I don't know how anyone is typing on this keyboard on this phone (I have the 9360 from T-Mobile.) The keys are so small I can barely hit buttons correctly without having to go back and backspace to wipe out what I typed. Were talking one word conversations here at the most...what was RIM thinking with this?

This is awful!
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 04-13-12 at 06:08 AM.
    04-13-12 01:26 AM
    Why are you complaining? Want bigger keyboard? Go for Bold.
    04-13-12 02:19 AM
    I don't know how anyone is typing on this keyboard on this phone (I have the 9630 from T-Mobile.) The keys are so small I can barely hit buttons correctly without having to go back and backspace to wipe out what I typed. Were talking one word conversations here at the most...what was RIM thinking with this?

This is awful!
    Grow your nails or go Bold.
    04-13-12 02:22 AM
    Why are you complaining? Want bigger keyboard? Go for Bold.
    Because I can
    04-13-12 02:41 AM
    Download and get use to the Vlingo app & use that for writing messages if you wouldn't want to get a Bold.
    04-13-12 03:37 AM
    If I'm not mistaken...a 9630 is CDMA and last I checked TMO uses a sim card..... Did you buy the phone or was it a gift, did you try the phone out before you purchased it.....I don't think RIM is at fault here
    04-13-12 05:20 AM
    Yea I apologize for that, I was typing to fast...I have the 9360.
    04-13-12 06:03 AM
    If I'm not mistaken...a 9630 is CDMA and last I checked TMO uses a sim card..... Did you buy the phone or was it a gift, did you try the phone out before you purchased it.....I don't think RIM is at fault here
    I think they are at fault! Putting tiny keys on a phone this small is useless, they should have practiced some common sense (then again RIM doesn't have much of that these days and is more than likely on it's way out of business!) I ordered the phone online, I did not buy it in the store. The pics online looked like the keys were large with nice spacing in between...this is not the case...everything is crammed onto this thing!

I am not spending 600 bucks for a Bold, I had the Bold and was not impressed, having a touch screen on a small screen like that is ridiculous.
    04-13-12 06:05 AM
    Download and get use to the Vlingo app & use that for writing messages if you wouldn't want to get a Bold.
    What does that have to do with typing? The keys on the phone still have to be pressed...the app you are using has nothing to do with the hardware.
    04-13-12 06:08 AM
    What does that have to do with typing? The keys on the phone still have to be pressed...the app you are using has nothing to do with the hardware.
    Vlingo would dramatically cut down the amount of times you would have to use the keyboard as you was unwise enough not to check out - in person something that you'd be carrying with you for the next 1-2 years..... This is the best bet !
    04-13-12 06:17 AM
    I think they are at fault! Putting tiny keys on a phone this small is useless, they should have practiced some common sense (then again RIM doesn't have much of that these days and is more than likely on it's way out of business!) I ordered the phone online, I did not buy it in the store. The pics online looked like the keys were large with nice spacing in between...this is not the case...everything is crammed onto this thing!

I am not spending 600 bucks for a Bold, I had the Bold and was not impressed, having a touch screen on a small screen like that is ridiculous.
    Just simply don't use the touchscreen and yes the 9900 is alot more expensive.
    But for the keyboard you can't beat that. You should have tested out the phones in the store before buying.
    Now you just bought it and you don't like it. Simply because you just ordered it online.
    And saying RIM is on his way out of business. I don't see your point. No offense but you should have known better.
    04-13-12 06:25 AM
    It's not real typing. But an alternative he sugessted.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    04-13-12 06:27 AM

If you had a bold and were not impressed, why would you think you would be impressed by a lower quality phone????? I think you are just blowing smoke.... Go get an Iphone and switch forums.
    04-13-12 06:41 AM
    I'll say to you what all the type-on-glass pundits always say: you'll get used to it!
    04-13-12 07:10 AM
    I'll say to you what all the type-on-glass pundits always say: you'll get used to it!
    Not everyone DOES!
    04-13-12 07:11 AM
    LOL I don't want an iPhone but I sold my 9900 and I ain't paying 600 bucks for another one. I picked the Curve because I didn't need what the 9900 had, heck I never even record vids with my phone!

I'll check out the app...I figured it was some speech talk program and most of them don't work. But I'll check it out...
    04-13-12 07:53 AM
    LOL I don't want an iPhone but I sold my 9900 and I ain't paying 600 bucks for another one. I picked the Curve because I didn't need what the 9900 had, heck I never even record vids with my phone!

I'll check out the app...I figured it was some speech talk program and most of them don't work. But I'll check it out...
    Kinda like trading in a Mustang for a focus don't you think.

Vlingo works great, also keep in mind it gets more accurate the more you use it so don't get frustrated when it isn't perfect as soon as you set it up. Give it a couple weeks of continuous usage.
    04-13-12 08:06 AM
    Kinda like trading in a Mustang for a focus don't you think.

Vlingo works great, also keep in mind it gets more accurate the more you use it so don't get frustrated when it isn't perfect as soon as you set it up. Give it a couple weeks of continuous usage.
    No I don't "think", I left T-Mobile for the iPhone and had no reason to keep the phone as I didn't think I was returning, so I sold it. I ended up returning because of Sprint's network being next to non existant and I had to repurchase a phone.
    04-13-12 08:14 AM
    OK so I admit I was wrong...the Vlingo app actually works...I'm shocked! I have one question though, is there anyway to have the text paste into your app without you having to click onto the paste button after you stop talking?

It's kind of annoying...I guess I'm curious as to why it doesn't automatically go there by itself.
    04-13-12 09:39 AM
    OK so I admit I was wrong...the Vlingo app actually works...I'm shocked! I have one question though, is there anyway to have the text paste into your app without you having to click onto the paste button after you stop talking?

It's kind of annoying...I guess I'm curious as to why it doesn't automatically go there by itself.
    Glad you found it helpful. I have Vlingo however I don't really use it. I recognise what you say but I'm not completely knowledgeable with it.

I ought to use it more

Hope it works out for you.
    04-13-12 09:46 AM
    Is there anyway to change the vibrate the phone makes when you press the button to speak? I'd rather hear an audio tone then a vibrate tone.
    04-13-12 09:48 AM
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I've always preferred the curve keyboards to the bolds. I find it similar to the 8700 which was my first BB, and I can type faster on the 9360 than my 9700 which I switched from recently. Anyway, I think it's personal preference, this phone works for some people. Different phones for different folks...
    04-14-12 01:19 PM

D, 1st things 1st - please overlook and don't respond to crackamon. Some of us, me included - go off on the first hint of a troll - which I don't thing you are. Some folks just have different preferences regarding keyboards is all that you are saying - some of us just wish comments from CBers would end with the observation withoout making it about "RIM sucks" "RIM's a failure" "RIM this" "RIM that" . . . .

Regarding Vlingo - RIM made that free for us!!! And it is great when you get used to it. Requires a "Paste" into a field to allow you to edit, and even better to "teach" Vlingo when it makes a mistake - if it gets a word wrong - hover your cursor over it and it will give you options to make corrections with other words it thinks you "might" have said. It's Vlingo's way of dealing with dialects, accents, pronunciations, etc.

As someone else said - give it some time and it will learn from your corrections - don't do what I did: I got ticked about errors and backed out and restarted my recordings - defeated the purpose of the app!!! <<slow learner>>

>>crackamon>> play nice
    04-14-12 07:17 PM
    It does take time to get used to the small keys on our Curves. I've had mine for two weeks now and am starting to get better. One thing you could also try is to change your typing style (for example, using your left thumb and right index finger instead of both thumbs). That's actually how I've started typing on my 9360 and it seems to help.
    04-15-12 04:10 AM
    Im surprised this thread isn't locked! Haa
    04-18-12 08:15 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD