This is driving me insane. All I want to do is send an email to particular email addresses from my Playbook. My accounts are all set up and work fine, so that is not the issue.

I'm a teacher in the UK and all the schools in our area have email addresses set up by the local authority. They look like this:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

Now, whenever I try and send an email on my playbook to an email address that has a schoolname.northants-ecl.gov.uk suffix it refuses to send it. The email address goes red as soon as I type it in, and when I click to send the email, I get a popup appear telling me the email address is invalid and to change it (see attached image)

Attachment 107096

I know for a fact the email address is typed correctly, and I've contacted @BlackberryHelp on twitter who have now just sent me off to the direct Playbook support site.

Rant over, thanks for reading!

Zeb
    Last edited by Zebedee; 04-07-12 at 01:56 AM.
    Mr.Softberry and Tcarb like this.
    04-06-12 01:54 PM
    Interesting.
    I get the same results on my native email app as well.
    However, I tried it on the bridge email and it looks normal there. Do you have a Blackberry phone to try bridge email?
    04-06-12 02:14 PM
    Just tried bridge email, and that's fine. I've never had a problem sending from my phone, just can't understand why native email on the PB is stopping it..?
    04-06-12 02:19 PM
    Email address validating rules in the PB messages app must be stricter/different. The best thing you can do is to post on the Beta Zone. I am sure, they'll look into this.
    04-06-12 02:24 PM
    The PB probably doesn't understand dashes
    04-06-12 02:36 PM
    I just made up a fake address [email protected]

It does not turn red like op email example.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-06-12 02:55 PM
    I just made up a fake address [email protected]

It does not turn red like op email example.
    Can you try one with three full stops in the domain?
    04-06-12 03:02 PM
    Try it without the dash (i.e. [email protected]) and see if it works. I seem to recall that dashes are not required as part of an email address, but I have no email addresses with a dash in them to test.
    04-06-12 03:02 PM
    This is driving me insane. All I want to do is send an email to particular email addresses from my Playbook. My accounts are all set up and work fine, so that is not the issue.

I'm a teacher in the UK and all the schools in our area have email addresses set up by the local authority. They look like this:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

Now, whenever I try and send an email on my playbook to an email address that has a schoolname.northants-ecl.gov.uk suffix it refuses to send it. The email address goes red as soon as I type it in, and when I click to send the email, I get a popup appear telling me the email address is invalid and to change it (see attached image)

Attachment 107096

I know for a fact the email address is typed correctly, and I've contacted @BlackberryHelp on twitter who have now just fobbed me off to the direct Playbook support website!

Hopefully the people hear might have a bit more gumption than ^MH or ^RG, whoever they are over at @BlackberryNoHelp!!

Rant over, thanks for reading!

Zeb
    A teacher ? hopefully the people (HEAR) ????????????
    acevansIT, hpjrt and dave1701 like this.
    04-06-12 03:11 PM
    tried [email protected] - worked ok

tried [email protected] - didn't work.

It's obviously something to do with the hyphen, but because [email protected] works ok, then it must be both the hypen and full stop before the .gov.uk suffix????

ie: head@schoolname .northants-ecl .gov.uk

the bold bit is the problem - but then why does it work on a blackberry phone?

04-06-12 03:12 PM
    A teacher ? hopefully the people (HEAR) ????????????
    I deserved that!
    dave1701 likes this.
    04-06-12 03:14 PM
    Seems you have tripped over a bug in the email client. Either that, or the ISP being used to send.
    I believe it's a client problem because the address goes red before the attempt to send.
    04-06-12 03:17 PM
    Try it without the dash (i.e. [email protected]) and see if it works. I seem to recall that dashes are not required as part of an email address, but I have no email addresses with a dash in them to test.
    Dashes are not optional in an email address. You are probably thinking of a scenario where a recipient has multiple aliases at which they can receive mail; one with dashes (or periods or underscores) between the fname and lname, and another without.
    04-06-12 03:24 PM
    Very bizzare. I've posted a message on the Beta zone discussion board, and would definitely agree that it's not an ISP issue - hopefully someone will look at it
    04-06-12 03:25 PM

tried [email protected] - didn't work.

It's obviously something to do with the hyphen, but because [email protected] works ok, then it must be both the hypen and full stop before the .gov.uk suffix????

ie: head@schoolname .northants-ecl .gov.uk

the bold bit is the problem - but then why does it work on a blackberry phone?

So, just to be clear, the workaround for you was to replace the dash with a dot?
    NaijaBerry likes this.
    04-06-12 03:26 PM
    I reproduced the behavior as well; set up the address [email protected].mydomain.com. I verified that I could receive mail by sending from another account, then tried sending mail from the native mail app on my PB. Got exactly the same error as OP.

Clearly, this is a TAT-induced bug. Lots of pretty, but not so much functionality, huh?
    Last edited by cletis; 04-06-12 at 06:24 PM.
    04-06-12 03:26 PM
    cletis - Glad it wasn't just me - was starting to think it might be my Playbook!

mjlott - There isn't any workaround, When I said the email addresses 'worked ok', I just meant that the PB didn't turn them red or say they were invalid. There seems to be no way of sending an email to the address I want to send to.
    04-06-12 03:32 PM
    cletis - Glad it wasn't just me - was starting to think it might be my Playbook!

mjlott - There isn't any workaround, When I said the email addresses 'worked ok', I just meant that the PB didn't turn them red or say they were invalid. There seems to be no way of sending an email to the address I want to send to.
    Ah, ok. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
    04-06-12 03:33 PM
    Someone reported this problem before.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ddress-702840/
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-06-12 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD