I have had several bbs and executed many OS upgrades without many issues until yesterday. I tried to upgrade from an early 9900 os acquired on the phone to 7.1.342. With the latest version of desktop I found the upgrade process freezing at points in the pre backup. The only thing I could do was terminate, after which the 9900 would not connect with desktop unless I did battery pull. I retried the process omitting the freeze point (egRMS) only to find something later down the chain would freeze. After many battery pulls , 3 reinstalls of bb desktop I managed to get to the end of the backup and install executed fine and restore worked fine. An added welcome bonus was the process reinstalled my apps which I did not expect. So after 24hrs, everything is good, battery is actually improved. BUT RIM can you really not come up with some insanely simple way for your users to upgrade their OS
    04-26-12 03:36 PM
    It's easy, I only need 5-10 mins to update the OS easy peasy.
    04-26-12 03:45 PM
    It would be great that you could update the OS using only the phone, exactly like IOS 5 from iphone, where you can update to the latest version without using a PC or MAC computer.
    04-26-12 04:34 PM
    OTA updates used to be available. They don't have them anymore?
    04-26-12 04:40 PM

lies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 04:48 PM
    You mean 5-10 minutes not counting 30-45 minutes of waiting. (Add another 45-60 minutes if you're on a BES.)
    04-26-12 06:26 PM
    You mean 5-10 minutes not counting 30-45 minutes of waiting. (Add another 45-60 minutes if you're on a BES.)
    Hahaha, I can update my OS while having conversations on BBM without the other people even knowing I was gone. It gets done usually in under 15 minutes.

BES doesn't count, as you have upgraded/reloaded the OS, and all that other crap is coming from your company.
    04-26-12 06:43 PM
    No i am seriously i don't need to wait 30 - 45 minutes lol.
    04-26-12 06:52 PM
    OTA updates are available from your carrier. I prefer to use apploader.
    04-26-12 06:55 PM
    RIM doesn't want to sell their devices to tech ignorant buyers/users and hackers don't use instructions. -_-
    04-26-12 08:50 PM
    @the OP. It's your PC environment, not the DM, OS or the device. I did the update in 20 minutes including a Java wipe to final reboot, and I took my time.
    04-26-12 10:16 PM
    normal upgrade just need around 10-20 minute. BB is one of the most easiest phone I ever has for upgrade OS if compare to my android.
    04-26-12 10:49 PM
    Hahaha, I can update my OS while having conversations on BBM without the other people even knowing I was gone. It gets done usually in under 15 minutes.

BES doesn't count, as you have upgraded/reloaded the OS, and all that other crap is coming from your company.
    If you count backup, upgrade, and restore, it's a lot longer than 15 minutes. More like 30 - 45. Then the BES takes another 45 - 60 minutes. Then you have to reinstall and/or reconfigure the apps. There goes another 30 minutes. Lots of waiting, numerous reboots, etc. Sure, maybe the one single step of the installation takes 15 minutes, but the whole process takes a lot longer.
    04-27-12 12:02 AM
    OTA updates are available from your carrier. I prefer to use apploader.
    Yup, sooo many things can go wrong OTA if you lose connection.
    04-27-12 02:05 PM
    Dumb the way they handle OTA...it should not install as it downloads, but rather fully download, and then install with the capability of a complete perfect rollback should the install go bad.
    04-27-12 05:45 PM
    Dumb the way they handle OTA...it should not install as it downloads, but rather fully download, and then install with the capability of a complete perfect rollback should the install go bad.

Right.

I also don't like OTA because you can't backup your data.

Worst idea ever lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-27-12 05:49 PM
    Mine are fast even without wiping beforehand.

Try backing up with DM, wiping, installing and restoring from DM for next time.
    04-28-12 10:46 PM
    DM worked fine for me after going into the Applications tab. Took about 20 min which included a full backup of data and all 20 apps. The nice part about going into Applications first allows you to delete or add core apps that won't delete from your devices Applications Manager. Works for me!

Note for the Op, just make sure you have a good usb/bb cable and plug into the correct usb on your pc. If you do this there is no need to wipe the Os first.
    Last edited by albee 1; 04-29-12 at 10:36 AM.
    04-29-12 10:33 AM
    It would be great that you could update the OS using only the phone, exactly like IOS 5 from iphone, where you can update to the latest version without using a PC or MAC computer.
    Wich is the most unsafe way to upgrade a OS like doing a brain surgery on a mobile ambulance...
    04-29-12 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD