Why isn't playbook updates like other devices on the market - firmware update. I have done several times reset and each time went playbook to os 1.
    Very strange.
    04-18-12 10:49 AM
    Have you done a Security Wipe? Because Updating PlayBook OS is probably the simplest of any mobile devices
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-18-12 10:57 AM
    Try the "debrick method" to reset your BlackBerry PlayBook back to factory default and then re-install the latest BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.0.1.358. Instructions on debricking the tablet can be found on the forum using the search function.
    04-18-12 10:57 AM
    The OP is talking about the PB restoring to the original OS that it came with new. It's something I've questioned myself. I have many devices and once updated, you can reset them (wipe, factory wipe, restore, factory restore, hard reset etc) and the updated OS remains intact. But with the PB, it returns to an earlier version. What RIM is doing is applying the latest OS over accumulated OSes rather than wiping previous OSes and setting the latest OS as base.
    04-18-12 11:11 AM
    The OP is talking about the PB restoring to the original OS that it came with new. It's something I've questioned myself. I have many devices and once updated, you can reset them (wipe, factory wipe, restore, factory restore, hard reset etc) and the updated OS remains intact. But with the PB, it returns to an earlier version. What RIM is doing is applying the latest OS over accumulated OSes rather than wiping previous OSes and setting the latest OS as base.
    I don't think that you are right about this. I am not sure that you can actually revert back through all individual versions that were released and that you installed. I did not see a method of doing that.
    04-18-12 11:36 AM
    The original version stays on there, and after a security wipe you need to update again. However, i do not believe subsequent OS versions are left on the device, just the original. I would guess this is done as a restore type point in case your new OS gets bricked during an update.
    04-18-12 11:38 AM
    Exactly. Very strange
    04-18-12 11:46 AM
    Exactly. Very strange
    The device ships with only the stub of an operating system (not version 1). The current OS (whatever version that might be) is downloaded during the activation process.You must complete the activation process in order to use the device. Doing a security wipe resets the device back to the original state, that is to having a stub of an OS that requires re-activation.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "reset" in your original post? Do you mean a security wipe or do you mean restarting the device using the power button? There have been reports of the system "reverting" back to some ambiguous state which requires you to use the debrick method of restoring full functionality. But the net result of doing a debrick is that the most recent version of the OS is loaded. There is no way to avoid this as far as I know.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-18-12 12:13 PM
    The device ships with only the stub of an operating system (not version 1). The current OS (whatever version that might be) is downloaded during the activation process.You must complete the activation process in order to use the device. Doing a security wipe resets the device back to the original state, that is to having a stub of an OS that requires re-activation.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "reset" in your original post? Do you mean a security wipe or do you mean restarting the device using the power button? There have been reports of the system "reverting" back to some ambiguous state which requires you to use the debrick method of restoring full functionality. But the net result of doing a debrick is that the most recent version of the OS is loaded. There is no way to avoid this as far as I know.
    That's true, but it's also true the OS is built up update by update rather than wiping the previous updates and starting fresh. Version 1x > 1xx > 2x > 2xx are all layered on the device rather than the latest version alone. When a security wipe is performed, you can't just install the latest update version, you have to first install all of the previous updates in order to get the latest update.

Maybe that works okay for RIM, but it seems inefficient.
    04-18-12 02:16 PM
    ^^ No I do not believe they are cumulative updates. There is always just one update of the latest OS after a security wipe.
    BuzzStarField, joski and bbfan1040 like this.
    04-18-12 02:25 PM
    If it reverted to 1.xxxxx then we would be able to downgrade to a rootable ver. Since we cant downgrade that proves it there are no layers. Plus if it layered we would have tl download each older version to get to newest.
    04-18-12 03:03 PM
    Do you think it might update to a version stored on the computer if you didn't give it wifi and it thought that OS?? was the version it needed?

If so, you could roll back.
    04-18-12 03:29 PM
    I don't know how to explain this using the right technical terms so I will put it in simple language.
    When you first get the playbook or do a security wipe it takes it back to a start up program that only says " find a WiFi signal and go to this Web Server to download an OS"
    The PB will not function with out doing this step.
    04-18-12 04:04 PM
    Do you think it might update to a version stored on the computer if you didn't give it wifi and it thought that OS?? was the version it needed?

If so, you could roll back.
    You can't "roll back" or downgrade the OS if you have upgraded to the current version. RIM has plugged the security exploit that allowed access to root and has cut off the ability to revert to less secure versions. This is the main reason that rooters are overcome with apoplexy.
    joski likes this.
    04-18-12 04:14 PM
    OR...... resetting is like using the recovery partition on a Windows PC. Doesn't matter what OS you're on, if you "recover" you get what it shipped with.

Then you upgrade, then you go though a zillion MS Updates.
    04-18-12 04:33 PM
    OR...... resetting is like using the recovery partition on a Windows PC. Doesn't matter what OS you're on, if you "recover" you get what it shipped with.

Then you upgrade, then you go though a zillion MS Updates.
    As others have said, PB does not work this way. When you "recover" you are given a basic loader which forces you to connect via WiFi and install the most recent version of the OS. So in this case, no matter which version you start with, what you end up with is a version that is equal to or greater than the one you started with. If you don't believe me check out the conversations in the "Rooting" forum. Dingleberry is broken - someone might "fix" it one day but for now Tablet OS is secure.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-18-12 at 04:44 PM.
    04-18-12 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD