Struggling BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. said Thursday that it will cede most consumer markets after failing to compete with flashier touch-screen phones such as Apple's iPhone and models that run Google's Android software.

Instead, RIM said it will return to its roots and focus on business customers, many of whom prefer BlackBerrys for their security. RIM has had limited success trying to enter consumer markets in recent years, and RIM CEO Thorsten Heins said a turnaround required "substantial change."

"We plan to refocus on the enterprise business and capitalize on our leading position in this segment," Heins said. "We believe that BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling and all things to all people. Therefore, we plan to build on our strength."

Also Thursday, RIM said former co-CEO Jim Balsillie has resigned from its board. David Yach, chief technology officer for software, and Jim Rowan, chief operating officer for global operations, also are leaving in a management shakeup.
    Source - BlackBerry maker to cede most consumer markets - BusinessWeek

It does not look good for the future of consumer devices...if any will even be made...
    03-29-12 11:26 PM
    This is the same AP story (Gillies) being discussed in at least two other threads. The author misunderstood Heins. I'm sure this will all be cleared up tomorrow.
    03-29-12 11:32 PM
    Looks like BB has put the last nail in the coffin.. Still want to know whats gonna happen with the OS 10 devices that are coming out and new playbook. That kind of contradicts this.
    03-29-12 11:34 PM
    See what app_Developer said above^^^ Wow. This is a media disaster. Somebody needs to clear this up QUICKLY.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-29-12 11:43 PM
    If they plan to "focus" enterprise only...the first BB10 device wouldn't be an all-touch.
    03-29-12 11:45 PM
    Wow looks like we all need to start looking for a back up plans and fast!
    03-29-12 11:46 PM
    See what app_Developer said above^^^ Wow. This is a media disaster. Somebody needs to clear this up QUICKLY.
    Both AP and RIM need to fix this before the market opens in 9 hours or the stock will be $10.
    03-29-12 11:47 PM
    I agree that this AP article was misconstrued. I would like to see RIM split into 2 divisions, business and consumer. With the Business division following current path and the consumer division managing partnerships and licenses, including Playbok.
    FSeverino, Cee134 and alan510 like this.
    03-29-12 11:50 PM
    For anyone in doubt, the earnings call audio should be available now, if not soon. Go listen to what Thorstein actually said instead of citing news that are sensationalized by writers. It is always better to get info directly from the source instead of through other people. Humans are bias in nature, no matter how subtle. I am guilty of that too.

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/27/appl...uce-lee-cover/

now this is a good article by Rene on iMore that pretty much sums it up. Just like when an article has Apple in its title it gets more hit no matter the content is true of false, It seems like negative articles on RIM does the same as well.
    03-29-12 11:51 PM
    Both AP and RIM need to fix this before the market opens in 9 hours or the stock will be $10.
    I would definitely purchase one hundred shares of stock if it were to hit $10 per share tomorrow.
    MTL and Cee134 like this.
    03-29-12 11:55 PM
    I can't believe how many articles have been written about RIM "abandoning" the consumer market. Unbelievable. *sigh*
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-29-12 11:57 PM
    Even if it were true, it doesn't change my status nor my device uses. I bought and use my BB phones and PB as tools, not consumer entertainment devices. BlackBerry devices will still continue to serve my needs so nothing will change for me, my company nor similar end users. BB products have always been attractive to many consumers for non-business use and that won't change either. I do hope that the article is erroneous though, especially for those who have found the BB products to serve them well as personal consumer devices.
    03-30-12 12:05 AM
    It's about time RIM executives woke up and realized they were never going to survive in the consumer market. The business market is their forte and the Playbook should do well.

But gone will be porting more Android apps and likely the APP store. Forget Netflix, Skype, Angry Birds. The Playbook has the hardware to flourish in the business world.

The medical field market is a huge potential. So is the government market. Security is a requirement and that's RIM's strength.
    jerryburst and MTL like this.
    03-30-12 12:10 AM
    I would definitely purchase one hundred shares of stock if it were to hit $10 per share tomorrow.
    Yeah, I'd probably hop back in at $10, too, if we see that tomorrow.
    EricB1968 likes this.
    03-30-12 12:15 AM
    As long as RIM makes phones that I like and I can buy... I wll.... The minute they don't I will look elsewhere... I for one make my purchasing discisions on what I like not what I read....
    03-30-12 12:19 AM
    It's about time RIM executives woke up and realized they were never going to survive in the consumer market. The business market is their forte and the Playbook should do well.

But gone will be porting more Android apps and likely the APP store. Forget Netflix, Skype, Angry Birds. The Playbook has the hardware to flourish in the business world.

The medical field market is a huge potential. So is the government market. Security is a requirement and that's RIM's strength.
    Did you not read the responses in this thread or you just dont deem them credible?
    Cee134 and peter9477 like this.
    03-30-12 12:22 AM

They're already establishing a foothold there from the posts on this forum, what I've read and experienced for myself. I posted a while back of a clinic I go to that has implemented PBs for their data, record and patient interaction use. We also have a doctor in my church that shared with me that three weeks ago they started using PBs in their trauma/ER center patterned after a program a hospital back east adopted. They're getting there
    03-30-12 12:29 AM
    rotorwrench, I totally agree.
    ralfyguy and rotorwrench like this.
    03-30-12 12:32 AM
    I would only think that has many subscribers they have on BIS that they will stay in the consumer game. If they leave this sector a good chunk of that revue will be gone. companies dont change out hardware like consumers do.
    djnshores likes this.
    03-30-12 12:57 AM
    i remember when phones were used to call people!
    aall the kids i see now have iphones and what not so they can take stupid pics of themselves or play dumb games.
    i have games on my phone, mostly incase i need to let one of my younger family members play them, or incase i get stuck somewhere for a few hours... but before i had games on my phone i would interact with my cousins myself (i still do, obviously) or read a book/magazine if i was stranded.

these 'necessary' apps and games are a joke. if you NEED a phone then that means you NEED to make calls and contact people. Blackberry phones are far more efficient at that then any other devices (i own an iphone4 but must admit inferiority in the 'phone' category). ANYTHING other then contact services are not 'necessary' in a phone. we have become so spoiled by these companies that we are now ripping apart the company that brought us one of the most innovative devices of the technological age (again, even though i do not own an BB phone no one can argue the point).

So... What will happen to be BB PHONES? They will be the best PHONES and COMMUNICATION devices.

If you want games you buy a gaming device, it really is that simple. it is not a FAILURE for a PHONE to not have angry birds or netflix... can your tv make phone calls? is it a bad tv if it cant? why is a phone bad if it cant be a tv?
    Cee134, ralfyguy and dejanh like this.
    03-30-12 02:33 AM

Uh ? What are the business grade apps on the playbook ? Sheets to go ?

And Skype is not required for business ?

Did you ever noticed the beginning of any development for anything medical ? A dentistry imagery software maybe ? Prescription databases ? Remote surgery assistance ?
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 03-30-12 at 02:39 AM.
    03-30-12 02:36 AM
    Uh ? What are the business grade apps on the playbook ? Sheets to go ?
    do some research... it isnt ALL about apps. if there isONE apo that allows an ENTIRE occupation to conduct business SECURLEY and while being integrated to a computer system that is all that is needed to revolutionize a field. You dont need thousands of apps if the ones you have are top grade.

Would you want your entire medical history on the same device as angry birds, or on a device that is based to hold and store that info as top secret documents?

obviously iOS can improve security (maybe RIM can do that and get some financial help) but RIGHT NOW there are a lot of markets that can be flipped towards RIM just like the major one that was flipped away from it. it makes a lot of sense to 'focus' (not totally abandon and ignore the importance of anything else) on the areas they can jump in and steal rather than split those markets evenly with ONE that all the other companies are 'focusing' on.

Apple is 'focused' on iphone but still does a great job with everything else. RIM can do the same!
    03-30-12 02:48 AM
    RIM is trying to make itself attractive for a buyer. Maybe Samsung, maybe another.

This is why I chuckle to myself every time a fanboy seems excited about BB10 or thinks that RIM is going to fix some bug with a Playbook update. Odds are RIM will be sold before any of that stuff happens. You might see one last PB update, but I'm betting now that they completed OS2 and there are no major problems with it, you won't see anything more for the PB for awhile.

Management at RIM is too busy worrying about keeping their jobs to really focus on incremental updates to what's turned out to be a bad business move and a massive loss for the company (the Playbook). I think they released OS2 to silence the whiners and now they've washed their hands of it.

Just my opinion.
    yanicmb likes this.
    03-30-12 02:54 AM
    Wow, looks like we've found the new talking point. What a joke, can't believe the media is trying to pass this off. You can see all the non-bb users jumping all over this and believing anything the media says.
    03-30-12 02:55 AM
    RIM is trying to make itself attractive for a buyer. Maybe Samsung, maybe another.

This is why I chuckle to myself every time a fanboy seems excited about BB10 or thinks that RIM is going to fix some bug with a Playbook update. Odds are RIM will be sold before any of that stuff happens. You might see one last PB update, but I'm betting now that they completed OS2 and there are no major problems with it, you won't see anything more for the PB for awhile.

Management at RIM is too busy worrying about keeping their jobs to really focus on incremental updates to what's turned out to be a bad business move and a massive loss for the company (the Playbook). I think they released OS2 to silence the whiners and now they've washed their hands of it.

Just my opinion.
    Theres gonna be another PB update! Didn't know that, can't wait!
    03-30-12 03:01 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD