This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my other threads on why I think Blackberry is going to survive and actually thrive when BB10 comes out. The celebrities, athletes and other people who make money and have influence on society still use Blackberry. All RIM has to do is partner with some of them and watch BB10 explode if its executed properly.
    04-03-12 12:28 PM
    Yh we are on the right track more celebrities have to buy BB then their followers will want bb's

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Crackberry Forum App
    Last edited by DeonADB; 04-03-12 at 01:44 PM.
    04-03-12 01:36 PM
    OP, I think you're seriously underestimating just how fickle and flaky celebs can be. To base any kind of marketing scheme, even if only in part, on them...that is courting disaster.

If BB10 is what it needs to be, they will come to RIM, not the other way around.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    04-03-12 01:49 PM
    This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my other threads on why I think Blackberry is going to survive and actually thrive when BB10 comes out. The celebrities, athletes and other people who make money and have influence on society still use Blackberry. All RIM has to do is partner with some of them and watch BB10 explode if its executed properly.
    This begs the question: if it is as simple as you claim, why haven't they done it already?
    04-03-12 01:55 PM
    Honestly, that phone is just too damn ugly to set any trends unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 02:02 PM
    OP, I think you're seriously underestimating just how fickle and flaky celebs can be. To base any kind of marketing scheme, even if only in part, on them...that is courting disaster.
    I think you are underestimating how shallow and lame the general public is. Will people buy things cause a celeb does? yes. Does it matter if that celeb is a piece of trash...nope. Welcome to modern society.
    mithrazor likes this.
    04-03-12 02:05 PM
    Honestly, that phone is just too damn ugly to set any trends unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    Standing out with a fancy device isn't about having mass appeal looks....
    04-03-12 02:12 PM
    Forget about falling market share and tanking stock prices. Kanye West's endorsement of anything is the beginning of the end. I might even have to switch brands now just because.
    southlander and madman0141 like this.
    04-03-12 02:16 PM
    Its funny this came up because I was going to actually ask this in a thread. I have been seeing more and more of celebs choosing BB as their phone of choice and really interested in the reason why? For example is BBM how celebrities communicate with one another. Or maybe they want to be different from norm, or apps keep them distracted from their craft. This may sound like a dumb ? but as I see more celebrities using BB as their cell phone choice I know their has to be a reason why. I may just have too much free time on my hands and am over thinking this. On another note would love to pick up one of those phones
    04-03-12 02:17 PM
    Sorry OP, was in Sean's 'Oval Office' less than a month ago. On his desk, over the embarrassing large stacks of money (still laughing with friend about one) was a Vertu phone.

Vertu - luxury mobile & cell phones from Vertu

I, personally, wouldn't read that much into it. These things are trinkets. You should see some of the items in a 'goodie bag' at an event.

I doubt if either of them will ever use that phone.

They'd more likely give them to a family member or someone else they see everyday.
    04-03-12 02:18 PM
    Its funny this came up because I was going to actually ask this in a thread. I have been seeing more and more of celebs choosing BB as their phone of choice and really interested in the reason why? For example is BBM how celebrities communicate with one another.
    Pretty sure it's because of BBM communication...
    04-03-12 02:24 PM
    This begs the question: if it is as simple as you claim, why haven't they done it already?
    I think almost everyone agrees that RIM hasn't done a lot of marketing stuff that would make sense.

I understand that celebrities can be fickle but at the same time they will hawk anything if you pay them enough money. I actually don't think they will need to do this though. To me it has always be a positive sign for RIM's future that the celebrities/athletes/rich people continue to stick with Blackberry.
    04-03-12 02:38 PM
    It's an overpriced expensive "bling" phone. That's probably the only reason it was given as a gift, especially by a celebrity. Weather BB is going to survive? Well the jury is till out on that and it has nothing to do with Kanye West.
    04-03-12 02:46 PM
    I'm happy for this thread... and i'ma let you finish... but Beyonce got one of the Best Blackberries of all time...
    04-03-12 02:48 PM
    But still i need more smooth experience, the wait clock is still annoying me crazy every day now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 02:58 PM
    I'm happy for this thread... and i'ma let you finish... but Beyonce got one of the Best Blackberries of all time...
    hahaha....awesome.
    04-03-12 03:05 PM
    OMG!! Imma have to get one now! If it's good enough for him, it will be perfect for me! Imma have to be like the celebs!
    04-03-12 03:09 PM
    I think you are underestimating how shallow and lame the general public is. Will people buy things cause a celeb does? yes. Does it matter if that celeb is a piece of trash...nope. Welcome to modern society.
    I absolutely agree on the shallowness.

Will those whimsical purchases tally up to the kind of numbers needed to bring RIM back to the forefront? No. Celeb endorsement as a marketing tool is far too random for scale involved here; it's better suited to focusing on the consumer market. There's an entire business contingent who aren't concerned with celebs, they want performance to aid their profitability. Ignoring one group for the other is a bad idea, especially when your bread and butter has been the corporate people from the beginning.
    04-03-12 03:13 PM
    I think almost everyone agrees that RIM hasn't done a lot of marketing stuff that would make sense..
    Yes, many do agree with this. But again, it begs the question: if the problem is so obvious and as easy to solve (or at least mitigate) as you suggest, why hasn't RIM done it already?
    04-03-12 03:24 PM
    I wonder if this craziness happened on Titanic right before it sunk?

Grasping at tiny little threads.
    04-03-12 03:42 PM
    I love BlackBerry, but I saw something recently that made me come to a stark realization.

I was at an event where there were some celebrities. Mostly older actors. Rutger Hauer, Linda Blair, etc. I was not surprised to see all the other event goers had iPhones. And I do mean *all* the other event goers. I only saw one other BlackBerry the entire time. A cab driver we rode with had a 9900. This is out of many hundreds of phones I saw. I did spot a few Androids here and there. Not many though.

Then what blew me away was that all the celebrities, and I do mean *all* of them had iPhones as well. We were there for several days and saw them at their tables doing autograph signings many many times. So almost all of them at some point would pull out a phone to check emails/messages or take a photo with a fan. Every time -- bam - iPhone.

It was disheartening for me as this is supposed to be one of RIM's strongholds; Hollywood.

So while there are some celebs that still love BlackBerry, I think a lot of them have followed the popular trend.
    04-03-12 03:44 PM
    Yes, many do agree with this. But again, it begs the question: if the problem is so obvious and as easy to solve (or at least mitigate) as you suggest, why hasn't RIM done it already?
    Because it is extremely difficult to change perceptions about tech brands through marketing alone. Waste of money. RIM knows this.
    04-03-12 03:49 PM
    Sorry OP, was in Sean's 'Oval Office' less than a month ago. On his desk, over the embarrassing large stacks of money (still laughing with friend about one) was a Vertu phone.

I, personally, wouldn't read that much into it. These things are trinkets. You should see some of the items in a 'goodie bag' at an event.

They'd more likely give them to a family member or someone else they see everyday.
    Vertu is a good comparison to the P'9981, actually; designer goods are selling fairly well these days. Trouble with Vertu is that it's considerably more expensive than even the P'9981. They're nice phones, in their own way, and Nokia offers a lot of special services that are exclusive to the phones, but you pay a LOT.

The P'9981 gets BB into, say, the strata below the Vertu and RIM doesn't have to engage in a lot of value-add to do it.
    04-03-12 04:22 PM

" We don't believe you, you need more people. "
    raino likes this.
    04-03-12 04:39 PM
    Quite a lot of Celebrities have given BlackBerry's a good name. I don't understand why RIM doesn't take advantage of this. Back in '09, Drake (Aubrey Graham) specifically said on his documentary (at the time of his debut album) that he loves his BlackBerry and he only ever writes his lyrics on them and if he doesn't have one on him, he borrows one and etc.

I think it was Katy Perry a few months ago who went from BB to iPhone and then back to BB. <<< That could potentially be an advert on it's own.

Even this Kanye story. Including all the "Celebrity BlackBerry sightings" CB posts, it's evident Celebrities could play a key role in RIM's marketing for the BlackBerry phones.

Swizz Beats, producer/artist also the former CEO of Megaupload, created an advert for MU soley consisting of artists saying why they love MegaUpload. If that isn't good advertisment..
    04-03-12 04:47 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD