I just received my Playbook in the mail today. I was really excited to root it and get the android market on it, but when you first start it up, it comes to an update page, and the newest OS just happened to be released the same time I get shipment. I shutdown my playbook before it could update.

Is there a way I can still get my playbook rooted with a fresh new playbook, even though I would have the latest OS by downgrading or another means of rooting?
    04-18-12 03:09 PM
    if you still are in version 1.x.x.xxx you can root but if you update to the latest update you won't be able to root and even donwgrade
    04-18-12 03:14 PM
    just don't connect to a wifi network when you start-up. if you do connect, it will update automatically. just ignore that step of the setup and move on. once completed the setup, you'll be on os 1.xxxx and be able to root !
    04-19-12 09:22 AM
    just don't connect to a wifi network when you start-up. if you do connect, it will update automatically. just ignore that step of the setup and move on. once completed the setup, you'll be on os 1.xxxx and be able to root !
    If you don't connect to the wifi, it does not look like they let you finish setup.

I have already put my wifi network info in. Is there anyway to revert to the factory setting at this point?
    04-19-12 02:00 PM
    If you don't connect to the wifi, it does not look like they let you finish setup.

I have already put my wifi network info in. Is there anyway to revert to the factory setting at this point?

You are right, if you are not connected to Wi-Fi is not going to let you finish the set up process. I'm not sure there is a way to revert the process. You can always try to abort the set up process by turing off the device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using crackberry forum app.
    04-19-12 02:33 PM
    You are right, if you are not connected to Wi-Fi is not going to let you finish the set up process. I'm not sure there is a way to revert the process. You can always try to abort the set up process by turing off the device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using crackberry forum app.
    so how in the world am i suppose to root, since I can't finish set up process?

According to earlier post in this thread.

"just don't connect to a wifi network when you start-up. if you do connect, it will update automatically. just ignore that step of the setup and move on. once completed the setup, you'll be on os 1.xxxx and be able to root ! "

But I can't ignore wifi step... it will not advance... I am really puzzled here. Can I do it or can't I do it. I still haven't downloaded the update yet, and I don't want to, but I want to finish the initial set up and still have chance to root it.
    04-19-12 03:48 PM
    I apologize for the confusion created, I will try my best to explain. Simple, to get your PlayBook to work, you need to connect it to a Wi-Fi network to be able to finish the set up process. I'm afraid you are not able to go lower than 2.0.
    04-20-12 12:38 AM
    Create a playbook update server (forget the name of the program) and use 2.0.0.6149 or earlier firmware. If you can't get out of the setup right now even after a reboot you may be able to preform a factory reset to 1.0.8 with an early version of BBDM.

As for where to get the needed software someone else will have to pitch in here as I don't remember exactly.

If I'm wrong on this process (never did it myself) someone knowledgeable please feel free to correct me.
    04-20-12 01:19 AM
    I just received my Playbook in the mail today. I was really excited to root it and get the android market on it, but when you first start it up, it comes to an update page, and the newest OS just happened to be released the same time I get shipment. I shutdown my playbook before it could update.

Is there a way I can still get my playbook rooted with a fresh new playbook, even though I would have the latest OS by downgrading or another means of rooting?
    Since you just bought this, it sounds to me like your plan was to run an android 7" tablet for a nice low $200 on this good hardware, is that correct? If it is and you don't mind waiting, a much better plan would be to just refund it and buy one of the android tablets that are due out this summer for the same price
    04-20-12 02:29 AM
    Have you tried connecting it to DM and aborting the update from there? I would think it might have better control of the update. Maybe....
    04-20-12 02:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD