My new app "StreamingNow" has been approved. Here is app url in App World

Main features are:
    1. Stream all PlayBook-compatible video from Windows PC.
    2. Supports AC3, DTS, etc. audio codecs by remuxing
    3. Convert flv, rmvb, etc. video files to PlayBool-compatible format:
    4. Supports mkv, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, mpeg4, flv, rm, rmvb, etc. video formats
    5. Has build-in video player with full-screen mode
    6. Displays detailed media profile information like codec, bitrate, sampling rate, etc

NOTE: StreamingNow Media Server is required to install and run on your Windows PC. No Mac or linux version is available yet. Please visit 7mobile.ca/streamingnow/ for more information.

Hope you like it and enjoy.

04-11-12 12:45 AM
    Looks good, I'll give it a go.
    04-11-12 12:48 AM
    This looks really good, how fast does it start streaming the converted video?
    04-11-12 01:28 AM
    Put in DLNA into this and I'd pay north of $10.00 instantly.
    I'm getting the 0003-0001 error right now, which Google tells me App World is having the hiccups.
    I'll gladly try it out tomorrow.
    04-11-12 01:41 AM
    So does it just demux and remux container files?
    04-11-12 01:42 AM
    Put in DLNA into this and I'd pay north of $10.00 instantly.
    I'm getting the 0003-0001 error right now, which Google tells me App World is having the hiccups.
    I'll gladly try it out tomorrow.

just retry until it works, it happens often to me also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 01:53 AM
    I want to give it a go but I have to ask first: any chance of subtitles in the future?
    Tks.
    04-11-12 02:45 AM
    So does it just demux and remux container files?
    No, much more than that. It streams video from PC to Playbook and provides options for user to remux or convert PlayBook-unsupported videos.
    04-11-12 09:17 AM
    just retry until it works, it happens often to me also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    It was approved at 11:24 PM last night(Eastern Time) and should be ready for downloading now.
    04-11-12 09:25 AM
    Looks good! Gonna give this a try later this week as a substitute to Subsonic.
    04-11-12 10:13 AM
    @may21, is this only meant for streaming within your network?
    04-11-12 10:34 AM
    @may21, is this only meant for streaming within your network?
    Yes, it's designed for home entertainment and not for streaming over Internet.
    04-11-12 10:40 AM
    It would have been good to have that info in the app description.

I want to support devs so i don't care about the $3.99 but there may be other people out there that buy it expecting to be able to stream over the internet.
    04-11-12 10:46 AM
    yes, it should be a good feature.
    Last edited by gaoliang21; 04-11-12 at 11:04 AM.
    04-11-12 10:54 AM
    I purchased the app and now is a kind request to the developer. Can you implement subtitles too? Thank you.
    68pony likes this.
    04-11-12 11:30 AM
    I haven't purchased this yet, so I don't know, but are you not able to specify a port so that if you were to use forwarding, you could access and stream this content from elsewhere?

I guess you would need to have a bitrate/quality toggle for that to work, so I think I've answered my own question...
    04-11-12 12:29 PM
    Awesome app. Thank you very much. Well worth the money spent.
    04-11-12 12:38 PM
    No, much more than that. It streams video from PC to Playbook and provides options for user to remux or convert PlayBook-unsupported videos.
    I bought the app. So far it works as it should, thanks.
    It doesn't like UNC paths to network drives but works fine with mapped drive letters.
    The drives appear in the list but if you select one you will get a WiFi / Server error.

I have a few of questions.
    Is there any way to sort file and folder names?
    The Remove Files from Queue button doesn't seem to do anything. Is it broken?
    How do I delete files after I have watched them?
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 04-11-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    04-11-12 08:23 PM
    I bought the app. So far it works as it should, thanks.
    It doesn't like UNC paths to network drives but works fine with mapped drive letters.
    The drives appear in the list but if you select one you will get a WiFi / Server error.

I have a few of questions.
    Is there any way to sort file and folder names?
    The Remove Files from Queue button doesn't seem to do anything. Is it broken?
    How do I delete files after I have watched them?
    Hi Angus_CB,

Thanks for purchasing StreamingNow. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Is there any way to sort file and folder names?
    It's currently list file/folders in ascending alphabetic order. It seems it doesn't work for network-mapped drives. For short term, we will release a server update very soon to adress this issue because it doesn't need to wait for RIM approval.

2. The Remove Files from Queue button doesn't seem to do anything. Is it broken?
    We can't reproduce this issue. In order to remove a file, you have to make sure the checkbox next to the file name checked.

3. How do I delete files after I have watched them?
    In current version, you have to delete it manually. We are working on the next App update that will allow you to delete or download files from Playbook.

And we just released Streaming Media Server v1.0.1 today. It supports more video formats now. Please check the change log on our web site.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
    04-12-12 01:57 AM
    Hi Angus_CB,

Thanks for purchasing StreamingNow. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Is there any way to sort file and folder names?
    It's currently list file/folders in ascending alphabetic order. It seems it doesn't work for network-mapped drives. For short term, we will release a server update very soon to adress this issue because it doesn't need to wait for RIM approval.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to the update.

2. The Remove Files from Queue button doesn't seem to do anything. Is it broken?
    We can't reproduce this issue. In order to remove a file, you have to make sure the checkbox next to the file name checked.
    I don't have chackboxes next to the file names. Checking the box at the top does not check the file name(s) below.

3. How do I delete files after I have watched them?
    In current version, you have to delete it manually. We are working on the next App update that will allow you to delete or download files from Playbook.
    Where are they downloaded to?

And we just released Streaming Media Server v1.0.1 today. It supports more video formats now. Please check the change log on our web site.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
    04-12-12 04:52 AM
    No free trial? Not going to get ripped off again. Give us a free trial to kick the tires.
    04-12-12 10:35 AM
    No free trial? Not going to get ripped off again. Give us a free trial to kick the tires.
    I agree. At best this is a Beta version.
    I am not bothered by the $3.99 spent. I got my moneys worth but the app isn't finished.
    04-13-12 04:53 AM
    Couple of questions as I am not a video expert !!
    Does this COPY the files to the playbook and then play them or are they streamed?
    Does it convert the files on the fly or do you have to manually convert them before streaming?

The reason I ask is that I can do both without purchasing software. It's what I do now. However, if I can stream movies from my computer without having to go through the trouble of converting and copying, then I will purchase this app. And I will make sure it goes on my wifes PB as well. I have a bunch of movies (mostly .avi) and often have them copied to PB before finding out they won't play (probably sound encoding). This app sounds like it MIGHT be what I'm looking for. Thsnks.

GC
    04-13-12 09:03 AM
    I have a simple question.

Just want to be sure that while streaming video to watch on the plaYbook, it isn't also playing on the computer. Sounds like its not, but can do that with splashtop.

Need to know that someone can be using the computer while I am streaming the video with neither of us interfering with each other.
    04-13-12 09:17 AM
    I agree. At best this is a Beta version.
    I am not bothered by the $3.99 spent. I got my moneys worth but the app isn't finished.
    I totally don't agree. StreamingNow does what we promised already. We received very positive response from our customers since it was released. It's definitely finished but not perfect. No app is perfect in the first release. The most important thing is that we listen users' feedback and will keep improve our app to make it better.

Re-answer to your above 3 questions:

1. File/folder names are sorted already. It works well on internal, usb and external drives. Two users reported files/folders are not ordered on their NAS devices but it's fine on our side. We are working on the fix.

2. The in-process file is not allowed to be deleted from queue currently. Because video transcoding is a time-consuming task on low-end PC, we don't like user to kill the in-process file by accident. Based on users feedback and suggestions, we decided to enhance queue management to add more options. In next update, user can stop/delete any in-process and queue files. Currently you still are able to delete files from queue if is is being processed.

3. It currently doesn't provide a way to "delete" physical file on Pc drive. Personally I don't want a app to remove physical files on my PC but we will add this feature in the future update according to user request. It will allow user to delete any files from video output folder but can't remove original files.

The new update is scheduled to submit to App World for approval next week.
    04-13-12 09:19 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD