My name if Bob and I'm addicted to my blackberry. I've only had it a week and can't put it down.

I'm working my way around it, but had a question or two or so. So I hope not to bother but.

1) I have Verizon and my browser is really slow and loading. Any ideas why? And how can this be adjusted?

2) I've seen people posting about Opera. What is this app?

Don't want to overwhelm so I'll limit the questions for now.

Any advice and suggestions on maximizing the BB experience is and will always be welcome.

Thanks
    09-12-08 07:32 PM
    First off go to your browser icon, click it and when your browser opens, hit the menu button(button to left of trackball) and select options. then go to cache operations and clear your web cache and cookies. Clear your old e-mails and SMS text messages you don't want. Fianally, remove your battery while the device is still on, wait a minute and insert. Let us know if this helps...
    09-12-08 07:39 PM
    It cleared out the cache. Don't really have too many emails yet. But the speed is ok. It might be Verizon.
    09-12-08 08:04 PM
    It cleared out the cache. Don't really have too many emails yet. But the speed is ok. It might be Verizon.
    Now that you mention it, my browser has been slow the past day or so. Are you the same?
    09-12-08 08:09 PM
    yeah. Slow. It makes it impossible to download any apps b/c of the speed.
    09-12-08 08:11 PM
    OK, mine is not that slow, but the last day or so i have noticed that it is. I am very familiar with my device and i think it it Verizon as well...
    09-12-08 08:16 PM
    Not sure of the issue, but most likely Verizon is the culprit. Service is good for the most part though.
    09-12-08 08:22 PM
    I like Verizon alot man. They have been good to me and their speed on a Berry is awesome. Been with them for 6 years and built my plan thru the years. For all I do with this berry besides hacking the **** out of it $79.99 a month is well worth it for me man...
    09-12-08 08:26 PM
    I agree. I've been with them for 15 years. Only minor problems here and there. Besides, I get a wicked good discount through my company to use them.
    09-12-08 08:31 PM
    Exactly. That's what I'm sayin. BTW, welcome to the forums. Feel free to post away man. The search tool in the right corner will help you out with alot of the questions you will have. If not ask away!
    09-12-08 08:33 PM
    Thanks for the welcome. So far the place has been great. Awesome source for information.
    09-12-08 08:40 PM
    My name if Bob and I'm addicted to my blackberry. I've only had it a week and can't put it down.

I'm working my way around it, but had a question or two or so. So I hope not to bother but.

1) I have Verizon and my browser is really slow and loading. Any ideas why? And how can this be adjusted?

2) I've seen people posting about Opera. What is this app?

Don't want to overwhelm so I'll limit the questions for now.

Any advice and suggestions on maximizing the BB experience is and will always be welcome.

Thanks
    Bob-

You could have worse addictions! But I've found that my bb makes my S.O. quite jealous!

I've an alltel 8830WE. The bb browser on mine is speedy on websites designed for mobile or bb, but it's never worked well on regular sites -- even w/EVDO connection.

So I use opera mini. It renders regular webpages quickly even with only a 1X connection. It rarely times out. Plus graphics and pics are displayed.

Opera has two viewing modes: desktop, which displays the whole page on one screen and you zoom in to read the text or whatever and can move about the page using the keyboard. The other mode is mobile which renders the page into one column the width of your screen. This is first browser I've used that makes the internet truly usable on a smartphone.

As mentioned above, on this bb you'll want to clean up the memory a bit after some heavy browsing: Before leaving opera, click the menu button, select history then delete then yes. Next hit menu button again, select settings then cookies then delete (unless of course you to save them) then yes. Finish with menu once again then exit.

I've not found an option on opera that specifically empties the cache, but this seems to work well enough

Happy browsing!

p.s. if searching the forums or BB 101 doesn't get you the answer you need, don't hesitate to post your ?'s -- CB folks are glad to help out
    09-15-08 11:49 AM
    I would probably recommend updating the os to 4.5.0.77, but the only problem is that it is not complete, meaning you will get some minor problems, but it made mine and my fiancee's 8830s much faster. She has verizon and I have sprint.
    09-28-08 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD