I'm trying to use a 9900 without a data plan on mts mobility (Canada) and all incoming calls are going directly to voicemail, I know it's possible on a blackberry 9800 torch, have also seen it work on a different 9900, phone works perfect with a sim that has a data plan on it? Any solution to why it would differ from one phone to the next.
    03-30-12 10:49 PM
    I'm not sure what you're trying to ask here...

The 9900 can definitely run on MTS Mobility's frequency, so it will work for sure. You can sure use a Blackberry without having an actual data plan (just remember to turn data off or something in Options). Is the phone unlocked?
    03-30-12 10:53 PM
    I don't think your issue has to do with not having a BIS data plan, but may be caused by issues at MTS. Resend the service books or call them to check what's going on.
    -------
    Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 using webkit
    web
    03-30-12 11:07 PM
    If all phone calls are going to voicemail you more than likely have a divert set up on your account. Give your carrier a call and get them to ensure any diverts are cancelled.
    03-31-12 12:16 AM
    Your voice calls have nothing to do with BIS I believe, why would that even matter?
    Talk to your ISP
    03-31-12 03:56 AM
    I don't know if I stated my problem clear enough so I'll try again, I hav a mts sim card that is activated as a talk and text plan, when I put it in the 9900 and try to receive incoming calls, it will send all calls to voicemail, now when I take the same sim card and put it in a 9800 torch it will work perfectly,(what is the difference there), I also have a sim card with a data plan on it, when I put that sim into 9900 it works fine and recieved all calls,

On the other hand I have seen 9900 bolds work perfect with sim cards that don't have data plans, and it doesn't seem like a carrier issue, if it would be then my sim with no data wouldn't work with a 9800 torch,
    03-31-12 08:09 AM
    It could be a SIM card issue. Can you get another SIM and see if that is the problem?

When you put a new SIM into an OS7 device it should ask you to log into the BBID otherwise it will wipe the phone. How are you logging in without a data plan, wifi? That may be part of your problem. The newer OS versions are making it harder to use a BlackBerry without a data plan.

Also, is the working SIM with data also on MTS? Is the 9900 supported on their system? As mentioned by MSS-Can, you may need the MTS service books if the phone was not an MTS phone. To get them sent, you will need to have an MTS SIM in the phone with BIS data.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-31-12 at 09:10 AM.
    jakehofer likes this.
    03-31-12 08:57 AM
    The phone does not ask for a BB ID when i enter a sim card, both sim cards are with mts, and the phone is an original rogers phone but it is unlocked, the funny part is that the sim card with a data plan on it is out of a iphone on mts so it is not even setup for a blackberry but works perfect for voice calls, but it will not allow me to access the browser, (which i am not worried about), and it cant be a sim problem because i got a new sim now with a talk and text plan and it does the same thing,

I suppose there is no way to downgrade the phone to os 6 to see if maybe os 7 is blocking this.
    03-31-12 12:21 PM
    Well, I hope you get it sorted. Options are good, and I think it's great that a BlackBerry can be used without a data plan, albeit in a limited fashion. I just hope all of us aren't forced to use them that way soon.
    03-31-12 12:28 PM
    Why? Kind of a dumb idea just saying...
    03-31-12 12:32 PM
    I couldnt imagine having my BB without a data plan. Would kinda take away the point. For me, anyway.
    03-31-12 12:32 PM
    Well, I would never want to be without BIS either, but if RIM is scrapped the way some are predicting, then I suppose we might end up sans the appropriate data plan.
    03-31-12 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD