I figured this might be a better place to post then in each individual US Carrier forum.

I'm traveling from Canada to the US (California) for two weeks and have an unlocked 9810 I want to take with me. I'm looking for a prepaid plan that includes the following:

- Some amount of minutes in case I need to call a business or the hotel. Chances are 100 minutes would work but I don't mind paying for unlimited.
    - Blackberry Data (E-mail, BBM, Browsing, IM)

Optionally unlimited texting within the US and Canada would be cool but not needed.

The last two times I went to the US it was a f'n nightmare trying to get Blackberry Data on a pay as you go plan or even a monthly no contract plan. T-Mobile told me I could do it and then boned me after I dropped $50 on a monthly plan which included some kind of crippled data plan and ATT said they could give me data if I had an Android phone or a WP7 phone but not a Blackberry or an iPhone.

Is there ANY carrier in the US that will take my money I am offering to them for service and provide me.... service?
    04-20-12 03:22 PM
    Spoke with T-Mobile and assuming they didn't lie to me it sounds like they have a plan that will work.
    04-20-12 05:05 PM
    You could try Simple Mobile, too. It's a prepaid SIM (BYOB), and it runs on the T-Mobile network.
    fizi likes this.
    04-20-12 05:11 PM
    You could try Simple Mobile, too. It's a prepaid SIM (BYOB), and it runs on the T-Mobile network.
    Excellent! If T-Mobile can't do it I'll hunt down a Simple Mobile location. Thanks.
    04-20-12 05:14 PM
    don't bother with data. you can get a $2/day unlimited voice plan from at&t and just use bbm/data in ur hotel or hotspots where it'd free.

well, that's my cheapo approach

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-20-12 05:20 PM
    don't bother with data. you can get a $2/day unlimited voice plan from at&t and just use bbm/data in ur hotel or hotspots where it'd free.

well, that's my cheapo approach

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    I like having access to Google Maps when I'm not near WiFi. Plus my GF is going to so we'll probably both get a plan and while she's at the conference and I'm wandering around we can BBM.

Plus I think our BES is miss-configured in a way that with WiFi alone I can't do anything with my Blackberry. I have to have BES data because all my traffic is routed through our Enterprise.
    04-20-12 05:22 PM
    I've seen Simple advertised as available at some locations, or you might even be able to get it online.
    04-20-12 05:34 PM
    Just called a local Simple Mobile retailer. The basic BlackBerry plan is $50, plus $20 for the SIM and activation. Cash only, that part was weird... but oh well.
    04-20-12 05:55 PM
    Oh, btw, California is big. what part of California? You want to make sure it is available where you will be staying.
    04-20-12 05:56 PM
    I like having access to Google Maps when I'm not near WiFi. Plus my GF is going to so we'll probably both get a plan and while she's at the conference and I'm wandering around we can BBM.

Plus I think our BES is miss-configured in a way that with WiFi alone I can't do anything with my Blackberry. I have to have BES data because all my traffic is routed through our Enterprise.
    BES???????????? is it a work phone? Might not work with another SIM.
    04-20-12 05:58 PM
    Just called a local Simple Mobile retailer. The basic BlackBerry plan is $50, plus $20 for the SIM and activation. Cash only, that part was weird... but oh well.
    Seems really good. I think it's the full BlackBerry experience/no-nonsense approach the op is looking for. Better check it, but if I rememeber correctly, calls are unlimited, too. Only thing is, s/he should check to see that BlackBerry is on the supported devices list.

Simple Mobile BlackBerry Plans

Simple Mobile Compatible BlackBerry Devices
    04-20-12 06:34 PM
    I figured this might be a better place to post then in each individual US Carrier forum.

I'm traveling from Canada to the US (California) for two weeks and have an unlocked 9810 I want to take with me. I'm looking for a prepaid plan that includes the following:

- Some amount of minutes in case I need to call a business or the hotel. Chances are 100 minutes would work but I don't mind paying for unlimited.
    - Blackberry Data (E-mail, BBM, Browsing, IM)

Optionally unlimited texting within the US and Canada would be cool but not needed.

The last two times I went to the US it was a f'n nightmare trying to get Blackberry Data on a pay as you go plan or even a monthly no contract plan. T-Mobile told me I could do it and then boned me after I dropped $50 on a monthly plan which included some kind of crippled data plan and ATT said they could give me data if I had an Android phone or a WP7 phone but not a Blackberry or an iPhone.

Is there ANY carrier in the US that will take my money I am offering to them for service and provide me.... service?
    I think T-Mobile is your best choice. I have my Bold in a pre-paid monthly data plan, bbm, email, internet, and all that good stuff. Not issues what so ever, I just have to make sure to refill my account.
    04-20-12 06:39 PM
    BES???????????? is it a work phone? Might not work with another SIM.
    The OP better check with their BES administrator before heading south with plans of a prepaid SIM from another carrier dancing in his head. Why not just opt for the US roaming add-on from their home carrier?
    04-21-12 07:29 AM
    im going to be going to Disney World for Xmas and thats what im going to do. just tack on a Data plan extra and dont make any phone calls...i dont make any now so its no biggy for me LOL
    04-21-12 09:08 AM
    Who is your current carrier?
    Do you travel to the states on a regular basis, for work etc?
    I work alot in the states. The best cross border carrier that seems to have lots of good coverage I have found is Telus. I use the "Talk North America" plan with data package added on. Love it.
    No long distance, No roaming, Lots of coverage.
    Last edited by DanPort; 04-21-12 at 09:38 AM.
    04-21-12 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD