And how did it do this?

I plugged in my new HDMI cable to my new big telly, used my BB as a remote and played HD video and games on the TV from the comfort of my sofa.

Had to be careful surfing tho....

But what a toolset - my BB and PB are together!

Can you do this with all tablets? If not RIM really need to get their lights out from under their bushels
    04-27-12 03:51 PM
    Fun eh!
    04-27-12 03:54 PM
    It's not the only tablet that can do this, and Apple's taking a secondary approach as well through AirPlay, but the PlayBook definitely gets points for connectivity with a BB smartphone to use as a remote!
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-27-12 04:23 PM
    It's not the only tablet that can do this, and Apple's taking a secondary approach as well through AirPlay, but the PlayBook definitely gets points for connectivity with a BB smartphone to use as a remote!
    I can hear the development director for Apple yelling at his staff make that happen now! Too late... AirPlay doesn't even come close!
    04-27-12 04:32 PM
    Can you do this with all tablets? If not RIM really need to get their lights out from under their bushels
    Android has had this capability for awhile. You can use another android phone as a controller but this is more of a gimmick that being actually useful. What you want to do is use an actual game controller if you want to play games. See the video link below: a phone is hooked up via HDMI while someone uses a bluetooth controller to play a game.

The really cool thing are the emulators for NES, N64, Sega, Playstation games for a virtually unlimited selection of console games.

The more you know...
    Last edited by notafanboy; 04-27-12 at 05:18 PM.
    04-27-12 05:15 PM
    Android has had this capability for awhile. You can use another android phone as a controller but this is more of a gimmick that being actually useful. What you want to do is use an actual game controller if you want to play games. See the video link below: a phone is hooked up via HDMI while someone uses a bluetooth controller to play a game.

The really cool thing are the emulators for NES, N64, Sega, Playstation games for a virtually unlimited selection of console games.

The more you know...
    The only thing BB phones and the PB need are the game controllers. The emulators are already here and the PB and BB phones can be connected to TVs. So the only advantage the Androids and iOS devices have are the controllers.
    04-27-12 05:25 PM
    I hooked up my bb to my hd tv last week and wow! Full 1080p videos great use of PlayBook and a real usp in my opinion.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-27-12 05:35 PM
    I am surprised no one is noting how you can upgrade your micro sd card on your BB, fill it full of music then play it on your PB - leaving your PB memory available for other things like recording HD videos or playing uploaded movies. Still a smart combination IMO.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-27-12 05:40 PM
    i am having problems using my hdmi when ever i plug the lead in the playbook does not recognise it as being plugged in.
    04-27-12 05:41 PM
    i am having problems using my hdmi when ever i plug the lead in the playbook does not recognise it as being plugged in.
    I had that happen with a USB cable and switched to different one. For some reason the other USB cable plugged up on the MicroUSB connector end and wouldn't allow it to fully seat into the PB socket.
    04-27-12 05:51 PM
    How do I setup that remote control thing. I have bb and playbook.
    04-27-12 06:06 PM
    I had that happen with a USB cable and switched to different one. For some reason the other USB cable plugged up on the MicroUSB connector end and wouldn't allow it to fully seat into the PB socket.
    will give it a try thanks
    04-27-12 06:24 PM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bridge
    http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook.../?=topicbridge
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 04-27-12 at 06:36 PM.
    04-27-12 06:30 PM
    I am surprised no one is noting how you can upgrade your micro sd card on your BB, fill it full of music then play it on your PB - leaving your PB memory available for other things like recording HD videos or playing uploaded movies. Still a smart combination IMO.
    Wrong Title -- oops
    Last edited by canuck_67; 04-27-12 at 06:32 PM. Reason: messed up
    04-27-12 06:31 PM
    Check out this video:

aznspiki likes this.
    04-27-12 06:32 PM
    I classify that as one of those rare but exciting......WOW.....moments
    04-27-12 06:33 PM
    Ha, my HDMI cable just came today, but I probably won't get to mess with it until late tomorrow or Sunday. I just bought Plants vs Zombies and Dead Space, so it will be innn-teresting!
    04-27-12 06:55 PM
    What games are people playing using their BB remote?

I bought the new RIM BT keyboard. The only game that works with the keyboard is Monopoly. I have tried at least 50+ games with it.
    04-27-12 07:13 PM
    There's some talk about Wireless HDMI, yes I know, it's supposed to be "dead" but imagine using your PlayBook as a controller to project Asphalt 6 or Modern Combat, heck even Angry Birds Space to your TV via Wireless HDMI that'd be just way too awesome
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-27-12 07:28 PM
    The only thing BB phones and the PB need are the game controllers. The emulators are already here and the PB and BB phones can be connected to TVs. So the only advantage the Androids and iOS devices have are the controllers.
    RIM has the most innovative gaming peripheral at GDC | SemiAccurate
    04-27-12 11:46 PM
    There's some talk about Wireless HDMI, yes I know, it's supposed to be "dead" but imagine using your PlayBook as a controller to project Asphalt 6 or Modern Combat, heck even Angry Birds Space to your TV via Wireless HDMI that'd be just way too awesome
    Just did that recently since I got the hdmi.. It's amazing to play around.. I've got a 10ft cable so it's at a good distance.. the remote is cool but some getting used to..

Many games don't output the Audio via HDMI.. Ag:space being one of them
    04-28-12 12:35 AM
    I managed to pair my Torch to my Toshiba Android tablet and used it as a remote as well!! Awesome!!!
    04-28-12 01:42 AM
    Check out this video:

I had the bridge app on my phone for awhile to check email and stuff but didnt know I can also use it for remote control until I saw that video. I just tested out and it's pretty cool. Thank you so much.
    torches likes this.
    04-28-12 03:19 AM
    How do you play music from the bb to playbook?
    04-28-12 03:25 AM
    And how did it do this?

I plugged in my new HDMI cable to my new big telly, used my BB as a remote and played HD video and games on the TV from the comfort of my sofa.

Had to be careful surfing tho....

But what a toolset - my BB and PB are together!

How long is your HDMI cable?
    04-28-12 03:30 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD