I think I overestimated how much I would use a tablet as days and weeks go by without my picking the PB up.

I don't watch films on it, preferring my netbook; I've never been remotely interested in games on a tablet; and I've stopped using it as an ereader because it was too heavy? plus my iPod or phone are better for that (imo).

I noticed today when I picked it up that there was an update? Downloaded and installed it, but so what? Nothing new here.

Before I just sell it, has anyone any ideas about new and interesting things I can do with the PB? I even got bored with its cameras as my phone is better (:
    04-27-12 10:36 AM
    the PB is too heavy as an ereader? and you would use your ipod or a phone as one. I pretty much stopped reading your post after that because you might as well use an ipod nano to read a book.

What exactly where you planning on using the PlayBook for when you bought it? Obviously if you carry your netbook everywhere chances are you wouldn't need a tablet, but the whole point of a tablet is so you wouldn't need a netbook.
    04-27-12 10:44 AM
    Strange - my wife would agree with you, but I find myself using mine more and more lately after initially thinking the same thing. Nothing "new & exciting" to suggest but for me, if I need to look up a phone number, check the weather, bus schedule/movie times/library holds, watch a few YouTube videos, play a few games, check the forums, update Facebook / Twitter / whatever? I grab the 'Book - it's always on (standby). I rarely trot out my laptop at all anymore, except to check out new sideloaded android apps. I realize most if not all of this could be done on any phone, but those tiny screens + aging eyes = badness.

My only issue is that it does suck for music which is unfortunate. A decent (native) music player with a good EQ along the lines of Poweramp would quickly solve that problem. As far as the ereader capability, the sideloaded Kindle app works great - and bridges to my reading glasses to create a seamless user experience.

Most interesting of all is the future potential to be hopefully unlocked by Cascades and BB10.

Chin up - maybe you're just depressed.
    kbz1960 and tubbyandtattooed like this.
    04-27-12 10:55 AM
    I think I overestimated how much I would use a tablet as days and weeks go by without my picking the PB up.

I don't watch films on it, preferring my netbook; I've never been remotely interested in games on a tablet; and I've stopped using it as an ereader because it was too heavy? plus my iPod or phone are better for that (imo).

I noticed today when I picked it up that there was an update? Downloaded and installed it, but so what? Nothing new here.

Before I just sell it, has anyone any ideas about new and interesting things I can do with the PB? I even got bored with its cameras as my phone is better (:
    i have a mate in Scotland who wants to get one after seeing mine, pm me is you sell it and let me know how much you want...
    04-27-12 10:56 AM
    you might as well use an ipod nano to read a book
    hahah what a great idea!
    04-27-12 10:58 AM
    troll thread is troll
    04-27-12 11:00 AM
    Tablets just aren't for everyone.
    Chinookman and Geeoff like this.
    04-27-12 11:01 AM
    I tried using the bb phone kindle app. For short spurts - eh, I can do it. But the small screen and little text per page is just not suitable for ME for comfortable reading. So - phone reading - in a pinch.

Browsing convenience - it is just there.
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-27-12 11:03 AM
    I guess I missed the part on the spec sheet that said "The Playbook will provide you with endless entertainment. Just sit back and let the tablet do the work!"

Ah kids and their toys are soon separated ...
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    04-27-12 11:04 AM

I think I saw a squirrel in the back yard this morning, perhaps an old lady needing help crossing the road? I've got it, Knitting!
    Last edited by BBplaybookJS; 04-27-12 at 11:07 AM.
    04-27-12 11:05 AM
    -_- u can give it to me.... i'll find plenty uses for it
    Willard814 and diegonei like this.
    04-27-12 11:09 AM
    How about surfing the web as it can handle that MUCH better than both your iPhone and iPod combined! Much better HTML5 rendering and FLASH support.
    Creaulx likes this.
    04-27-12 11:10 AM
    80% of people I see with ipads (and tabs in general) play games. If you dont like gaming, then 20% of chances you will like your brand new tablet.

Tablets are very portable. Netbooks are almost as portable.

Then if you say iphones are better eReaders than a 7inch tab, youre clearly not the usual kind....
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    04-27-12 11:12 AM

I don't know about an Android tablet, but my iPad certainly bores me. My PB is much more interesting than the iPad. But I think an Android tablet would keep me more interested than an iPad because of the widgets and customization. Even though the PB doesn't have widgets or customization, the UI is so unique and interesting that I never get bored with it. If I do show signs of being bored with it, I think about the high-end music playing capabilities and listen to some high-quality tunes.
    04-27-12 11:19 AM
    I don't have an iPhone...I don't go that far... but a fairly good Xperia Arc S.

reading on a 4.2" device - which is light - is just a much better experience. I'm still struggling to find a use for the PB, perhaps just web browsing which, admittedly, is faster than booting up my netbook.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    04-27-12 11:19 AM

Then if you say iphones are better eReaders than a 7inch tab, youre clearly not the usual kind....
    That's a unique way of putting it, and the gentleman does seem rather unique.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-27-12 11:26 AM
    I don't have an iPhone...I don't go that far... but a fairly good Xperia Arc S.

reading on a 4.2" device - which is light - is just a much better experience. I'm still struggling to find a use for the PB, perhaps just web browsing which, admittedly, is faster than booting up my netbook.
    Yeah, I have a Sensation XL, which has a 4.7" screen and can read on it, surf the web, watch videos and so forth just fine. But the battery life kills all enjoyment with it - unless I have it connected to a power source. The battery life of my PB is so much better than any of my other portable devices - except my iPad - that it's so easy making a decision to take it with me out and about. If it wasn't for the huge, un-portable size of my iPad, I would take it with me when out and about. But the PB size is spot-on perfect for a portable tablet.
    Creaulx, Willard814 and ast_ph like this.
    04-27-12 11:28 AM
    I don't use mine as often anymore either. The "novelty" does wear off. My reduction is also related to my employer switching out our cell service so I went with a Android device for the 4g hotspot so I don't bridge to get corp email anymore. I still do have a 9800 but it's my personal phone. I bridge to it now, but my personal email volume is very low in comparison. (No, I don't use native mail and calendar).

Still, I watch movies when I travel, and browse the web when my laptop is off. There are a few games I play but I'm not a gamester. Overall, it's still a useful device for me.

I would only suggest you reconsider why you bought it in the first place. If those factors are still valid, maybe keep it a while longer and see. If not, sell it and move on.
    04-27-12 11:31 AM
    WOW. Why did you buy the device? After your long list here are some other ideas off the top of my head:

Have you tried to make music with it? Caustic and MorphWiz

Do you surf the web? Many browsers

Do you need an alarm clock? Native

Do you send or receive email? Native or web based

Do you produce documents? docs to go

Do you need a calculator? Native calculator

There are many more. You obviously do not need it; sell it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-27-12 11:35 AM
    Funny, a friend of mine basically was telling me the same thing, only in regards to his iPhone. After listing all the stuff he could do with it and how he was bored with all those options, I recommended he leave it on the table and go outside and play for a while.
    04-27-12 11:37 AM
    The sound of the email client, pinging my emails just pissed me off, so I unsynced it.

I DID like watching movies on the PB - after the Feb update it seemed that all my mkvs just played fine..and the PB does have great speakers and a pretty good screen..

And I did buy Book Reader which is a good ereader app, and while I was sat down somewhere reading I had no problems with the PB...but I do most of my reading in bed and either a 3.5" device - my iPod - or my phone is much better suited to this.

I got tired of connecting the PB to my netbook, tired of opening the documents folder and dragging and dropping the individual epubs...then tired of opening up Book Reader and importing them.

iTunes is actually a lot faster. And my experience with Stanza much better..it has been around a number of years.

Music? You're joking surely..the PB isn't good for music - it's inbuilt player is crap and severely lacking.
    04-27-12 11:46 AM
    The sound of the email client, pinging my emails just pissed me off, so I unsynced it.

I DID like watching movies on the PB - after the Feb update it seemed that all my mkvs just played fine..and the PB does have great speakers and a pretty good screen..

And I did buy Book Reader which is a good ereader app, and while I was sat down somewhere reading I had no problems with the PB...but I do most of my reading in bed and either a 3.5" device - my iPod - or my phone is much better suited to this.

I got tired of connecting the PB to my netbook, tired of opening the documents folder and dragging and dropping the individual epubs...then tired of opening up Book Reader and importing them.

iTunes is actually a lot faster. And my experience with Stanza much better..it has been around a number of years.

Music? You're joking surely..the PB isn't good for music - it's inbuilt player is crap and severely lacking.
    I was referring to the hardware side of it not the software side. The hardware produces outstanding quality audio sound. I'm an audiophile and that's why I mentioned the music capabilities.
    Willard814 and ambarmetta like this.
    04-27-12 11:49 AM
    I bought the PB on an impulse-buy as it was heavily reduced last Christmas.
    04-27-12 11:49 AM
    I was referring to the hardware side of it not the software side. The hardware produces outstanding quality audio sound. I'm an audiophile and that's why I mentioned the music capabilities.
    It sounds the same flat as anything else out there, that's using my SM3s and IE8s.

You can't be an audiophile if that's what you're calling yourself, lol.
    04-27-12 11:51 AM
    Tablets just aren't for everyone.
    Bingo....... Now sell it and move along 2something more to your liking thanks for sharing though......Btw i think society has bought a bill of goods that we need something new and exciting every few days ..... Use it as a daily tool and enjoy......
    04-27-12 11:53 AM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD