Hey Guys!

Before OS 2 release by a day or 2 I made a thread called GoodBye Dingle Dingle when I said no more rooting guys tell Mr.Dingle GoodBye! All kept making fun of me today Dingle Berry team told you GoodBye before you do! They've canceled the project and released the source code as they failed to find a new exploit.

Looks like you guys forget you are with RIM the top secure platform in the world! Feeling sorry for you guys but it's time for saying GoodBye Mr.Rooty Rooty.

When I say something I am always sure of it specialy when its about Security and being with RIM. Thanks RIM for killing DingleBerry! Soon RIM will also kill slide loading that is confirmed by Mr.Alec on his twitter so everyway to piracy will be now dead!
    04-05-12 04:06 AM
    No matter how secure something is, there's always someone out there who can find a way around it. It's just a matter of time.
    04-05-12 05:12 AM
    It was a matter of time. Till Dingle team decided to stop working on it and no one else is giving it any care now.
    04-05-12 05:14 AM
    lol I cant figure out what you wanted to achieve by posting this thread?

Nobody is going to post OMG YOU WERE SO RIGHT, alot of people thought the same thing you did
    04-05-12 08:00 AM
    lol I cant figure out what you wanted to achieve by posting this thread?

Nobody is going to post OMG YOU WERE SO RIGHT, alot of people thought the same thing you did
    Didn't expect anything but annoying Dingle lovers maybe
    04-05-12 08:11 AM
    It is very likely, just because...... NOBODY CARES any more.
    Yes, RIM kills dingleberry, and itself.
    Should you say, GoodBye RIM?
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-05-12 09:15 AM
    does RIM kill its self by killing rooting? i think not. i may be wrong here, but I think the dingle team didnt have any misconceptions on how RIM was going to deal with this. Anyone who assumed rooting was going to be here to stay was sadly blind to the kind of company RIM is. I miss rooting, but it doesnt impact my life to the extent of jumping ship because its gone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 09:32 AM
    The funny part is it is still possible to root 7971, just not in any way viable for release.
    Also there are pretty severe exploits for things not related to rooting (paid apps directly from RIM anyone?).

RIM patching root for consumers is just a nail in their coffin. It didn't hurt anyone. Especially not enterprise or government due to it requiring dev mode.
    It was even a boon for consumer PR. Everything is silent since.
    If it was bad for enterprise PR, they could have patched it and made a tool available for it that voids your warranty.

I think why people were making fun of you is that your stance on the issue is anti-consumer and anti-RIM while your sentiment is pro-RIM.
    At the time of your post, I had completed Dingleberry 4.0. It relied on downgrading which RIM has now removed. I knew that removing downgrading was the only way to fix root and had seen signs of it coming (older firmware removed).
    Last edited by xsacha; 04-05-12 at 09:56 AM.
    balding1, ayekon, KermEd and 3 others like this.
    04-05-12 09:40 AM
    It's Anti RiM I have a proof that large developers refused to develop for PB due to the rooting and Slide loading that's why both getting closed in OS 2.1!
    sagec likes this.
    04-05-12 09:44 AM
    RIM patched the rooting because Government and DoD were throwing a fit. It also allows BB10 devices to be looked at by government going forward.
    Magnesus and DAnklaud like this.
    04-05-12 09:47 AM
    Always hope.

Chris Wade ‏ @cmwdotme

Close

I haven't given up on dingleberry (xsasha posted something but he doesn't speak for me) I just haven't had time to do any work on it lately
    9:57 AM - 5 Apr 12 via web � Details

Retweet
    Favorite
    https://twitter.com/#!/cmwdotme
    04-05-12 09:47 AM
    Always hope.

Chris Wade ‏ @cmwdotme

Close

I haven't given up on dingleberry (xsasha posted something but he doesn't speak for me) I just haven't had time to do any work on it lately
    9:57 AM - 5 Apr 12 via web � Details

Retweet
    Favorite
    https://twitter.com/#!/cmwdotme
    Let's see what Chris is going to do, OS 2.1 is coming on the way with even more security, and no slide loading.
    04-05-12 09:49 AM
    Let's see what Chris is going to do, OS 2.1 is coming on the way with even more security, and no slide loading.
    yes, the all-knowing, all-powerful Oz
    I'm out of here
    04-05-12 09:53 AM
    It's Anti RiM I have a proof that large developers refused to develop for PB due to the rooting and Slide loading that's why both getting closed in OS 2.1!
    Name me a tablet or smartphone platform that doesn't have piracy and side-loading . They all do and quite rampant.

This is not a deterrent for Playbook development and is completely unrelated to rooting.
    balding1 and Magnesus like this.
    04-05-12 09:53 AM
    I strongly doubt there's any truth in that statement seeing how the most successful platform out there (Apple) has an entire black market app store dedicated to this
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-05-12 10:50 AM
    I strongly doubt there's any truth in that statement seeing how the most successful platform out there (Apple) has an entire black market app store dedicated to this
    Android has one (or several, in fact) too, not just iOS.
    04-05-12 12:04 PM
    Be careful, you're going to damage your shoulder with all of this patting yourself on the back...

You should be thanking the rooting community for pushing RIM to bring the PB's security up to RIM standards.
    KermEd likes this.
    04-05-12 12:15 PM
    The rooting community is a relatively small percentage of total users. While there may be high demand within those circles, the vast majority of people could not care less about it, and there are a number of groups (government mostly) that advocate strongly against it.

In order for RIM to push this device they need to make it far more polished (same with BB10), that will bring people to it, not the fact it could be rooted.
    04-05-12 12:36 PM
    RIM would be desperate to have a black market for PB if they can have the same market share as iOS or android.
    But they don't.
    It's not because piracy.
    I want to root because I want kindle and some of my purchased android apps on PB.

The point is, if you had the market share, you can play like apple closing the door and dictate.
    Or, you have to open your door like other tablets.
    At consumer level, you have to trade off you ideal business model to something.
    Otherwise, you can keep bluffing your security and play with gov/corp market, not the consumer market.
    04-05-12 12:47 PM
    I want to root because I want kindle and some of my purchased android apps on PB.
    You don't need root to sideload Android apps. Maybe you want Market, but you could always just root your Android device and pull the APKs off it (temp root would be all you need) and convert them.
    04-05-12 01:37 PM
    side loading does not require root.

The point is, if you had the market share, you can play like apple closing the door and dictate.
    Apple is not closed door, as many have posted there is already black market for iOS.

At consumer level, you have to trade off you ideal business model to something.
    Otherwise, you can keep bluffing your security and play with gov/corp market, not the consumer market.
    Why? You can't have a secure device that consumers can enjoy? If consumers are not trying to root then why do they care if it is easy or difficult to root. The biggest trade off for security is always ease of use in consumer devices. As long as the device can be made secure but easy to understand and use that is the ideal device.
    Last edited by z_scorpio_z; 04-05-12 at 01:41 PM.
    04-05-12 01:37 PM
    Root access doesn't have much to do with security of a device. Servers that provide you the world wide web are secure and they have root access.
    04-05-12 01:46 PM
    Apple is not closed door, as many have posted there is already black market for iOS.
    Apple is trying to close the door.
    Without jailbreaking, you can't change almost any default behaviors.
    After jailbreaking, you have a lot to play with, of coz it also open the door for black market.
    Why? You can't have a secure device that consumers can enjoy? If consumers are not trying to root then why do they care if it is easy or difficult to root. The biggest trade off for security is always ease of use in consumer devices. As long as the device can be made secure but easy to understand and use that is the ideal device.
    In order to make a device secure, you have to limit the user's capability of changing settings.
    It is exactly what apple does on their iDevice.
    But I want more freedom than that.
    I have to agree I am geeky somehow.
    But I feel so bad when people use iphone just for text and call,
    when people use a $2000 dslr just point and shoot.
    And I just realized I might be wrong about the average consumer after whining so much.
    04-05-12 03:58 PM
    Once they remove side loading i will smash my playbook with a hammer
    Tules and Magnesus like this.
    04-05-12 09:05 PM
    Haters gonna hate!
    04-05-12 10:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD