this seems like really smart advice. i wonder if anyone is listening:

How RIM can Save the BlackBerry Brand in Three Easy Steps | PCWorld Business Center
    04-23-12 09:56 AM
    No, because the writer is a moron.

1. Focus
    . I don�t know how many BlackBerry smartphones there are globally, but there are 22 different models listed for the United States alone. That�s too many. It�s a waste of resources for RIM
    RIM is focusing on BB10, from what we have seen so far, the current issue with multiple models for different carriers will most likely go away for the BB 10 phones.

2. Nix the Tablet
    RIM may very well be able to compete in the tablet market some day. But, for now refer to step one�Focus
    The tablet is the testing ground for BB 10. The integration between the tablet and BB10 phones (and other future devices), makes the tablet more desirable in the future. If the tablet market is hard to get into now, it surely will be harder in the future.

3. Embrace Mobile Device Management

As smartphones and tablets have invaded the workplace, mobile device management (MDM) has exploded. RIM was doing MDM before the consumerization of IT and BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) trends made it cool. It�s just that RIM pioneered MDM as a proprietary platform that only manages BlackBerry devices.
    The author points out something that RIM is already doing by already have released Mobile Fusion.
    04-23-12 10:21 AM
    I've told my wife (who's an Android user) for almost a year now that RIM should do the following and, if they did, they would blow away the competition:

1) Have the best hardware. Get the fastest processor in the phone, best camera, etc.(People like speed and would love to take decent pics.)

2) Have the longest battery life - bar none - on the market. (Don't slightly beat the competition, trounce them!)

3) Partner with Microsoft to bring the Zune player (and marketplace) to the BlackBerry. (This would help Microsoft's struggling division and BlackBerry could keep a cut of the monthly revenue. Thus, helping their bottom line.)

Would these three things instantly solve the issues? Not entirely. You still need a good OS that allows programmers to provide games, etc for all BlackBerries. (I'm assuming that OS10 will allow this ease of use.) If you do these three though, people will buy.
    04-23-12 10:24 AM
    IMO, any tech writer that recommends RIM stop with the tablet is a moron

The interaction between phone and tablet is a unique feature right now for RIM

As this tablet advances it could be a desktop computer...just plug it into a larger screen...and bingo

I.e. As information converges to fewer physical devices RIM will be a player
    xeju likes this.
    04-23-12 12:31 PM
    has anyone else noticed that afew months back nearly every tech blog was writing RIM's obituary, but every day now it seems a new blog pops up offering their 'words of wisdom' on how RIM can be saved. Seems to me that maybe the tech world is beginning to believe RIM might actually pull it off, and if they do, they NEED to be in a position where they can say 'see, we told you they would'

Its just down to RIM now to produce the goods. Maybe more than just the hardcore are now starting to believe...
    AugustArborists likes this.
    04-23-12 03:24 PM
    I totally disagree with this logic...

RIM needs to create an entire consistent experience if it wants to play... The only thing I agree with here is Step 1..

Trim down the device line significantly

Create a consistent user experience amount phone/tablet - ie. Make all service work on both. BBM-Music, BBM etc etc. If it works on a BB, it should work on a Playbook.

Create unique marketing.. Create doubt in current iPhone/Android users minds that they are using subpar technology..

Marketing Marketing Marketing...
    04-23-12 03:49 PM
    This sounds like very good and sound logic.....I know something needs to be done or RIM will be DONE......just my humble opinion
    04-23-12 03:53 PM
    I think rim hasn't nailed down the former factor (7" does anyone sell a ton of these). I think they gotta shrink the bezel and make an 8 to 9" tablet to hit a larger market. So I agree that they should get out of the consumer tablet market

We all agree they make way too many types of phones. I also think if they come out with an all touch phone they will make the "new coke mistake", and move too far from their brand. They have to figure out how to increase screen size while keeping the keyboard. That's their strength. People love the keyboard, efficient shortcuts, just got tired clunky software and if they got the screen close to 3.5 who wouldn't love it. Then focus on great slider.
    04-23-12 03:58 PM
    They have to figure out how to increase screen size while keeping the keyboard.
    The Galaxy Note is 5.7" long and 3.3" wide. If people are willing to carry a device that large (I don't know how well the Note is doing), a scale-up Bold would have a keyboard slightly wider than the 9900's, and the screen would be about 3.5". I don't know if anyone would really want a BB like that; I think I wouldn't mind one.
    04-23-12 07:03 PM
    The PlayBook has been the most important thing for RIM in a long time. This is the testing ground for their future. They will have a year and a half old and polished OS when it is revealed to the world as their new phone OS. QNX will also blow everyone's minds starting May 1st. Just wait and see.
    04-23-12 08:40 PM
    firstly, to nix the tablet, is saying `kill your new dev base` so the writer obviously has no comprehension on how to build an ecosystem for a new platform. also as many have said the playbook is THE current BB10 testbed. RIM make that very obvious with almost every other dev related statement being `make your app on OS2 today and it`ll run on BB10` so saying kill the tablet may as well say kill BB10, which may as well say close the doors.

as for `22 devices` id love to know what they are, because i cant think of them. unless ya wanna start going `ooh a 9360 in white, 9360 in pink and 9360 in black are 3 devices` which would be about the most dense thing anyone could say (note, people say `the iphone` not `i got one of the 6 available iphone4s`s` life just not like that).
    from a UK perspective, theres the 8520 (which `should` go come 9320), 9300, 9360, 9810, 9860, 9790 and 9900. now thats 7 phones, yet if you wish to be really picky its 14 with colour variations. to clarify my arguement on colours, there are currently 13 iPhones available if thats how ya wanna work it, which that figure alone shows working based on colour (and/or memory size) is very silly.
    04-23-12 08:58 PM
    I've told my wife (who's an Android user) for almost a year now that RIM should do the following and, if they did, they would blow away the competition:

1) Have the best hardware. Get the fastest processor in the phone, best camera, etc.(People like speed and would love to take decent pics.)

2) Have the longest battery life - bar none - on the market. (Don't slightly beat the competition, trounce them!)

3) Partner with Microsoft to bring the Zune player (and marketplace) to the BlackBerry. (This would help Microsoft's struggling division and BlackBerry could keep a cut of the monthly revenue. Thus, helping their bottom line.)

Would these three things instantly solve the issues? Not entirely. You still need a good OS that allows programmers to provide games, etc for all BlackBerries. (I'm assuming that OS10 will allow this ease of use.) If you do these three though, people will buy.

You left out creating a competitive ecosystem (read apps) .

I think a lot of people (if not most) , don't really care about the os or the actual chip speed. They just want a phone that is smooth and doesn't lag, but most of all, they want to be able to have the app that their local bank (or whatever) advertises that is available for android or ios. If the app is not available for bb, I doubt they care how the os has/ will change.
    04-23-12 10:31 PM
    IMO, any tech writer that recommends RIM stop with the tablet is a moron

The interaction between phone and tablet is a unique feature right now for RIM

As this tablet advances it could be a desktop computer...just plug it into a larger screen...and bingo

I.e. As information converges to fewer physical devices RIM will be a player
    I think you are completely wrong. The quality of the Playbook is irrelevant. RIM has sold a little more than 1mn Playbooks. That means that all the effort put into improving the integration will benefit at most 1mn or maybe 2 mn (assuming they double PB market share with the release of BB10) customers. And not even including development costs, they will make a gross loss on each PB sold.

2mn additional BB sales will not help RIM.
    04-23-12 11:26 PM
    And not even including development costs, they will make a gross loss on each PB sold.
    Seemed to be a good strategy for Xbox and PS3.

With $2 billion in the bank, RIM could giveaway to every current BB Bold phone owner a new PlayBook and it would only help them in the long run. Nothing like millions of walking advertisements of the tablet working with the phone to sway people to BB.
    04-24-12 07:00 AM
    Seemed to be a good strategy for Xbox and PS3.

With $2 billion in the bank, RIM could giveaway to every current BB Bold phone owner a new PlayBook and it would only help them in the long run. Nothing like millions of walking advertisements of the tablet working with the phone to sway people to BB.
    Once Apps start costing $59.99 with a 90% markup, I'll agree with you.

There is no easy way to save RIM. If there was, I'd imagine they'd have done so by now.
    04-24-12 08:17 AM
    Once Apps start costing $59.99 with a 90% markup, I'll agree with you.
    Do you know how much the per person yearly license on Mobile Fusion is?

Pricing for Mobile Fusion starts at $99 U.S. per user or $4 U.S. per user per month, though RIM is offering a 60 day free trial and said in a release that volume discounts are available. The cost is comparable to current Black-Berry Enterprise Server fees, which start at $99 U.S. per user and also include bulk discounts such as $65.98 U.S. per user with at least 50 users.

Read more: RIM rolls out full BlackBerry Mobile Fusion platform
    I usually don't renew my games every year.
    04-24-12 09:37 AM
    Do you know how much the per person yearly license on Mobile Fusion is?

I usually don't renew my games every year.
    The majority of people that own video game systems buy a new game, at least yearly.
    04-24-12 09:54 AM
    The majority of people that own video game systems buy a new game, at least yearly.
    Do they buy the same game every year?
    04-24-12 10:05 AM
    If it's Call of Duty and you play everyday, you may just have to

Sides, Games (newer ones, require a monthly subscription, at least for the MMOs), Fusion is not a game. It's a service, and people do pay for those.
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-24-12 10:12 AM
    Fine, I get your point.

We will add it to the OP

4. Give PlayBooks to everyone who has a BlackBerry.
    04-24-12 10:22 AM
    If it's Call of Duty and you play everyday, you may just have to
    Luckily for me, I've been satisfied playing CoD: Black Ops on the Wii for awhile now (apparently since 2010), without the need to pay for a subscription.

My overall point was, that the PlayBook, even given away, helps with the BlackBerry brand, because it puts it out there in the public eye. And the more integration between the tablet and the phone people see, the more interest they will have in BlackBerry in general.
    04-24-12 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD