I know this is not the first time that this issue have been brought up here.

Indoors, outdoors, with case, without case, My playbook's GPS could not detect/indicate the location im in. Tried all sorts of methods like google map, bingo, compass app, etc etc.....

So my question is:

1. GPS issue: Hardware or Software problem?
    2. Should I send it back and claim warranty?
    Last edited by royeight; 04-04-12 at 03:13 AM.
    yanicmb likes this.
    04-04-12 03:10 AM
    Software as I found out, i think it has something to do with the api file
    royeight likes this.
    04-04-12 03:34 AM
    Have the same problem. Just seems to have cropped up in the last week or so. Was fine before that.

Have tried a hard reset and no joy.
    royeight likes this.
    04-04-12 03:34 AM
    Software as I found out, i think it has something to do with the api file
    Have the same problem. Just seems to have cropped up in the last week or so. Was fine before that.

Have tried a hard reset and no joy.
    Thanks for replying, I really need to find out weather is it hardware of software problem cause if its hardware then I will send it back to claim my warranty.
    04-04-12 03:38 AM
    theres a program i use that seems to force the gps on by continuously searching for a signal(the program is shaped like a thumb tack, called were am i)
    04-04-12 03:38 AM
    Same thing with the mine it never ever works, no matter what software I use it never picks up, what a waste
    04-04-12 09:55 AM
    Where are you all located? Bing finds me quite fast.
    04-04-12 10:00 AM
    I'm located in Jamaica, it has only worked once or twice for me
    04-04-12 10:03 AM
    Works for me in certain places. I'm in the Philippines.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-04-12 10:16 AM
    I know this is not the first time that this issue have been brought up here.

Indoors, outdoors, with case, without case, My playbook's GPS could not detect/indicate the location im in. Tried all sorts of methods like google map, bingo, compass app, etc etc.....

So my question is:

1. GPS issue: Hardware or Software problem?
    2. Should I send it back and claim warranty?
    I have issues with that sideloaded Google app. Navigation works for a minute or so then cuts out. After that I force power down to get GPS working again.
    I would force the power down by holding the power button until it shuts off. Power on and open only the free compass app in app world and try it outside(clear view of the sky). Just leave it for 15 minutes or so. If it doesn't work after that then call RIM.
    It may seem excessive but a good way to determine if it's a hardware issue or an app/OS causing problems.
    04-04-12 10:38 AM
    It works best when being outside while still being connected to the internet. If you're using the GPS for the first time, it will probably still take some minutes.
    You can also try my free app GPSInfo from the store.
    04-04-12 11:12 AM
    It works best when being outside while still being connected to the internet. If you're using the GPS for the first time, it will probably still take some minutes.
    You can also try my free app GPSInfo from the store.
    This is the first I have heard that the PB supports agps.
    The GPS info app did find me in the middle of my 1st floor living room in a stone and stucco house. The best I have seen so far. Most times I would have to near a window.
    04-04-12 11:53 AM
    Someone mentioned problems last week and as someone who had never really had any issues, I tried firing up the gps on my OS2 (and android installed apps). No location. 20 minutes later no location. I tried my favorite test app - Compass. NO gps. What's Up - same, bing, NO GPS. Decided not to get into the negatives so did not reply.

Saw this thread and figured time to see. NO gps in compass or what's up. Reboot. Still no gps. I decided to UNinstall two Android gps programs, GoogleLatitude and locus. Reboot.

GPS- YES.

My comments. I have none. I don't know what, why or who but I know WHERE - HERE with a gps reading in Compass and What's Up.
    04-04-12 12:27 PM
    This is the first I have heard that the PB supports agps.
    The GPS info app did find me in the middle of my 1st floor living room in a stone and stucco house. The best I have seen so far. Most times I would have to near a window.
    I do wish someone with definitive info would post on whether the pb can use WIFI to help with gps acquisition. Can only SOME apps (maybe bing or poynt) use wifi or can NONE of them use wifi.

Obviously, the pb does not have a cellular radio so it is NOT using cell towers.

It has a gps chip (even if some doubt it!) so it does have that. But can it actually use wifi to locate where it is?
    04-04-12 12:30 PM
    From what I understand the lack of GPS functionality is due to software (something I read in another post). I have my playbook mounted in my car and the gps somewhat works with bing maps. It isn't very accurate and is only useful on the highway. It also takes a long time to find my location. The GPS Logger app on my style works 10x better than my playbook. I would like to see my playbook work just as good.

I imagine the gps may work better when they come out with the new playbooks that have their own data plan.
    rsp44 likes this.
    04-04-12 12:44 PM
    From what I understand the lack of GPS functionality is due to software (something I read in another post). I have my playbook mounted in my car and the gps somewhat works with bing maps. It isn't very accurate and is only useful on the highway. It also takes a long time to find my location. The GPS Logger app on my style works 10x better than my playbook. I would like to see my playbook work just as good.

I imagine the gps may work better when they come out with the new playbooks that have their own data plan.
    Have you tried any other apps? I haven't had much luck with bing. Magellan works well for me.
    04-04-12 12:58 PM
    I do wish someone with definitive info would post on whether the pb can use WIFI to help with gps acquisition. Can only SOME apps (maybe bing or poynt) use wifi or can NONE of them use wifi.

Obviously, the pb does not have a cellular radio so it is NOT using cell towers.

It has a gps chip (even if some doubt it!) so it does have that. But can it actually use wifi to locate where it is?
    Seems like it should be possible if the app could pull the information from wifi. The developer of gps info says it's supported. Hopefully they will comment.
    04-04-12 01:03 PM
    Has anyone tried Mapdroyd? It allows the free downloading of maps for the whole world; you can select only the regional downloads you want.
    04-04-12 01:51 PM
    Thanks for all the inputs guys, maybe i should go outdoors again to test my GPS and stay a little bit longer than before and see weather it works or not.
    04-05-12 02:33 AM
    Thanks for all the inputs guys, maybe i should go outdoors again to test my GPS and stay a little bit longer than before and see weather it works or not.
    That has generally been the advice, especially if the gps has not been used for a longer while, moved a considerable distance since its last use or you have never used it. It needs to slowly download data from the various satellites and gps signals are quite weak compared to other types of radio signals.

The Free Compass has been a pretty good test base although it really does not provide more than lat/long readings.
    royeight likes this.
    04-05-12 09:13 AM
    Update!!!

Tried again outdoors using gps test app and it finally detect signals!!! No need WiFi, use bridge will do. I stand and waited for about 15 mins outdoor and it finally show me the gps signals!
    04-05-12 01:58 PM
    Good news.
    It should work without bridge as well. I use the magellan app about once a week and it gets a lock usually in under a minute. If you don't use it for a few weeks you may need to do the same routine again. I haven't gone long enough without using GPS to know for sure.
    royeight likes this.
    04-05-12 02:06 PM
    I almost gave up and thought it was hardware problem and nearly sent it back to RIM and have my warranty claimed.

But I was wondering, if that's the case, meaning i can't use any apps that involves location detecting in buildings, offices, home?
    04-05-12 02:12 PM
    I can use my pb gps in the 2nd floor of my home. But the signals are really considered very weak and do not penetrate walls or roofs. They can even be blocked by some of those metallic reflecting windows in trains and windshields. Wet trees have been known to block signals.

The thing is, if you used the gps to get to a downtown garage and a few hours later you want to use it again, it will generally find signals when you leave the garage (since it is fresh) but, yes, tall buildings (Manhattan) can interfere as the signals bounce off the walls of that canyon or the satellites are hidden by the buildings. But that is not just the pb, it is any gps (my good hiking garmin) that does not also use cell towers (cell phones use cell towers for assisted gps).
    04-05-12 03:19 PM
    The reason it takes so long for the Playbook to find your location is because it does not have a 3G/4G radio. It's the same reason that Wifi-only models of the iPad have never supported GPS.

This is not a problem with the Playbook's GPS antenna or the location APIs, it is a limitation of GPS technology.

In order to calculate your position, the Playbook needs to acquire satellite almanac and ephemeris data. Most cellphone providers use a technique called aGPS (assisted GPS), which sends this stuff to your phone (or radio-enabled tablet) over their data network, which dramatically reduces the amount of time required to find the satellites. Since the Playbook currently only supports wifi, this data has to be downloaded directly from the satellites themselves, a process which takes up to 12.5 minutes per satellite. (a.k.a. a long damn time)

Unless your unit is defective, the Playbook WILL eventually find your location, but you have to be outside with a clear view of the sky, and you will have to wait for a long time, especially if you haven't used the GPS functionality in a while.

So, the problem will not be fixed until the 4G Playbook is released.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
    Last edited by Dekerta; 04-05-12 at 06:17 PM.
    royeight likes this.
    04-05-12 06:11 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD