Nokia Confirms Lumia 900 Software Glitch, Offers Fix and $100 Credit - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

$100 credit for ALL Lumia buyers who purchase before 4/21, and an update being pushed to fix the issue within a few weeks. THAT is customer service.

Contrast that with RIM's actions: {sound of crickets}.
    04-11-12 09:00 AM
    That was a software issue, present on ALL Lumia's... the 'bricking' issue is neither
    04-11-12 09:04 AM
    @ Phill_UK, you cant prove that it isnt a software issue. RIM themselves claim its a software issue. I see no reason to defend the way how RIM dealt with this issue. They would have gotten a lot more respect if they had issued a fix or a recall on the problem devices.
    04-11-12 09:26 AM
    I think that even the most die hard RIM fan will agree the company dropped the ball on the bricking issue.
    deezy87 likes this.
    04-11-12 09:34 AM
    Did anyone ever have trouble getting their phone replaced if it bricked? If you didn't, then it was handled appropriately. This is something that has not affected every single 9900/9930, it's only affected some. I would not expect RIM to compensate every 9900 user for a problem that only some experienced. I would expect them to fix the problem (which they have, for the most part) and to replace the phones that were affected (which they did/are doing).

How exactly was the ball dropped?

JB
    kbz1960 and SnoozerBold like this.
    04-11-12 09:37 AM
    That was a software issue, present on ALL Lumia's... the 'bricking' issue is neither
    It does not affect all Lumias--read the articles/reports. Also, I see a lot of people, including you I believe, saying the bricking issue is gone with 7.1. Wouldn't that make it a software issue?

The point is the contrast of the two approaches: nothing and everything. If you can't see it Phil, I don't know what else to say.
    04-11-12 09:59 AM
    Well then maybe you should go buy a lumia with the software glitch so you feel better

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 10:21 AM
    It does not affect all Lumias--read the articles/reports. Also, I see a lot of people, including you I believe, saying the bricking issue is gone with 7.1. Wouldn't that make it a software issue?

The point is the contrast of the two approaches: nothing and everything. If you can't see it Phil, I don't know what else to say.
    I didn't read the article, but I do find it hard to comprehend a 'software glitch' that only affects 'some' devices. Same with the 9900/9930 'bricking issue' that I never believed was a software problem, nor did I comment that it had gone with OS7.1

A software issue to me would affect all users running said software, which was clearly never the case with the 9900/9930 or we'd all have bricked at some point. I've always believed that the 'bricking issue' was a hardware problem on some early devices. A faulty component waiting to fail.

My view is that RIM acknowledged there was a problem but made it out to be a 'fixable' software issue, rather than recalling all devices when only a few were affected. They then told carriers to replace all affected devices, no questions asked.

So the contrast of the two approaches is more like: something and everything.
    LordCrankypants likes this.
    04-11-12 11:07 AM
    Nokia is desperate for marketshare and this Lumia is their first break out device.

If they sold 50 million WP7 Lumia models already, they would not be offering $100 plain and simple.

Also, Nokia has a history of doing many things wrong and they still repeat a lot of them, so good luck with them...
    04-11-12 11:27 AM
    Well then maybe you should go buy a lumia with the software glitch so you feel better

Nah, I'm into pain and suffering, so I go with the device whose manufacturing just ignores their product's problem.
    04-11-12 11:34 AM
    RIM could have handled it better... but I think in their current market storm etc. This is the safe way of fixing it. quietly praying it goes away after replacing most defects. They SHOULD have said that its a glitch and replacement for ALL/ANY warranties. Some people bought second hand etc did not get a replacement. I think 9900 problems is deeper than software probably hardware, which makes sense for them not to say anything...
    04-11-12 11:44 AM
    When you buy second hand, the company is under no obligation to provide a warranty for it - it's up to the consumer to get the warranty paperwork from the seller if they wish to be able to justify that it is still present on the device. If you don't do that, that's really not RIM's problem (and I don't blame them either - they warranty NEW phones when bought as such, not used ones. You buy refurished from a reputable source, you get 90 days - what do you expect from buying from your neighbour?).

For those that bought the phones new and consumers smart enough to get the appropriate paperwork and/or substantiation that the phone is still under warranty, their product will be replaced or fixed no problem (and has been up to this point).

JB
    04-11-12 12:04 PM
    RIM acknowledged the issue. They didn't follow up though on a solution. They should have been more transparent. I don't they handled it properly. They need better communication with their customers.

RIM confirms issue with BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930, working on a fix via software update
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-11-12 at 12:29 PM.
    04-11-12 12:23 PM
    The solution was for people whose phones were affected to bring them back to their carriers for a replacement. Did they really have to spell that out?

JB
    04-11-12 12:26 PM
    That's not an acceptable solution. Verizon, I know, never acknowledged the issue and gave some customers hard time when they tried to replace their phone.

As well, some customers that did replace their device had that device, in turn, brick or nuke.

It isn't acceptable. RIM is the hardware and software maker. They should have been the ones to handle the situation. Not the service providers. The service was fine, the software and or hardware was faulty.

If LG TVs had a faulty wire that made them overheat and not turn on, I wouldn't take it to DISH Network.

Even if RIM authorized the service providers to exchange the faulty handsets, RIM still did not communicate effectively with their customers. In my opinion, it further hurt their reputation.

RIM needs be more vocal. Releasing a phone that bricks or nukes randomly just isn't acceptable.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-11-12 at 12:39 PM.
    04-11-12 12:34 PM
    I've never bricked my 9930. I bought it the day it came out. RIM does well to me. Shut up...
    04-11-12 12:34 PM
    They could have been more public about the solution and what OS 7.1 meant. As a result, you get a bunch of consumers speculating, most of them not knowing what they're talking about, and that is never good.

But rest assured Nokia is doing this because they need to be established in WP. If they were already they wouldn't be this nice...
    04-11-12 12:53 PM
    I've never bricked my 9930. I bought it the day it came out. RIM does well to me. Shut up...
    I guess you told me, didn't you?
    04-11-12 01:29 PM
    How many people bought their Bold somewhere without a warranty to replace it? How many people bought their Bold and traveled and couldnt replace it? How many people already switched 2? 3? 4? 5??? Bolds? How many people got a refurbished Bold back when they just had a new one? How many people have a dead Bold lying in their house somewhere not knowing what to do with it now?

Waay to many for RIM simply not to do anything about it! Or even say a word about it!

Just because it hasnt happened to you (yet) doesnt mean its all good.

Its happening to waay to many devices to be a coincidence...google the problem...its all over the internet, all over the world.

We want something, anything from RIM to hear about it!
    04-11-12 03:35 PM
    Bricking and less battery life are the two sticking issue of 99xx phones. Otherwise it would have been a hit like its predecessors. It seems that the issues are fixed to some extent.. But it leaves a lot of bad vibe to many... Hopeful that new management is a better executor than this.

04-11-12 09:41 PM
    Well that's mature.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    04-11-12 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD