04-24-12 02:23 PM
    Makes sense, but conspiracies are way more fun.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-24-12 02:31 PM
    Went to the link and read the article. I don't want to sound too critical but the news that NetFlix is hurting financially is not new and given the reality that if they had to slight a community they would choose the smallest makes perfect sense.

Just this morning on Bloomberg (I know I need a life) they talked about Netflix is in the toilet.

But hey, your post was about a discussion and that is what a community is all about. So here's to you!

Even though I wasn't surprised most people don't have the luxury of wasting their life in front of a TV watching CNBC and Bloomberg.

04-24-12 02:32 PM
    Has netflix ever express changing their site to flash or html 5?
    04-24-12 03:09 PM
    Couldn't care less about netflix, no wonder they are skint - payed me �15 to sign up and try the service for a minimum of 5hrs over the space of a month.

Well the trial went like this, some older movies I'd missed so I watched those, the rest was back to back sponge bob and Dora the explorer for my little one. I then cancelled before the end on the trail month.

So if netflix are up the creek without a paddle its their own fault for giving money away.
    Last edited by codiak; 04-24-12 at 03:54 PM.
    04-24-12 03:37 PM
    They only use silverligght since it has DRM built in. Just another way DRM hurts the consumer. They should just use Flash, and it would be compatible everything except iphone/ipad.
    04-24-12 03:49 PM
    aww... i get what they saying. oh well. i dont have netflix anyway. *shrug*
    Hamp likes this.
    04-24-12 04:12 PM
    Yep. Thanks OP for the post, but dropped them long ago and won't look back. There current problems attribute directly to customer service and sustainability, which they don't have with the new old content that they put up. To many sites out there that are free with the same content and legal I might add. Dd hbo go, showtime and crackle and I ask why anyone still subscribes to netflix?
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-24-12 04:18 PM
    I just cancelled my NetFlix sub. Just don't use it enough to justify the cost and the PlayBook thing was the last straw. We have too many options for entertainment anyway. I might divert the funds to adding HBO.
    04-24-12 05:04 PM
    These subscribers are far more likely to simply give up and use Netflix on their PC or gaming system than cancel their subscription.
    Nope. Had it for my PC. Canceled. It probably cost them a pretty fair number of subscriptions. The simple solution would be to restrict the user accounts to one login at a time. That way they wouldn't have to support simultaneous streaming to different devices on the same account.
    04-24-12 05:25 PM
    I would really like to know how much it would actually cost to make a netflix app for Playbook.
    04-24-12 05:45 PM
    Having read a lot of Netflix threads over the last 5 mos and the current tone on the forum. I wonder if there are really any of us left who really want Netflix?
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    04-24-12 06:13 PM
    They only use silverligght
    No they don't!
    04-24-12 06:13 PM
    Having read a lot of Netflix threads over the last 5 mos and the current tone on the forum. I wonder if there are really any of us left who really want Netflix?
    I believe a lot of us have moved on. Now that the Playbook can stream Amazon Prime without problems no reason to stay. I moved on an so have others as I see by the posts.
    Also not to mention Tablet tv, crackle, HBOGO and MAXGO can all stream on the PB.
    04-24-12 06:22 PM
    I believe a lot of us have moved on. Now that the Playbook can stream Amazon Prime without problems no reason to stay.
    Unfortunately for us who don't work inside US borders all the time, we can't stream a single bit from Amazon ... hope they open up more areas soon....
    04-24-12 06:27 PM
    They only use silverligght since it has DRM built in. Just another way DRM hurts the consumer. They should just use Flash, and it would be compatible everything except iphone/ipad.
    Yea that makes sense lets be compatible with everything except the biggest handheld market.
    04-24-12 06:28 PM
    Unfortunately for us who don't work inside US borders all the time, we can't stream a single bit from Amazon ... hope they open up more areas soon....
    Really? I didn't know that. Well I hope they expand support soon enough.
    04-24-12 06:30 PM
    Depending on where you are in the world you should be able find free legal sites. Start with your cable provider channel Web addresses and go from there. Check your local moving expenses channels. Web pages and see what's offered. I'm sure you will find a good number of sites. That's how I found the ones I bookmark. Just takes a little work. Maybe one of the forum masters will post a sticky and we can all contribute to the PB friendly site's.
    04-24-12 08:56 PM
    Yea that makes sense lets be compatible with everything except the biggest handheld market.
    I have done a good bit of research on this and it does really come down to DRM, but it is due to the content providers. Netflix does do a lot of work with HTML5 on various consumer products, but in the end their content providers demand a certain level of DRM. These demands have left them in a position where they also are not able to allow many of their supported devices manufacturer's program their own apps. Netflix has become a cross platform app design house because they cannot afford a leak of their SDK or they will lose their content. We've all heard about the Movie and TV studios rampage to protect their property right now. God forbid someone records an episode of the original Charlie's Angels (new to Netflix this month).

While it may seem that they are ignoring PB and rushing out to provide apps for every new Hemroid device, this is because it is just a matter of tweaks. They all have the requisite libraries (or can be hacked to have them) and Netflix already has the dev teams. Unfortunately the PB does not have the libraries required natively or in the Android player. xsacha has commented on the missing libraries more than once and in tearing down the apk files it become clear pretty fast.

PlayOn is a good workaround and I know there are some looking into ways to make work better for this purpose. I plan on taking the plunge myself. Unfortunately it eats a good bit of bandwidth.

I am now thinking though that maybe it wouldn't hurt to check with RIM (Alec maybe?) on what it would take to have the missing libraries added to the Android player.

I know this still doesn't explain how the 3DS got it, but who knows what arrangements were made there.
    04-25-12 09:27 AM
    Well they lost me as of today, so the theory that they won't lose existing customers by not supporting the Playbook isn't 100% correct. I actually canceled at the beginning of the month but was paid through yesterday. I decided when I saw the twitter post that I would look elsewhere. I may look into Amazon Prime or another service. When they doubled the price for DVD+Streaming I went back to streaming only, and wasn't using the streaming enough to justify keeping it, especially since I'd like to use the Playbook for trips for it. If you are a Playbook owner and this bothers you too, stop your subscription. Loss of subscribers/money talks.

To Netflix: Release a Playbook app and you'll get $8 a month from me again. You could probably get RIM to develop it for you and fix bugs and it would cost you a small amount at that point.
    04-25-12 02:17 PM
    Depending on where you are in the world you should be able find free legal sites. Start with your cable provider channel Web addresses and go from there. Check your local moving expenses channels. Web pages and see what's offered. I'm sure you will find a good number of sites. That's how I found the ones I bookmark. Just takes a little work. Maybe one of the forum masters will post a sticky and we can all contribute to the PB friendly site's.
    Canada is extremely sticky when it comes to US content. Yes we can watch our own programming through several networks sites. But we are out of luck when it comes to a lot of US programming. We can't watch shows on most major US Network sites, and we can't use Hulu (without a VPN). And as far as I know we can't use Amazon services either. Netflix is really about as good as it gets for us right now. Especially because with a VPN, we can access the US Netflix and get a massive library of shows we have no access to. If you want to 'cut the cord' in Canada while still using legit services, it's a lot more work.

So our options are really Netflix... or torrents.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 04-25-12 at 02:36 PM.
    04-25-12 02:22 PM
    Netflix??? Why would anyone want their application? Those sons of bit**es are dead. Doesnt anyone read analyst reports anymore?
    Last edited by sam_b77; 04-25-12 at 02:55 PM.
    04-25-12 02:23 PM
    still no netflix realy sad days lost my goldfish now seen netflix still not here
    Last edited by 404error; 04-25-12 at 05:16 PM.
    04-25-12 05:13 PM
    still no netflix realy sad days lost my goldfish now seen netflix still not here
    My condolences to you on your loss. Oddly enough I feel more for your goldfish than I do for Netflix right now...
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-25-12 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD