I have been using my Torch 9860 since 11/03/11, and at first its fine. Until I installed 26-30apps on the phone. And it starts to freeze slow down. The slow down was really noticeable.

The Apps that I have before are:

TinyController *
    Signal Booster *
    SmartWifi *
    PowerControl *
    Sixtools *
    Shazam
    Tapatalk
    CaptureIt
    DailyHoroscope
    Fancy Speed Test
    FaceBook Messenger
    Vlingo *
    Nobex Radio Premium *
    UberSocial for BlackBerry
    Facebook for BlackBerry
    Twitter for BlackBerry
    BlackBerry Protect
    Google URL Shortener
    Battery Enhancer
    Battery Booster Pro
    DriveSafe.ly *
    iSpeech Translator Pro *
    Google Talk
    Instaphoto *
    Picstory *
    Yahoo Messenger
    Wikitude

Forgot the others.

Then I read something in the Bold 9900 forums. About deleting the BlackBerry Podcast App and BlackBerry Protect.

I proceeded in deleting some. And deleted the following. With " * " on the Apps List. And the BlackBerry Podcast App. While I'm still thinking about deleting the BlackBerry Protect as well.

And rebooted. Deleted some emails.

And another reboot.

And after 28hours. My phone didn't freeze at all. Swear! I was so surprised. And the battery life is much more steady now than before. I can easily get a 1 day and a half in normal use.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9860 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-17-12 01:37 AM
    BB's work better without apps installed??? </riveting>
    04-17-12 07:22 AM
    Unless you're absolutely sure your backup is done regularly and your charging port will never fail, don't ditch BlackBerry Protect. You probably had one or two of those that were working against each.other, a couple of those apps have redundant functions, and may have not played well together. Trick is to delete one at a time to find a culprit.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-17-12 at 07:29 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-12 07:25 AM
    BB's work better without apps installed??? </riveting>
    Some people say yes. Including me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-17-12 08:08 AM
    Unless you're absolutely sure your backup is done regularly and your charging port will never fail, don't ditch BlackBerry Protect. You probably had one or two of those that were working against each.other, a couple of those apps have redundant functions, and may have not played well together. Trick is to delete one at a time to find a culprit.
    Thanks, I will not delete BlackBerry Protect anymore

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-17-12 08:09 AM
    DailyHoroscope
    You don't really need that...
    04-17-12 09:43 AM
    No, In fact I use this daily. I'm just 19. and to tell you the truth. When I get up in the morning. The first thing that i would do is look for notifications. like BBMs, emails, IMs, Social Feeds and after checking those I use this app to see what sort of day i would have. and trust me. Its 99% accurate most the time.
    04-17-12 11:44 AM

or half of the others, especially two that are doing the same thing

i think maybe you just need to slim down apps to only ones you absolutely need to function...clean out memory as much as you can, (emails, mms, sms, saved messages, fb cache, brower cache, bb event log, etc), battery pull

see how it runs, if it still freezes or hourglasses, shrink the os and reinstall, or upgrade to .340/.342 and shrink....i dont get any freezing and only see the hourglass briefly during app downloads from app world

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-18-12 04:34 AM
    I had random freezing (every few minutes or so for about 10-30 seconds). Deleted Blackberry News and it's running perfectly now.
    04-18-12 05:40 PM
    I had random freezing (every few minutes or so for about 10-30 seconds). Deleted Blackberry News and it's running perfectly now.
    Blackberry News should be set so that it only updates when you open the app and select a feed. Worked great for me.
    04-19-12 12:19 AM
    or half of the others, especially two that are doing the same thing
    True. You really don't need FaceBook Messenger because Facebook for BlackBerry already has chat capabilities. You already have Twitter for BlackBerry installed but UberSocial is pretty much the same thing; you don't need both. Choose one and delete the other.

I'm glad you uninstalled DriveSafe.ly. The only safe way to drive is to not use your BlackBerry while driving!

Did you actually go through the install process of Google Talk or Yahoo Messenger? If not, those may be just shortcut icons to install them. If you don't use them you can remove them, I think you can do that through the Desktop Manager.
    04-19-12 03:03 AM
    My point in using those apps with same functions is:

Facebook Messenger- If I only need to chat and its much easier.

UberSocial and Twitter for BlackBerry- there are instances that I need to look for new tweets from a certain person. and UberSocial is good for that reason because it opens fast than Twitter for BlackBerry. and to tell you the truth I only use T4BB just for tweeting.
    04-19-12 06:30 AM
    No, In fact I use this daily. I'm just 19. and to tell you the truth. When I get up in the morning. The first thing that i would do is look for notifications. like BBMs, emails, IMs, Social Feeds and after checking those I use this app to see what sort of day i would have. and trust me. Its 99% accurate most the time.
    Wow! I never thought ppl read it those things every day
    04-19-12 07:18 AM
    My point in using those apps with same functions is:

Facebook Messenger- If I only need to chat and its much easier.

UberSocial and Twitter for BlackBerry- there are instances that I need to look for new tweets from a certain person. and UberSocial is good for that reason because it opens fast than Twitter for BlackBerry. and to tell you the truth I only use T4BB just for tweeting.

yea, but my point is, if you're obviously having memory issues with your phone....you can easily chat from the native facebook app, or tweet from ubersocial, elimating facebook messenger and t4bb...same with the battery apps, I cant see either doing much, two of them working at the same time is a waste! personally, I'd ditch the horoscope app, fast speed test, and shazam too! horoscopes you can look up with the browser (bookmark the site, put icon on homepage, so its easier), no one needs to check their network connection speed daily, and I've heard terrible things about the performance of shazam! So, theres 6 more you can easily delete and free up a lot more space...

your other option if you absolutely can't compromise, is clean out messages and memory daily and battery pull frequently so the os can reclaim all the memory these apps waste through the day...and wiping the phone, shrinking the os to create more available memory would help, my 3 9850s start with 220-230mb of memory on reboot and I never have freezing or hourglass problems

other than that, if there's no apps you can survive without and you cant reclaim memory daily, I think the only option is to deal with the freezing and hourglass at this point

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-19-12 07:53 AM
    oh I understand im sorry mrtouchedme. will delete fb messenger and t4bb now and battery enhancer and shazam
    04-19-12 09:25 AM
    I love the shazam app, only failed me once or twice but it catches every song I use with it. I love it, now I can easily find the song I was listening to.
    04-19-12 08:23 PM
    I highly recommend QuickPull and set it up in the options to automatically reboot your phone sometime in the middle of the night (default is 3:00 am). This keeps my phone's memory clean without me having to think about it and/or pull the battery. The app used to have all kinds of problems in 7.x, but not any longer. Works like a champ.
    04-21-12 01:07 AM
    I'm experiencing problems with quickpull.
    04-21-12 02:14 AM
    What kind(s) of problems? When I first installed it on my 9850 with OS 7.0 it either didn't work at all or when it did, it would get hung up trying to install the "Steelhorn" app it uses to cause the reboot and it failed. Ever since they updated it to the most current version, this isn't happening anymore.
    04-21-12 02:24 AM
    What kind(s) of problems? When I first installed it on my 9850 with OS 7.0 it either didn't work at all or when it did, it would get hung up trying to install the "Steelhorn" app it uses to cause the reboot and it failed. Ever since they updated it to the most current version, this isn't happening anymore.
    It's still happening to me. I schedule my BB to reboot at 6am and I'm always waking up to an error message because it's always wanting to install QuickPullReboot and I've been meaning to contact them about it.
    04-21-12 05:37 AM
    Most of the times it won't allow my phone to restart. something like that. So I downloaded RestartMe instead.
    04-21-12 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD