have been an at&t customer since 2004. upgraded to the 9800 when it was released in oct 2010. in roughly 6 months, my 2 year commitiment will be over. i'm not terribly disappointed with the service but am wondering if i can truly do better elsewhere?

the one glaring difference, verizon charges the same for 2gb of data monthly that at&t charges for 300mb on their 4g network. i'm not presently using that much data and, realistically, don't see myself using that much but...!

my other considerations include, exsisting/expanding 4g LTE and handset availability. verizon seems to have a considerable headstart in implementing 4g LTE though i saw something, somewhere that indicated at&t's 4g network is faster. and, verizon may not be as committed to the next generation of blackberry handsets. at&t's plans at the moment are unclear.

out of boredom, i upgraded my handset to the 9900 recently which accounts for my interest in each network's 4g capability. i purchsed the new handset in part because i want to be in position to one of the blackberry 10 devices when they become available.

not truly looking at jumping ship immediately, if at all. however, am interested in knowing if a significant, compelling counterpoint exists? anybody.
    04-22-12 04:12 PM
    Sounds like me. I was with At&t for almost 8 years until the Bold 9900 came out.
    At&t took waaaaay too long so I took my number and service to Verizon.

BEST.DECISION.EVER

The coverage and call quality is sooo much better. I can make phone calls in places I couldn't before, and they offer better data plans. Im on wifi most of the time so I dont use a lot of data either.

On At&t I had :450mins, 1500 texts, 300mb data for about $70 every month (including a discount from work)

On Verizon I have: 450 minutes, Unlimited texts, and 500mb data for $75 (including discount from work)

So there isnt much of a price difference. The only thing I miss are my thousands of rollover minutes I had with At&t. I actually never used my rollover minutes, but it was nice knowing I had 3,000 of them lol.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 04-23-12 at 01:57 PM.
    04-23-12 01:55 PM
    I just switched to Credo from AT&T and couldn't be happier. Credo is a wireless provider from Working Assets... it's nice to know that part of the profits from my account goes to causes that I care about. Not only that, but they let us customers choose which non-profits our money will go to.
    04-23-12 11:15 PM
    Came from sprint to att and I have no quams with att.

If you never had a problem with att then why switch? If you are debating on switching I'd ask neighbors and coworkers on what they think of verizon.

I've been in many places where vz hasn't gotten reception and I have and the other way around.

Its all subjective to where you live.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-23-12 11:23 PM
    Agree with eve6er69, it's all about the coverage where you are.

I work in NYC and live just outside in Nassau county and switched from Verizon to AT&T because of the 9810. Much better voice coverage and call quality. With Verizon I could never get a signal in my office in the E 20s (on either my Storm2 or wifey's basic LG), with AT&T call comes through almost every time. Call quality is leagues better than Verizon. On the downside, data is an issue as streaming video is practically impossible with AT&T, but I don't really do that. All I care about are calls and emails, and they all come through fine.

So, again, see if you can find people that frequent the same haunts you do but have Verizon (or another carrier) and see what they say.
    04-24-12 10:15 AM
    Definitely go with whichever company has better coverage. And is the most cost effective for you.

For me, I was originally with cingular and I dont exactly love ATT and am thinking about switching. In the past when I lived in WA and MN att's coverage was superior. Now in NH verizon is superior. Also my company gives a bigger discount for att than VZ which helps my bottom line.

I recently compared cell phone plans and I dont remember the specifics but it seemed for me (smallest minute plan, smallest text and data) att was cheaper.
    04-25-12 04:24 PM
    data is an issue as streaming video is practically impossible with AT&T, but I don't really do that.

Wow really? Must be an overloaded tower. I was just streaming videos to my playbook through my 9900 flawlessly waiting for a customer to get home thanks to youtube. I felt the same about sprint. Vids always looked choppy and always had to buffer.

04-27-12 10:27 PM
    Does netflix to my samsung hd tv fine but 800mb per movie. Stream netflix to my laptop then use hdmi cord and its about 400mb per movie
    04-28-12 01:39 PM
    Wow really? Must be an overloaded tower. I was just streaming videos to my playbook through my 9900 flawlessly waiting for a customer to get home thanks to youtube. I felt the same about sprint. Vids always looked choppy and always had to buffer.

As I say, depends where you are. My 9810 simply will not stream even small clips from ESPN, FoxNews, etc. Only site I can sometimes stream decently is CNN. And, again, I'm not a video fan (e.g. almost never do YouTube). Streaming radio via Nobex is an exercise in frustration and Visual Voicemails take 6 hours to show up on my phone. Other than that, I'm golden.

The above said, it's all about tradeoffs and the benefits of the 9810 and the superior call quality are worth more to me than the streaming (VVM working would be nice though).
    05-08-12 07:31 AM
    VERIZON is way ahead of ATT as far as LTE and coverage goes. If the price is the same I would switch to VERIZON personally.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 05:50 AM
    Ugh. Drones aplenty.

I recommend buying a prepaid phone with whichever company you're thinking has better service, and use it where you would use your existing phone. You can even forward all of your calls from your postpaid phone to your prepaid phone, if it makes it easier. If it doesn't work well, then you've only invested a few bucks in the test, and are now educated.

If any cell phone provider was universally "better" than all of the others, THE US GOVERNMENT WOULD RUN CELLULAR SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES, BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO COMPETITION.
    05-14-12 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD