Alec,

Free PlayBook deal worked, sort of. Yes some apps are good, some great, but most are below average.

The way the great community here at CrackBerry has donated their time in converting free Android apps is amazing. Apps we actually want and need for the PlayBook to become entertaining, productive, and more of a tool than it was previously.

Now no sideloading. What is RIM doing to get these functioning Android Apps onto App World? We know now they work, we've sideloaded them, hundreds of them.

How about RIM take over the good work these CB guys have been doing. Don't wait for Android developers to visit your stand, or show up to your developer meet ups, BE PROACTIVE.

Convert the top 500 Android Apps.
    Show the developer they work (or fix your player so they do)
    Get the ok.
    Release it.

This targets popular apps, apps we want. Much cheaper than giving a way 6000 PlayBook's and the apps you get you know are popular with consumers / potential customers to move over from an Android Tab.

I've emailed, used twitter etc for the apps I want, the developers are Lazy! Show them its not only easy but you've done it for them. #Proactive!

You may never read this and that's fine at least I've tried.

Thanks,

Update: I hope I didn't take up to much of his time, his no doubt flat out, as you would know if you follow his twitter feed.

asaunders Alec Saunders
    @me. yes, it could work. Note that we're already working with those top 500 on native apps.

I understand they would be 'working' with them, however my idea is quick, cheap, targeted, and #Proactive! Remember, each country has their top 500 also, converting is much more efficient than attempting to convince the developer to make a native App.

Plus if the converted app gets a good reaction, makes it an easier sell to work on a Native version.
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 04-10-12 at 08:51 AM.
    04-10-12 07:32 AM
    I don't know why people think RIM is in a position where they have to get grass and bruises all over their knees, or possibly endure the discomfort of dislocating their jaw when it comes to developers...

YES, this platform needs more developer support. NO, I do not think RIM should change what their doing - especially since it's likely all-BB10 for them right now - and spend their time porting sh*tty Android apps. If I know an app is Android in App World, the chances of me giving it a try are quite slim. And I know that's not just me who feels that way.
    Last edited by joski; 04-10-12 at 07:42 AM.
    deanrw1 and biff101 like this.
    04-10-12 07:40 AM
    Wouldnt agree anymore, should ged #proactive trending so rim could see this
    Im going to tweet this link to uk bb as they always reply to me.
    04-10-12 07:42 AM
    I don't know why people think RIM is in a position where they have to get grass and bruises all over their knees, or possibly endure the discomfort of dislocating their jaw when it comes to developers...

YES, this platform needs more developer support. NO, I do not think RIM should change what their doing - especially since it's likely all-BB10 for them right now - and spend their time porting sh*tty Android apps. If I know an app is Android in App World, the chances of me giving it a try are quite slim. And I know that's not just me who feels that way.
    The top 500 aren't sh*tty, they are what people are using, the shot gun method of the free PlayBook idea brings the good and the bad, mostly bad I agree. This idea targets only the best!

Be #Proactive and target the best the competitors have to offer, let's catch up and rock this! (Alec, I had to put that in just for Thor!)
    04-10-12 08:01 AM

I've been seeing this sentiment in threads all over the place lately. Wait for BB10, don't worry developers will be there with BB10, etc. That makes no sense. A couple months ago when nobody was developing for PB everyone was saying "wait for 2.0", "developers will be there for 2.0".

I think it's a pipe-dream. I don't know what needs to change but something does.
    yanicmb and dave1701 like this.
    04-10-12 08:07 AM
    The top 500 aren't sh*tty, they are what people are using, the shot gun method of the free PlayBook idea brings the good and the bad, mostly bad I agree. This idea targets only the best!

Be #Proactive and target the best the competitors have to offer, let's catch up and rock this! (Alec, I had to put that in just for Thor!)
    I understand what you mean, and the sh*tty comment was more-or-less due to the fact it's Android.

I've been thinking about this lately. Pretty much ANY new ported Android app will not work on PlayBook, as the emulation is only that of 2.3.2 - which is now becoming VERY obsolete. What I was also thinking about was all of those cheap, off-shore, garbage Android tablets running 2.2 and 2.3. My prediction is that they are going to be next to useless in the coming months because the newer Android software doesn't appear to be as "backward-compatible" as, say, the apps on iOS (that will run like sh*t on an OG iPhone, with the latest OS installed).

Android emulation was a good idea at the time, but unless RIM continues to update it (Honeycomb, ICS), it's going to be useless as more/newer apps are released for the newer Android OS's.
    Last edited by joski; 04-10-12 at 08:13 AM.
    bodjor likes this.
    04-10-12 08:09 AM
    I've been seeing this sentiment in threads all over the place lately. Wait for BB10, don't worry developers will be there with BB10, etc. That makes no sense. A couple months ago when nobody was developing for PB everyone was saying "wait for 2.0", "developers will be there for 2.0".

I think it's a pipe-dream. I don't know what needs to change but something does.
    That's exactly what I DIDN'T say though. I can't speak for any of the other threads but anytime I've said this was because whatever was being CLAIMED as a good idea, wasn't justifyable enough for RIM to sacrifice their attention to BB10 over.

See my previous post as to why I feel the way I do about the Android emulator.
    04-10-12 08:12 AM
    Android emulation was a good idea at the time, but unless RIM continues to update it (Honeycomb, ICS), it's going to be useless as more/newer apps are released for the newer Android OS's.
    Re read what I said,

"Show the developer they work (or fix your player so they do)"

PS: Keep it nice guys, I don't want this thread closed!
    04-10-12 08:19 AM
    Re read what I said,

"Show the developer they work (or fix your player so they do)"
    I saw that you mentioned that, but with the Android OS being ever-changing, I wonder if it's even worth it is what I was getting at. I don't know whether or not it's difficult to implement a change like that, but we also aren't seeing constant updates that have addressed Android emulation issues thus far.
    04-10-12 08:21 AM
    That is an important point people are glossing over that speaks to the whole reason for sideloading in the 1st place. RIM was throwing consumers a bone with the android player, publicly touting all the apps it could open the door too. I am assuming their idea was a) help the marketing hype and b) attract more android revs to the PB. The problem is that they did a) but really are not succeeding at b). So while they may not have sold us a PB with a sideloading feature, they sold one with Android compatibility. This whole situation pushed users to "doing it themselves" and now they want to revise the main way most power users get their Android apps in. It is late in the game to cry foul once you pushed us in that direction.

Address the lack of apps 1st, ensure that if you sold us an Android compatible device you continue to deliver updates as Android does. If you cannot even do that what will attract new android devs to the PB if they have port 2 versions or more back to obviously less mature development environment? An ideal world would have been thousands of apps ported and ultimately made native once the dev groups were on board and ultimately the android emu going away. Instead you have this stopgap that relies heavily on sideloading right now and RIM wants to plug it up. That's what annoys me about this whole situation and is leaving a sour taste in my mouth about RIM in general.
    joski likes this.
    04-10-12 08:38 AM
    next person who posts any more personal crap is gone for a week.
    04-10-12 08:46 AM
    next person who posts any more personal crap is gone for a week.
    You've removed the posts. Now all that sits in this thread aside from the posts above, is your post which for those who weren't following when the junk posts were in here, makes no sense. I'm glad you rid the thread of garbage but this wasn't necessary dude.
    04-10-12 08:49 AM
    I have yet to see where the Android Player, or any of the free Playbook giveaways has helped get quality apps to the Playbook at all. In fact it appears that the Android player, combined with the people stealing apps/intellectual property via the Android repackager and side loading, is apparently keeping developers away according to some of the recent tweets.
    04-10-12 08:56 AM
    I have yet to see where the Android Player, or any of the free Playbook giveaways has helped get quality apps to the Playbook at all. In fact it appears that the Android player, combined with the people stealing apps/intellectual property via the Android repackager and side loading, is apparently keeping developers away according to some of the recent tweets.
    Okay, no side loading, but what are they (RIM) doing to fill the void? Be #Proactive and convert them for the developer, get their ok, release it!

We have over 50 tic tac toe games! How many got a free PlayBook? At least this idea is targeted!
    04-10-12 09:04 AM
    You've removed the posts. Now all that sits in this thread aside from the posts above, is your post which for those who weren't following when the junk posts were in here, makes no sense. I'm glad you rid the thread of garbage but this wasn't necessary dude.
    even after i deleted the 1st round of insults you two threw at each other you both still posted more BS. How bout you drop it and get back on topic.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    04-10-12 09:08 AM
    I understand what you mean, and the sh*tty comment was more-or-less due to the fact it's Android.

I've been thinking about this lately. Pretty much ANY new ported Android app will not work on PlayBook, as the emulation is only that of 2.3.2 - which is now becoming VERY obsolete. What I was also thinking about was all of those cheap, off-shore, garbage Android tablets running 2.2 and 2.3. My prediction is that they are going to be next to useless in the coming months because the newer Android software doesn't appear to be as "backward-compatible" as, say, the apps on iOS (that will run like sh*t on an OG iPhone, with the latest OS installed).

This is a myth, 99% of Apps work even on 2.2. I have a 2.2 phone and the only Apps I have trouble installing are those optimized for a particular CPU which is Flash player so far.
    04-10-12 09:10 AM
    This is a myth, 99% of Apps work even on 2.2. I have a 2.2 phone and the only Apps I have trouble installing are those optimized for a particular CPU which is Flash player so far.
    My myth done got BUSTED!

I'd like to test it a little bit more but I don't have an Android device.
    04-10-12 09:15 AM
    Nice idea. But i have a question. Lets say RIM takes the time to convert the app and then the dev says NO..... That doesnt leave RIM any better off.

As for waiting till BB10..... Its a no brainer surely. One OS across all phone ranges and the tablet will take the fight to all. A direct comparison with the other fruit shows how effective one OS can be. Now take that vision and add multiple handsets options (BB10 Bold please), The best Tablet on the market all tied in with RIMs legendary security.

With every phone and the 4g PB, BB10 Will give RIM the unit numbers to get peoples attention.
    joski likes this.
    04-10-12 02:47 PM
    Nice idea. But i have a question. Lets say RIM takes the time to convert the app and then the dev says NO..... That doesnt leave RIM any better off.
    6000 x 300 plus postage etc, lets say approx $2million. That's what was spent on free PlayBook's to random developers, some good, some great, but mostly poor apps.

This idea is quick and cheap, not sure why they would say No, but even if they did, the cost + time invested is very minimal. You get a No, move down the line, at least it's based on popularity.

I'd also find our target market and ask, What apps do our market want? Target those Android Developers. Banking Apps, every country, every bank, even if it's just a webworks version of their site. In Australia, we have zero Banking Apps. Android, iOS both have many. RIM, offer to create webworks apps for free or a small amount?

Theirs some great people on CrackBerry offering to package websites as webworks apps, why can't RIM be #Proactive like this?

Submit Splash and Icon image and a free BlackBerry App. Done!

#Proactive. #Proactive. #Proactive.
    04-10-12 03:17 PM
    6000 x 300 plus postage etc, lets say approx $2million. That's what was spent on free PlayBook's to random developers, some good, some great, but mostly poor apps.

This idea is quick and cheap, not sure why they would say No, but even if they did, the cost + time invested is very minimal. You get a No, move down the line, at least it's based on popularity.

I'd also find our target market and ask, What apps do our market want? Target those Android Developers. Banking Apps, every country, every bank, even if it's just a webworks version of their site. In Australia, we have zero Banking Apps. Android, iOS both have many. RIM, offer to create webworks apps for free or a small amount?

Theirs some great people on CrackBerry offering to package websites as webworks apps, why can't RIM be #Proactive like this?

Submit Splash and Icon image and a free BlackBerry App. Done!

#Proactive. #Proactive. #Proactive.
    You have a great idea indeed.
    You will have to face the facts, that RIM (like many corporation/businesses) have many proposals/ideas that never "goes live" or sees the light of day.
    Things are definitely easier said then done and it comes down to whether or not the "shot caller" wants to entertain it.
    04-10-12 04:12 PM
    I think they are being proactive and theres a lot going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Also they are doing this globally which is quiet the undertaking. Good things take time.
    04-10-12 04:19 PM
    I think they are being proactive and theres a lot going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Also they are doing this globally which is quiet the undertaking. Good things take time.
    I disagree, waiting for people to come to you isn't proactive. Go and grab them by the scruff of the neck and drag them kicking and screaming to the platform. Or so to speak... :-)

GLOBAL yes, what is BlackBerry Australia doing for example. No Afl Apps? No banking apps? No public transport apps? No stock trading apps? No local apps! People go out and test the other tablets, all these apps are there.

RIM / BlackBerry AUSTRALIA why not covert these companies websites to Webworks Apps, at least when considering the PlayBook people can see, ohh, yes they have a NAB app or yep, my sporting needs are being met. Of course techies know we can use the browser but we live in an app society.
    04-10-12 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD