Pardon my ignorance, but I was led to believe through reading these forums that one of the benefits of QNX was the ability to update the OS in a "modular" fashion without having to "refresh" the whole OS.

So why is this OS "update", which is essentially some bug fixes and tweaking with absolutely NO NEW or ADDED FEATURES, the same size near enough (491 MB), as OS2 (500+ MB), which brought to the table a whole slew of new features and enhancements? It took 8 hours to download this mediocre update through my horrifically slow Indonesian internet service.

Have we been spun more BS from the powers that be?

Sorry, but all the hype I'm reading about this update just isn't doing it for me. I have identified absolutely NO obvious changes to my device except for the "problem wifi network" option in settings which is a bit like the "airplane mode" update we were given some time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my PB, but I'm starting to get REALLY SICK of being lied to!! I understand that this was an "under the hood update" which brings me back to my original question.... WHY such a big file?
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 04-17-12 at 07:27 PM.
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    04-17-12 07:13 PM
    They can incremental upgrade and have in the past once or twice.

Oh and there were a lot of fixes to the browser maybe not 8000 but speed, stability, and website optimization.

Good I hate saying this phrase but there seems they added some stuff under the hood that would require a redownload of the whole OS. Like adding USB OTG driver the xsacha found in the code. But that is kind of expected from a x.x.1 upgrade. Any new features probably would constitute the os being upgraded to 2.1
    04-17-12 07:24 PM
    From what I have seen nearly every part of the OS has had some bug fixes applied plus a few minor additions to the OS. The fact there are so many bug fixes will explain the size of the download. Don't complain as it is a complete maintenance update of the whole OS
    Just Me likes this.
    04-17-12 07:33 PM
    They can incremental upgrade and have in the past once or twice.

Oh and there were a lot of fixes to the browser maybe not 8000 but speed, stability, and website optimization.

Good I hate saying this phrase but there seems they added some stuff under the hood that would require a redownload of the whole OS. Like adding USB OTG driver the xsacha found in the code. But that is kind of expected from a x.x.1 upgrade. Any new features probably would constitute the os being upgraded to 2.1
    Yeah, I think the airplane mode was an "incremental" update" if I recall. Thanks for the response, and no offence, but your view still doesn't tally with the information that I have gleaned from earlier posts on this subject.

I'm no expert when it comes to tech, but I understand the word "modular" and something like "drivers" and such, I would have thought would fall into that category.

OS2 was a total rework of the whole system. This update is not a total rework I'm sure........
    04-17-12 07:42 PM
    From what I have seen nearly every part of the OS has had some bug fixes applied plus a few minor additions to the OS. The fact there are so many bug fixes will explain the size of the download. Don't complain as it is a complete maintenance update of the whole OS

Thanks for your response, I will assume that you are in some sort of a position to view the OS as a whole and see the code and all the areas that have been amended.

I will accept your assertion that this is a COMPLETE OS maintenance update and therefore requires a FULL OS download and refresh.

Still, I don't see why RIM couldn't have spaced it out over several smaller "modular" maintenance updates over the last 2 months. I'm not unappreciative of this update, it just seems that the past promises of regular and frequent updates due to this "ability" have not been forthcoming and I believe that many here have also grown weary of this situation.

I think many, myself included, respected RIM's play to hold back on these regular updates so that they could put all their eggs in the one basket with OS2 to hopefully win back some respect for the device. That time has come and gone and now I, for one, am looking forward to seeing these regular and frequent updates adding new features and enhancements, one at a time, regularly and frequently to the device I paid FULL price for on the day it launched here in Indonesia and which RIM led me to believe would be forthcoming.......

Again, I'm no expert on these matters and will just have to grudgingly accept your response as being correct and that the ability to provide "modular" updates is not as sensational as the earlier hype suggested.
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 04-17-12 at 08:09 PM.
    Just Me likes this.
    04-17-12 07:57 PM
    Why making such a big deal on file size. Ok ur internet is slow. That's not RIMs fault. Just be glad an update came and it fixes some of the bugs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Pdinos3, ultra07 and knightfall like this.
    04-17-12 07:58 PM
    Video Store is now working for me in Canada.
    04-17-12 08:05 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but I was led to believe through reading these forums that one of the benefits of QNX was the ability to update the OS in a "modular" fashion without having to "refresh" the whole OS.
    The OS does have the ability to be updated in a modular fashion.

Please note, however, these forums are not the "End all, Be all" of what RIM does, and why. These are some fact, some opinion, and some very educated guesses.

So why is this OS "update", which is essentially some bug fixes and tweaking with absolutely NO NEW or ADDED FEATURES, the same size near enough (491 MB), as OS2 (500+ MB), which brought to the table a whole slew of new features and enhancements?
    I don't understand how you would assume there aren't a ton of bugs to fix in such a major OS update. I wasn't surprised at all it was this big.

It took 8 hours to download this mediocre update through my horrifically slow Indonesian internet service.
    Wow, that's horrible. But, at least they fixed a bunch of stuff.

What BS are you referring to? If this update wasn't truely modular, then it would have been a lot closer in size to the original release than it was. My download was 360 meg for this update, and OS2's size was 559 meg or so, if I recall correctly. Had this been a full replacement, it would have been within a few meg of that original size, for everyone.

Sorry, but all the hype I'm reading about this update just isn't doing it for me. I have identified absolutely NO obvious changes to my device except for the "problem wifi network" option in settings which is a bit like the "airplane mode" update we were given some time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my PB, but I'm starting to get REALLY SICK of being lied to!! I understand that this was an "under the hood update" which brings me back to my original question.... WHY such a big file?
    "Under the hood" updates tend to not be obvious. Just sayin'

Also, you haven't been lied to. I'd guess you don't quite understand what all was touched, and neither do I, but I knew enough to know the first update would be big. The next one, 2.0.2.xxx will probably be smaller yet, and 2.0.3.xxx smaller still... For example, the update from 1.0.7.xxx to 1.0.8.xxx was under 30 meg and was basically a patch for flash, and maybe adobe reader. Again, that one didn't shock me as to how small it was as they were working hard on OS2 at the time.
    rotorwrench, AggreX and pcguy514 like this.
    04-17-12 08:05 PM
    I am anything but a fanboy - to the contrary my opinion of rim is as low as they come but claiming that a upgrade process stinks because of ones Internet connection is pushing it. Lol
    04-17-12 08:07 PM
    Again, I'm no expert on these matters and will just have to grudgingly accept your response as being correct and that the ability to provide "modular" updates is not as sensational as the earlier hype suggested.
    If they fixed hundreds of bugs (and they surely did), then that will have affected scores or even hundreds of files. Some of those files are fairly large, running into the megabytes.

Even if a given file had only very small changes (e.g. a "4" changed to a "5"), the entire file probably still needs to be downloaded. I wouldn't be surprised if the incremental update feature treats files as "atomic" and doesn't handle patches to small sections of individual files. They could do it differently, but I suspect they have not yet.

End result: a maintenance update can still run to hundreds of megabytes. A full update would have been something more like 1GB, so this is certainly still quite incremental...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-17-12 08:17 PM
    How did you get the Video Store app or is it just a web page?
    04-17-12 08:19 PM
    I am anything but a fanboy - to the contrary my opinion of rim is as low as they come but claiming that a upgrade process stinks because of ones Internet connection is pushing it. Lol
    Ummm..... was my post saying that the upgrade stinks because of my pisspoor internet connection?

I think you better re read my post to get a better feel for what I'm saying.... just sayin
    04-17-12 08:20 PM
    Ummm..... was my post saying that the upgrade stinks because of my pisspoor internet connection?

I think you better re read my post to get a better feel for what I'm saying.... just sayin

I seriously doubt you would have come in and complained about the size of the update had your download only taken 10 minutes like mine did.

Just sayin'
    ekv likes this.
    04-17-12 08:24 PM
    If they fixed hundreds of bugs (and they surely did), then that will have affected scores or even hundreds of files. Some of those files are fairly large, running into the megabytes.

Even if a given file had only very small changes (e.g. a "4" changed to a "5"), the entire file probably still needs to be downloaded. I wouldn't be surprised if the incremental update feature treats files as "atomic" and doesn't handle patches to small sections of individual files. They could do it differently, but I suspect they have not yet.

End result: a maintenance update can still run to hundreds of megabytes. A full update would have been something more like 1GB, so this is certainly still quite incremental...
    @peter9477, thank you for your response and for helping me to see more clearly why it was quite a large maintenance file.
    04-17-12 08:25 PM
    How did you get the Video Store app or is it just a web page?
    It installed when I was in the US last week, I was prompted for an os update as soon as I connected to my hotel wifi. When I got back to canada it said it only worked in the us and territories. After today's update I'm able to open it again.
    Ampedx likes this.
    04-17-12 08:26 PM
    I seriously doubt you would have come in and complained about the size of the update had your download only taken 10 minutes like mine did.

Just sayin'
    I seriously think you are correct

Irregardless, I accept that this was a complete maintenance of the OS as a whole, and now I look forward to seeing regular updates adding the features that this device needs to put it on a par with the true "blackberry experience".

On second thoughts, perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath and allow history to repeat itself, in that RIM will make us hold out until the end of the year (maybe February next year as an anniversary present?) for ALL the new goodies until BB10 is launched, just as they made us hold out for 10 months for ALL the new goodies until OS2 was launched.

I know I'm being a negative Nellie here, and my history of previous posts will show me to be anything but.. However, I am really starting to hate being "strung along" by RIM...
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 04-17-12 at 08:42 PM.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-17-12 08:36 PM
    8 hours? You should be more concerned with your terrible internet.
    04-17-12 09:35 PM
    8 hours? You should be more concerned with your terrible internet.
    Yes, one of the drawbacks to living in a third world country I'm afraid.
    04-17-12 09:45 PM
    Yes, and I'm sure it took space to apply the new Bug where they killed Spellcheck and PredictiveText in Bridge Email. I'll hope for an incremental upgrade to fix that sometime in the next 6 months.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-17-12 09:48 PM
    Same here. Didn't expect that since I haven't heard any news on that.
    04-17-12 09:48 PM
    Nah, we get that here in Canadia as well:

Happens everywhere with every device, not just you or where you're located.

Both my PB's updated to OS 2 and now 2.0.1 in under an hour each time. That is refreshing.
    04-17-12 10:36 PM
    Scrapegoat sorry but I think you should take a hike.. You seem to have a problem where it doesn't exist.. Get some fresh air and a better internet connection..
    alnamvet68 and knightfall like this.
    04-17-12 11:45 PM
    Scrapegoat sorry but I think you should take a hike.. You seem to have a problem where it doesn't exist.. Get some fresh air and a better internet connection..
    I'll be sure to give your "thought" the "consideration" that it truly deserves!
    dejanh, ambarmetta and kennyliu like this.
    04-18-12 01:11 AM

So why is this OS "update", which is essentially some bug fixes and tweaking with absolutely NO NEW or ADDED FEATURES, the same size near enough (491 MB), as OS2 (500+ MB), which brought to the table a whole slew of new features and enhancements? It took 8 hours to download this mediocre update through my horrifically slow Indonesian internet service.

Now that you know how long it takes to download a big file with your Internet connection, perhaps with the next update you could download over night.
    04-18-12 03:51 AM
    Next time (if not the case) I suggest you do not use PB update (wifi/OTA) but desktop manager instead. Since your Bandwidth is extremely poor, a wired connexion may result in a 2X DL speed ...

I presume this update fixed a lot of things, including the update process itself. I used to wipe my device before any kind of update/upgrade since I noticed there was some conflicts when updating straight away. I didn't this time (I'm in such a hurry it tooks me 12Hrs to notice the CB alert !!!!) and all works fine. My supposition is that RIM noticed these update/upgrade problems and decided to make a "cancel and replace" one to prepare the big 2.1 update to come. Yet, I had two updates : the first and big one (around 350 MB ?) and this morning a smaller one (18 MB - don't know what's in), which you can call "incremential".
    04-18-12 04:19 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD