View Poll Results: Should RIM rename the company to BlackBerry - period?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIM should change the company name to BlackBerry

18 38.30%
  • RIM should keep the BlackBerry name as a product line

28 59.57%
  • They should come up with a new name entirely...

1 2.13%
    Hey,..

Please forgive Me if this thread topic was already posted (I searched the forums...)

Anyways..

RE: NOW IS THE TIME TO RENAME THE COMPANY FROM RIM TO BLACKBERRY PERIOD

Shows a change in direction / thinking...

Phoenix rising from the ashes of the nasty fires...
    03-30-12 02:20 PM
    No. Keep Blackberry as a Brand. There is so much more to RIM than only Blackberry. Although BBerry is a huge part today, I personally see a much bigger and brighter picture for RIM down the line.

(Mr. Heins, if you are reading this, I'd love to work for RIM!)
    03-30-12 02:36 PM
    Change it to BlackBerry. All our devices say BlackBerry. That's what most consumers know. Not RIM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-30-12 02:43 PM
    As Bribert said, there's more to RIM then just BlackBerry. And I hope they continue to grow their non BlackBerry business.
    03-30-12 02:48 PM
    Man, a lot of RIM haters came out today! Out of nowhere!
    kbz1960 and Yoox_II like this.
    03-30-12 02:52 PM
    Or call it .......... Oh who cares , they're obsolete now.
    They ain't dead yet... dying / burning - but not dead.

RE: Name

From a Marketing standpoint renaming the company to BlackBerry makes more sense - it's a marketable name. Research In Motion isn't.

The only other thing RIM has going for them (that I'm aware of) is QNX - Which is name QNX.
    03-30-12 02:53 PM
    They're down, but they're not out. It's better than Apple was back before Steve Jobs returned to save them. As for the comment, I'd say have a separate phone/tablet division and call that BlackBerry. Since our phones say "BlackBerry" and not "RIM" on the front, I know a lot of people think BlackBerry is the company name (like Apple or Samsung)
    03-30-12 03:02 PM
    Yeah. Kevin discussed this in a blog post not too long ago.
    It's time to change the name of the company from Research In Motion to BlackBerry. Period. New CEO. Let's finally do what should have been done years ago and make the BlackBerry brand one and the same with the corporation and people that deliver the product.
    http://crackberry.com/its-time-chang...ion-blackberry

Very interesting idea.
    Chrisy and Spencerdl like this.
    03-30-12 03:33 PM
    Co-CEO BA-SILLY retiring was the event needed for a REALLY justifiable reason for name change.

It's Marketing = BASIC MARKETING (which RIM has failed to grasp for at least 3yrs now)
    03-30-12 04:01 PM
    I do not think Research in Motion needs a name change. Consumers already are familiar with the name BlackBerry. Only investors care about the name "Research in Motion", which is actually RIMM on the NASDAQ.

It is BlackBerry that has a poor brand image among US consumers at the current time, not Research in Motion. Rather than rename the company, what is needed is to change the perception of BlackBerry devices, so the buying public in the US has a positive, not a negative perception.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-30-12 09:04 PM
    It's time for a change in more ways then one and a name change from RIM to BlackBerry is a GOOD start. If RIM is so much more than BlackBerry, let RIM handle the "more" part and let BlackBerry be strictly a device (phones & tablets) company.....period. Several companies have split in half in the past with great success. It's called....divide and concur
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-30-12 09:22 PM
    Nah, BlackBerry is a brand. Who's to say that they won't have other products some day? I'm just say'n.
    03-30-12 09:35 PM
    I don't think they should change the company's name. However, when the PB and BB share the same OS, I hope they name them similarly. Kind of like how Apple names most of its iOS devices iSometjing (the exception being the non touch iPods, but that is a legacy thing. And the iPod brand is strong enough for people to not get confused).
    03-31-12 01:02 AM
    Man, a lot of RIM haters came out today! Out of nowhere!
    Today? It's been getting worse for a while now. Some just like to show up be snotty about stuff dump on rim and cry unfair when called on it. I gave travel stop coming to the news / rumor and general forum for a few weeks again. People are so much more helpful in the other forums here.

Oh and I need to get some sleep too. I'm obviously cranky lol
    03-31-12 03:33 AM
    Today? It's been getting worse for a while now. Some just like to show up be snotty about stuff dump on rim and cry unfair when called on it. I gave travel stop coming to the news / rumor and general forum for a few weeks again. People are so much more helpful in the other forums here.

Oh and I need to get some sleep too. I'm obviously cranky lol

Actually, I'm NOT a RIM hater - I was before (during the Storm era), that's why I never bought one. The SCORCH 9860 is my 1st BB, and I'm very impressed, although I realize that it is meant more for professionals versus public leisure.

I actively read RIM news (cause that's all Canadian papers are pushing negatively)

I'm pro RIM not just because it's a Canadian company, but because it's a good product, and we always need more competition to achieve innovation, and lower prices)

I'm just pointing out some very basic marketing concepts that RIM hasn't figured out yet.

Over the last couple months I've made a fair amount of posts saying basically the same thing - RIM needs to PLAY like Apple, to beat Apple.
    03-31-12 08:05 AM
    Actually, I'm NOT a RIM hater - I was before (during the Storm era), that's why I never bought one. The SCORCH 9860 is my 1st BB, and I'm very impressed, although I realize that it is meant more for professionals versus public leisure.

I actively read RIM news (cause that's all Canadian papers are pushing negatively)

I'm pro RIM not just because it's a Canadian company, but because it's a good product, and we always need more competition to achieve innovation, and lower prices)

I'm just pointing out some very basic marketing concepts that RIM hasn't figured out yet.

Over the last couple months I've made a fair amount of posts saying basically the same thing - RIM needs to PLAY like Apple, to beat Apple.
    My apologies for not being more clear. My post was in no way directed towards you. Rather it was directed towards one of the replies to your post.
    03-31-12 08:15 AM
    I don't think they should change the company's name. However, when the PB and BB share the same OS, I hope they name them similarly. Kind of like how Apple names most of its iOS devices iSometjing (the exception being the non touch iPods, but that is a legacy thing. And the iPod brand is strong enough for people to not get confused).

When the initial website domain was registered for the PlayBook, it was reserved as BlackPad, which may have been a better name, though the name sounds too aggressive, which is one of the reasons "Play" was selected - and they wanted people to know; you can play with this product, not only work.

In terms of naming products, RIM hasn't done a good job. The model number should not be associated with the device. It's not needed extra information. Bold is much more simply and BOLD.

The name BlackBerry is very good, which is why I think the company name can be switched, and then they could come up with a better name than BB10 as Apple does with "i".
    BBX kicked A$$ - But they should have researched the name to see if it exists - stupid error.

The whole Storm to Torch is wrong, something like Scorch (a different descriptive word) would have been wayyy more beneficial in terms of marketing for sales.
    03-31-12 08:16 AM
    My apologies for not being more clear. My post was in no way directed towards you. Rather it was directed towards one of the replies to your post.

No Biggie - We're cool!
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 08:16 AM
    Change it to BlackBerry. All our devices say BlackBerry. That's what most consumers know. Not RIM.
    My thoughts exactly. I like the name BlackBerry better than RIM
    03-31-12 10:03 AM
    Like I said in few other posts on CB I think that RIM should start a new brand that is costumer/communication oriented and keep BlackBerry with an image of a enterprise/communication device. New brand to be and all-touch devices and 16:9 screens, higher prices and have a brand new image and BlackBerry to be keyboard devices with 3:4 screen and lower price point but both running BB10 OS. Business model of Toyota/Lexus.
    03-31-12 10:18 AM
    Research in Slow Motion would be the most appropriate name, considering how things have gone over the years. But I honestly forecast a much brighter future for RIM and BlackBerry with the BB10 devices (although I do think BB10 is a silly name, and BBX was perfect) - I think changing the entire company name to BlackBerry would be a risk if BB10 does fail though.
    03-31-12 10:21 AM
    Yea its a good idea.

My friend is so peeved when he has to make a 5 minute explanation about what he does for work and where does he work and for which company.

It saves time

Other than that, its ethical because blackberry is rims only product.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    03-31-12 11:08 AM
    When the initial website domain was registered for the PlayBook, it was reserved as BlackPad, which may have been a better name, though the name sounds too aggressive, which is one of the reasons "Play" was selected - and they wanted people to know; you can play with this product, not only work.

In terms of naming products, RIM hasn't done a good job. The model number should not be associated with the device. It's not needed extra information. Bold is much more simply and BOLD.

The name BlackBerry is very good, which is why I think the company name can be switched, and then they could come up with a better name than BB10 as Apple does with "i".
    BBX kicked A$$ - But they should have researched the name to see if it exists - stupid error.

The whole Storm to Torch is wrong, something like Scorch (a different descriptive word) would have been wayyy more beneficial in terms of marketing for sales.
    I think the name "Playbook" was misunderstood, since it is associated with American and Canadian football. The coach uses a playbook as his tool to manage the game. Folks who are unfamiliar with that sport terminology would not understand the name.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-31-12 01:49 PM
    It's not as if the public perception is going to change, so imo, it's a useless endevour. Rather than shelling out money for something like a name change, they'd be better of putting money into hiring some marketing firms that actually could make a difference.
    03-31-12 02:06 PM
    I think the name "Playbook" was misunderstood, since it is associated with American and Canadian football. The coach uses a playbook as his tool to manage the game. Folks who are unfamiliar with that sport terminology would not understand the name.
    Very true!
    03-31-12 02:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD