data connection. It also depends on your service provider and how loaded the network is.

2. Don't know.

3. The AT&T iPhone is a world phone. On Verizon, the iPhone 4S is a world phone, but the iPhone 4 is a CDMA-only phone with very limited service outside the US.

4. Yes.

5. Handled through iTunes. Some love it, some hate it. There are alternatives to iTunes out there if you really want to avoid iTunes.

6. Not sure what you mean. You can load your own MP3 files on to an iPhone using iTunes (or a third-party app)

7. Verizon has a 14 day return policy on phones now.

8. Don't know. I get my devices from a Verizon corporate store or the Verizon website.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    classc1 likes this.
    04-28-12 10:35 AM
    The iphone would personally be my last choice. IOS is boring and apple in general sucks and is over priced.
    04-28-12 10:38 AM
    It's on VZWs (if you stay VZW) 3G network. 0-3Mbps should be your speeds.

The iPhone calendar is good. It syncs to exchange account, iCloud, GMail etc..

Yes.

Yes.

Have all your music in iTunes and select to sync your music and that's all it takes. Same with photos. Check the option to sync photos to iPhone.

Yes, but it must be placed in iTunes to sync.

I think it might be 15 days now.

Thanks.
    I buy my iPhones through Apple usually, but there really should be no difference with the purchase.
    04-28-12 10:40 AM
    I've never liked the iPhone due to it's boring, unattractive user interface. I'm also a keyboard person. Furthermore, I'm biased. (Notice you're on CrackBerry.com lol)

For the record, too, it's spelled "iPhone" not I-phone and "BlackBerry" not blackberry lol.
    Just Me likes this.
    04-28-12 11:34 AM
    Dude, if you are considering a different device than BB go for an Android. IPhones are flashy and are not work horses. IPhone has excellent marketing and is a mediocre device. Go Android dude or BB9900.
    04-28-12 11:42 AM
    My issue with the Iphone has been the email.... Spoiled on the BB as emals seem to come automatically.... Configured a friends Iphone and took 4 minutes for the confimation email to show up.... my main reason for dropping the Iphone was email issues... so if it is that important to you may want to stay with BB.....

I do like a lot of the Apple ecosystem so my solution to the app withdrawl I had when I switched was to get an Ipod.... basically an Iphone without the phone.....
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-28-12 12:15 PM
    I love the 4S. Totally smoked my 9900. Nice full html email. No transcated email like my BlackBerry. Both my Exchange email and yahoo email are on push. Much better battery life on my 4S then my 9900. You will really enjoy iPhone.
    04-28-12 02:15 PM
    Thank you all so much. I did not know about the IPhone site...I've only owned a BlackBerry I will take a look. You guys have really helped me a lot. If I can try it for 14 days I may.

Mnhockey- I TOTALLY feel pressured. Everyone makes it seem as if I am the only one that still uses a BB. I've always loved my BB although I think I liked my Curve more than this Bold. There are a few quirks with this Bold and I was never good at uploading all of the new updates so I've been stuck with a few issues. Still and all...love the e-mail and calendar on my BB.
    MRSBROWN2006 likes this.
    04-28-12 08:17 PM
    I was a die hard blackberry fan and I still love blackberry. Here are my honest answeres/opinions.

Way faster than blackberry. Literally light years ahead of of where blackberry is. Not to mention the number of sites hat optimized their sites to this mobile platform.

It depends if you had BES with your blackberry. I only had BIS and I can tell you iPhone does sync EVERYTHING seemlessly. Behind the scenes, the iPhone will allow me to go into my exchange account and pull up not only contacts but also the system server global address book. Not only that, but also my recent/recommended users. Its pretty amazing

The calendar options, is good and gets the job done. But it is not as business friendly as blackberry. HOWEVER, if you don't have BES, then iPhone is a huge jump in syncing calendars. I was so frustrated in BIS when I had to tether my phone to my computer to sync calendars. Bottom line, I have 4 calendars and all sync wireless from phone to computer/system and system/computer to phone.

Maybe but this won't be as easy as getting the permissions with a blackberry. I believ you need to be off contract toget your phone unlocked and/or jailbreak.

It has EXCELLENT wifi capability and works smoother than blackberry.

Blackberry and iPhone can both tether sync to iTunes in he same way.

iPhone can wirelessly sync pictures and music.

Not sure - I don't care about music.

Perhaps but I've "heard" you only have 15 days with apple products. I could be wrong.

Again my guess is, with Apple - no.

Additional thoughts
    At the end of the day, iPhone permeates your life way better than a blackberry.
    I MISS the battery life from my 9700. Solo much! I get about 13 hours out of my phone; unlike my 9700 that gave me at min 48 hours.
    I get Burt by he autocorrect all the time. I miss he keyboard.
    He apps are better BECAUSE you have more internal memory this you can make larger more versatile apps that can do more faster and smoother.
    iOS is VERY smooths and NEVER hangs or has memory leaks.
    iOS will not let you download an app that can impact THE OS.
    You cannot attach a file to an email - you have to send files in a SEPERATE email. (hate his)
    All document files must be stored in a cloud. You cannot store on your phone. Therefore you need 2-3 apps to get that file into an email. Annoying!

Best of luck
    Last edited by Judson50; 04-28-12 at 11:48 PM.
    classc1 likes this.
    04-28-12 11:44 PM
    I was a die hard blackberry fan and I still love blackberry. Here are my honest answeres/opinions.

Way faster than blackberry. Literally light years ahead of of where blackberry is. Not to mention the number of sites hat optimized their sites to this mobile platform.

It depends if you had BES with your blackberry. I only had BIS and I can tell you iPhone does sync EVERYTHING seemlessly. Behind the scenes, the iPhone will allow me to go into my exchange account and pull up not only contacts but also the system server global address book. Not only that, but also my recent/recommended users. Its pretty amazing

The calendar options, is good and gets the job done. But it is not as business friendly as blackberry. HOWEVER, if you don't have BES, then iPhone is a huge jump in syncing calendars. I was so frustrated in BIS when I had to tether my phone to my computer to sync calendars. Bottom line, I have 4 calendars and all sync wireless from phone to computer/system and system/computer to phone.

Maybe but this won't be as easy as getting the permissions with a blackberry. I believ you need to be off contract toget your phone unlocked and/or jailbreak.

It has EXCELLENT wifi capability and works smoother than blackberry.

Blackberry and iPhone can both tether sync to iTunes in he same way.

iPhone can wirelessly sync pictures and music.

Not sure - I don't care about music.

Perhaps but I've "heard" you only have 15 days with apple products. I could be wrong.

Again my guess is, with Apple - no.

Additional thoughts
    At the end of the day, iPhone permeates your life way better than a blackberry.
    I MISS the battery life from my 9700. Solo much! I get about 13 hours out of my phone; unlike my 9700 that gave me at min 48 hours.
    I get Burt by he autocorrect all the time. I miss he keyboard.
    He apps are better BECAUSE you have more internal memory this you can make larger more versatile apps that can do more faster and smoother.
    iOS is VERY smooths and NEVER hangs or has memory leaks.
    iOS will not let you download an app that can impact THE OS.
    You cannot attach a file to an email - you have to send files in a SEPERATE email. (hate his)
    All document files must be stored in a cloud. You cannot store on your phone. Therefore you need 2-3 apps to get that file into an email. Annoying!

Best of luck
    You can store documents on your device

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    classc1 likes this.
    04-29-12 12:17 AM
    Thank you all so much. I did not know about the IPhone site...I've only owned a BlackBerry . Still and all...love the e-mail and calendar on my BB.
    Since I moved my wife off the iPhone 4s a few days ago, I have asked iPhone users I meet if they are having email sending problems. They all seem to have problems with some email accounts. I think the iPhone is fine with cloud based email solutions or Exchange server email, but if you still have a legacy pop email, you will have problems sending sometimes when your iPhone has both wifi and cellular data on.

In regards to the browser on the 9810, she has no complaints in comparison to her iPhone.

International travel will be better with the BlackBerry too, even using your existing provider. For example, last night I was talking to a friend that was away skiing for four days and his iPhone went through three thirty dollar data packs. Part of this is he was not using wifi much, probably because of email sending problem. In addition, he was getting lots of emails. In the case of emails, the Blackberry will allow you to wait until on wifi to download the rest of larger emails or attachments to save on data roaming charges. I was away for a week at about the same time and my son and I only used about $12 each of data on our BlackBerries, most of that when on the highway when using the mapping software .
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-29-12 at 08:40 AM.
    classc1 likes this.
    04-29-12 08:30 AM
    Most of what you're looking for "can" be done with an iPhone. Now, how effectively - that's subjective. Push notifications/email are nowhere near as reliable. The calendar is hit or miss, but generally adequate. Maps is fantastic. The iUniverse is driven by apps, and it's true - there's always "an app for that", free or paid. Out of the box, the iPhone is more media/web-friendly - you'll have a bit of work to do to get it tuned to your specifics.

Jailbreaking is the only way I've found to get my iPhone to be as functional as necessary for me - something that (obviously) isn't required with BBs. The jailbreak community is great, and has turned the iPhone/iPad into an exponentially more useful and productive device.

If you have a specific need that the BB isn't filling, definitely switch. Screw some ridiculous brainwashed brand-loyalty. Along those same lines, don't switch from what works for you because of some kids looking at your phone funny, or whatever "pressure" to switch you may be under.

Mosey on over to iMore.com and ModMyi.com for more iInfo.
    classc1 likes this.
    04-29-12 08:33 AM
    Judson- I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions so throughly. I bet people ask this question all of the time yet it's people like you that are so kind to take the time to answer. Much appreciated. I did check out the I-phone site and they said that you can use it internationally, but based upon what Robsteve and others have said, it seems like the roaming charges are insane as compared to BB. That is a problem for me. I also REALLY need a good calendar. Whereas apps may be important to some..I need my e-mail and calendar or the phone is of no use to me. I also read that they do not have an LED alert for new messages. I don't like that. I also am no fan of touch screens as I have said. I do think that I still use Pop servers. At least that is what I remember.

CrackberryV79- I think you hit the nail on the head...I am being pressured socially to change to an I-Phone when I am perfectly happy with my BB!! I am a grown woman...it's insane!! LOL I thought that I would have headed to Verizon already but I am still in the house. I am really confused as to what to do. Just because I already love something..does that mean that there isn't something better out there? I THINK that I will try it out for 14 days and if I don't like it..I will return it.

As far as jail-breaking, I have never been computer savvy enough to do what most of you are able to do on your phones. I seem to botch these things so for me..I need something workable out of the gate unless there is something easy enough for me to figure out.

Two more questions...does I-Phone come with free GPS? If I decide to stick with BB..which one should I get? As I said I need wi-fi and international capability. Thank you so much.
    04-29-12 08:56 AM
    The roaming charges arent based on what phone you have. it is carrier based. I have never had a problem sending email from my iPhone. the problem i had with blackberry is when bis went down i couldnt depend on my data service. I have not had that issue with an apple device yet.
    04-29-12 10:15 AM
    The roaming charges arent based on what phone you have. it is carrier based. I have never had a problem sending email from my iPhone. the problem i had with blackberry is when bis went down i couldnt depend on my data service. I have not had that issue with an apple device yet.
    RIM's compression of data sent to it's devices means less data is used leading to lower roaming charges compared to Android or iOS devices.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-12 10:19 AM
    I love the 4S. Totally smoked my 9900. Nice full html email. No transcated email like my BlackBerry. Both my Exchange email and yahoo email are on push. Much better battery life on my 4S then my 9900. You will really enjoy iPhone.
    What he said.

I'm back on my iPhone right now, 9900 is back in the drawer for a while, and it's just so snappy. Both have strong points, but I have no issues with calendar appointments at all and the iPhone does everything the BB does and more with ease. Unfortunately it's been sunny here and my 9900 has that oh so handy bug of not working in direct sunlight. Very handy that is.

You wont get an honest answer for the most part here because (with all due respect) a lot of the anti iPhone posters have never used nor owned the 4. A lot of misinformation is presented as fact sadly. iMore will have more unbiased opinion.

Good luck!

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    joe_fresh likes this.
    04-29-12 10:30 AM
    You can attach files to email with the iPhone. Of course through a paid app, the same one I bought for my BB when I had it to be able to do anything with documents. Check DocsToGo. The iPhone app is truly amazing in what it does with documents, including local storage, cloud support (save directly and attach to text/ email directly from a cloud), and the ability to email multiple documents. Well worth the $16.
    04-29-12 12:14 PM
    Go for the 9930!
    Just Me likes this.
    04-29-12 12:18 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD