I hate to say that ...
    but why we have few apps although ...

APPLE APP STORE started in Jul 10, 2008 and it got 725,700+ apps
    ANDROID MARKET started in Oct 22, 2008 and it got 450,000+ apps
    Blackberry APP WORLD started in Apr 1, 2009 and it got 70,000+ apps

what is that ? and why ?
    04-06-12 03:48 AM
    I was always told quality was more important than quantity.

There are important apps which are missing at the moment, but apart from the obvious ones, i'm not unhappy with the app selection.

Si.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-06-12 04:10 AM
    How many of those applications in the Apple and Android markets are actually useful, quality, well-written applications?

Quality over quantity.

That said, BlackBerry lacks both quantity and quality applications right now and will continue to for at least the next year. For many months after OS10 is released there will continue to be a void as the developers who actually are interested try to catch up.
    madman0141 likes this.
    04-06-12 04:52 AM
    You have to look at the sort of apps that android and apple has majority are games/really useless ones in my opinion. Even though blackberry has fewer apps they are better quality and therefore fulfill better needs and our apps as I mean Blackberries apps tend to be ones we "need" versus pointless ones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 05:11 AM
    Numbers are impressive especially when you inflate them with every app under the sun to include those designed by a guy who downloaded a building apps for dummies book. Quality is important when making apps and I wish there were some standards that had to be met before putting this junk out there.
    04-06-12 05:11 AM
    Please don't get into quality vs quantity as an excuse to justify BBs pathetic excuse of an App store. There is nothing there and even the most deluded BB user can see that.

Also I get the feeling that the choices on the App store are gonna get less and less now that BB is officially a sinking ship. Why do you think I'm throwing away my device and getting an Android?

BB has no apps of any worth. Fact.
    04-06-12 06:24 AM
    Hmmmmm?
    04-06-12 06:27 AM
    Please don't get into quality vs quantity as an excuse to justify BBs pathetic excuse of an App store. There is nothing there and even the most deluded BB user can see that.

Also I get the feeling that the choices on the App store are gonna get less and less now that BB is officially a sinking ship. Why do you think I'm throwing away my device and getting an Android?

The FACT is your post is meaningless trolling. There are a lot of excellent useful apps in App World. I have at least 70 on my phone.

You should give examples of what you can't find. Maybe you're a collector of fine fart apps or you need the latest malware
    04-06-12 07:02 AM
    I guess depending on what apps you were looking for. There are still tons of apps in AW. I always find something to download and try. The main apps (for most) that are missing are well known and many threads have popped up about em.

It would help if you listed some of the apps you might be interested in.
    04-06-12 07:20 AM
    I find the app quality of iOS apps to be far superior to the ones I found on BlackBerry. Many of my favorite apps (NOT games or entertainment) weren't even available and the alternatives were frustratingly dated.

Two that come to mind were my USAA banking app and my favorite checkbook balancing app were not in App World when I was a BlackBerry user last year. Instagram is one of my favorite iPhone apps as well.

And Evernote for BlackBerry was awful, IMO. I decided to try it on my 4S and it's so much more amazing and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by moiselles; 04-06-12 at 07:58 AM.
    04-06-12 07:51 AM

Im always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt but Im beginning to think you're just looking for a response here with your repeated daft posts.
    BB is not officially a sinking ship.
    There are some true quality apps on the BlackBerry app store with far more functionality on a BlackBerry than other OSes as they can hook into BBM and the LED on a BlackBerry.

You are throwing away your BB and getting an Android because either the BB was not a fit for your lifestyle or you're just ignorant of other OSes and will realise your mistake when you actually use another OS for a lengthy period of time.
    Im not being insulting, Im just answering your questions.
    04-06-12 08:03 AM

Why do so many not-so-smart people buy smartphones and then start stupid topic like this one?
    04-06-12 08:18 AM
    The FACT is your post is meaningless trolling. There are a lot of excellent useful apps in App World. I have at least 70 on my phone.

You should give examples of what you can't find. Maybe you're a collector of fine fart apps or you need the latest malware
    Facetious sarcasm aside how about we compare apps that are available on all platforms. One that comes to mind is need for speed shift. Compare the BlackBerry version to the iPhone and android versions and you'll see immediately where the BlackBerry is lacking. Even the version for the playbook looks a generation behind. I don't know if it's the tools that are made available to developers or if the developers only put so much effort into it because of the minimal sales potential but the fact remains there is a glaring difference.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-06-12 08:28 AM
    Gee, Good Friday/Passover, and I'm on my 3rd "in before the lock" post. Some of you guyz need to have a Jesus moment.
    04-06-12 08:54 AM
    Gee, Good Friday/Passover, and I'm on my 3rd "in before the lock" post. Some of you guyz need to have a Jesus moment.
    Yes, we noticed you're unable to stay on topic.

04-06-12 08:56 AM
    Yes, we noticed you're unable to stay on topic.

Good Lord, don't be so quick with the facetious sarcasm. Relax a little, eat a box of prunes....you know the drill.
    04-06-12 09:03 AM
    I find the app quality of iOS apps to be far superior to the ones I found on BlackBerry. Many of my favorite apps (NOT games or entertainment) weren't even available and the alternatives were frustratingly dated.

Two that come to mind were my USAA banking app and my favorite checkbook balancing app were not in App World when I was a BlackBerry user last year. Instagram is one of my favorite iPhone apps as well.

And Evernote for BlackBerry was awful, IMO. I decided to try it on my 4S and it's so much more amazing and smooth.

From my experience most banks have online access through the browser and current OS7 web browsing is excellent and the connection is secure.

Evernote has gone through several upgrades since you left. It's currently very good and will surely get better for BB10

Too many non-BB posters keep trolling about app world supposedly being "pathetic". My desktop computer is a mac mini running lion. I can compare. App World is not pathetic
    04-06-12 09:29 AM
    Facetious sarcasm aside how about we compare apps that are available on all platforms. One that comes to mind is need for speed shift. Compare the BlackBerry version to the iPhone and android versions and you'll see immediately where the BlackBerry is lacking. Even the version for the playbook looks a generation behind. I don't know if it's the tools that are made available to developers or if the developers only put so much effort into it because of the minimal sales potential but the fact remains there is a glaring difference.

Well I guess you play need for speed shift...can't argue with that one
    04-06-12 09:45 AM
    I suspect that most developers will concentrate BB10, since BB10 is the future and also will have better tools for developers.

Legacy BBOS is being phased out, so developers are going to concentrate on BB10, not legacy BBOS, which per RIM itself will be a dead end eventually, once BB10 is released.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-06-12 09:49 AM
    Well I guess you play need for speed shift...can't argue with that one
    Eye rolls! Love em! Nothing says contempt better than a good eye roll.

Yes I do play need for speed shift, it's one of the many things I do on a mobile device isn't that the point?

It also happens to be one of the apps that are available on all major platforms and clearly shows the disparity between the quality of BlackBerry applications and those on other devices.

I'm going to assume it's the quality of the developer tools, or lack thereof, that made this game so poor on the BlackBerry and if that is the case it's something that rim need to rectify very quickly. If the tools aren't any good (as many developers have said in the past) that may very well be one of the reasons these other applications are not available.

Last edited by xandermac; 04-06-12 at 10:14 AM.
    04-06-12 10:12 AM
    I hate to say that ...
    but why we have few apps although ...

APPLE APP STORE started in Jul 10, 2008 and it got 725,700+ apps
    ANDROID MARKET started in Oct 22, 2008 and it got 450,000+ apps
    Blackberry APP WORLD started in Apr 1, 2009 and it got 70,000+ apps

what is that ? and why ?

The reason is actually not complicated

Apple Built their platform around Apps, They started off making quality dev tools and promoting apps the devices and the ecosystem is made with a focus on apps.

Google took Android and to generate ad revenue followed the same business model, they can put ads in apps, being open source it attracted developers, and being built into so many devices people saw market penetration potential

RIM built their platform around email and security, RIM held onto this idea that it was enough for about 2 years too long, and then another 2 years they've spent trying to figure things out, BB10 is them finally embracing app development,
    once BB10 is out the growth of App world will be much faster than it has been previously I suspect.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-12 10:28 AM
    Apple Built their platform around Apps, They started off making quality dev tools and promoting apps the devices and the ecosystem is made with a focus on apps.
    Not so. SJ was very opposed to 3rd party apps. It took close to two years for him to finally succumb to pressure and allow 3rd party development. Naturally that change of heart paid off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 11:41 AM
    From my experience most banks have online access through the browser and current OS7 web browsing is excellent and the connection is secure.

Evernote has gone through several upgrades since you left. It's currently very good and will surely get better for BB10

Too many non-BB posters keep trolling about app world supposedly being "pathetic". My desktop computer is a mac mini running lion. I can compare. App World is not pathetic
    The browser on OS6 was very frustrating to use with USAA. And I shouldn't have to use the browser. There should have been an app.

I'm not trolling. I'm giving my opinion. And I never said App World was pathetic.

04-06-12 07:56 PM
    I believe the Quality over Quantity argument is invalid. Why? because apps on Android that have a Blackberry equivalent, are better then the Blackberry version. I mean Overall I love my blackberry I wouldn't have came back to it if I didn't but that being said, Blackberry developers do need to work a little better on their Quality. Even something as simple as Facebook has more features on Android then it does on Blackberry.
    04-06-12 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD