I had the same problem and was banging my head for awhile. Apparently, it's just a version issue. I had DDPB Installer version 1.0.7, which I got about the time Playbook OS Version 2 came out. It worked great for sideloading apps so I thought nothing of the version #. Then when I ran into an issue with an app and couldn't figure out a way to uninstall it completely, I searched for forums and saw other members saying they had an uninstall option in DDPB, but I didn't. So, I went in search of an updated version of DDPB, and sure enough, I now have an uninstall option and it works great! Just go download version 1.0.8 and you're good to go people. Note: I also downloaded version 1.0.9 which was released recently, and it has the uninstall button. However, it didn't automatically show me all the apps I had installed like 1.0.8, so I had to click Add and select all the bar files I have on the PC then it was fine.
    Last edited by mjlott; 03-29-12 at 06:56 AM.
    03-29-12 06:50 AM
    so deleting it from the playbook doesn't uninstall the apps?
    03-29-12 08:13 AM
    so deleting it from the playbook doesn't uninstall the apps?
    If you mean doing a long press and selecting Delete, then no, it doesn't. It removes the icon but doesn't completely uninstall the app. I sideloaded and ran File Expert and went into the Apps section and all the Apps I thought I had uninstalled were still listed. I was even able to launch them.

To further elaborate on the issue I ran into, I accidentally deleted a folder that had about 4 Apps in it and wanted those Apps back. I tried to just sideload them again with DDPB, but the icons still wouldn't show up for me. So, I figured they must still be installed somewhere or somehow, which led me to File Expert. Sure enough, I could see them and run them in File Expert, but I couldn't uninstall them. Once I figured out I needed the right version of DDPB to uninstall them, I was able to reinstall with DDPB and the icons showed up again in the right place and with all default settings.
    03-29-12 08:44 AM
    ah gotcha thank you for that i will get the new version of ddpb now.
    mjlott likes this.
    03-29-12 08:46 AM
    If you mean doing a long press and selecting Delete, then no, it doesn't. It removes the icon but doesn't completely uninstall the app. I sideloaded and ran File Expert and went into the Apps section and all the Apps I thought I had uninstalled were still listed. I was even able to launch them.

To further elaborate on the issue I ran into, I accidentally deleted a folder that had about 4 Apps in it and wanted those Apps back. I tried to just sideload them again with DDPB, but the icons still wouldn't show up for me. So, I figured they must still be installed somewhere or somehow, which led me to File Expert. Sure enough, I could see them and run them in File Expert, but I couldn't uninstall them. Once I figured out I needed the right version of DDPB to uninstall them, I was able to reinstall with DDPB and the icons showed up again in the right place and with all default settings.
    Might you have a link to "File Expert?"
    03-29-12 09:07 AM
    03-29-12 09:21 AM
    Also, if you go to this forum post you can find lots of other apps you can sideload:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...3-bars-689706/
    03-29-12 09:23 AM
    How do you get DDPB to show the sideloaded apps you already have installed? All I can get it to show is bar files on my computer for apps I have installed and usually once I sideload an app, I get rid of the bar file.
    03-29-12 09:25 AM
    How do you get DDPB to show the sideloaded apps you already have installed? All I can get it to show is bar files on my computer for apps I have installed and usually once I sideload an app, I get rid of the bar file.
    Big mistake - at least for native apps. For Android apps, you can always install "settings.bar" and then uninstall apps from within the Android player environment. However, any non-Android apps that you side load will be impossible to uninstall without the original .BAR file as a reference for DDPB. They won't show-up in your "My Appworld" and will basically become zombies until you do a security wipe.

The moral of the story: Hang on to those .BAR files until you completely uninstall the associated app!

RCK
    mjlott and EricB1968 like this.
    03-29-12 09:37 AM
    You will need to have the bar file to uninstall and it has to be the same version you used originally. So, if you installed Dictionary.com 1.0.4 for example, then delete the bar, you would need to re-download Dictionary.com 1.0.4, click Add in DDPB so it can see it, then select it and click uninstall.
    03-29-12 09:43 AM
    For Android apps, you can always install "settings.bar" and then uninstall apps from within the Android player
    Rick, By any chance do you have a link to where I can get settings.bar ?
    Thanks & good morning.
    03-29-12 09:49 AM
    Rick, By any chance do you have a link to where I can get settings.bar ?
    Thanks & good morning.
    Here you go...

Settings.bar

Side load and enjoy!

RCK
    EricB1968 likes this.
    03-29-12 10:39 AM
    So.deleting native apps with a long press also won't delete them if they were installed with ddpb?
    03-29-12 10:41 AM
    Here you go...

Settings.bar

Side load and enjoy!

RCK
    The Settings.bar has an uninstall in it. Does THIS uninstall the sideloaded apps or is it just another way of removing the icon only?
    03-29-12 10:57 AM
    I don't understand. I have lots of sideloaded apps, when I longpress and delete them, my remaining storage reflects this removal. I haven't noticed any problems, even in my app list.

?
    bedetek likes this.
    03-29-12 11:30 AM
    We probably need a more thorough explanation of sideloading, 'UNsideloading' and what apps do with their own portion of memory or folders. Clearly, the native (meaning designed for the original OS (qnx) apps create discrete areas where they store files (think of kobo books) and/or settings.

I had a one of those gps-mapping programs and it created 40,000 map-files. I can imagine either sideloaded "native" apps or Android apps doing the same but not necessarily cleaning up after themselves depending on how the are deleted, removed, UNinstalled or destroyed! Having to do either a Debrick or Security Wipe is not always user friendly and can take considerable time backing up and restoring media (if nothing else).
    03-29-12 11:58 AM
    I don't understand. I have lots of sideloaded apps, when I longpress and delete them, my remaining storage reflects this removal. I haven't noticed any problems, even in my app list.

?
    You might try sideloading File Expert then going into the Apps section. See if you can still see and launch apps that you long press deleted previously. That was what I saw, leading me to the conclusion that sideloaded apps are not being completely uninstalled using the long press method. Unfortunately, I haven't really found a good explanation for why that is yet.
    03-29-12 12:04 PM

?
    I stand corrected. Just tried this with a fairly sizable side loaded app and it indeed released the storage after I nuked the icon.

Funny thing is that I tried this a while back with a different app and it failed to work properly - couldn't re-side-load the app and had to forcibly uninstall it via DDPB using the original .BAR file. I just assumed that this was the normal behavior and a consequence of not installing through AppWorld, etc.

Glad to hear I may have been wrong, but regardless, I'd still keep the .BAR files around just in case...

RCK
    03-29-12 12:32 PM
    The residual data from sideloading android apps, I think is just par for the course. On my old android phone, if I unistalled an app, the cached data would still remain on my sdcard. I think thats where people are seeing data still remaining when they uninstall one, just delete it and go on with your merry way!
    03-29-12 02:24 PM
    The only app that I have not been able to uninstall regardless of what I do (short of a secure wipe) is the android email client. I was still getting email notifications after the uninstall method.

I "don't think" there is a difference between deleting the app from the pb or using the desktop tool. The warning states that this will delete the application and not just the short cut (or something close to this.)
    Last edited by zorecati; 03-29-12 at 02:36 PM.
    03-29-12 02:34 PM

Same thing happened to me a while back, and like you i had a previous version of DDPB without the uninstalling option, unfortunately for me i had to do a security wipe, right on the middle of the SW i decided to update DDPB and thats when i saw the uninstall option
    03-29-12 02:40 PM
    The residual data from sideloading android apps, I think is just par for the course. On my old android phone, if I unistalled an app, the cached data would still remain on my sdcard. I think thats where people are seeing data still remaining when they uninstall one, just delete it and go on with your merry way!
    The reason it was an issue for me was I lost the icon on the home screen and tried to reload the app using sideload method but it didn't put the icon back on the home screen (as the PB thinks the app is already installed). I had to find a way to uninstall the app before sideloading again.
    03-29-12 02:41 PM
    Same thing happened to me a while back, and like you i had a previous version of DDPB without the uninstalling option, unfortunately for me i had to do a security wipe, right on the middle of the SW i decided to update DDPB and thats when i saw the uninstall option
    Yeah, I was ready to root, security wipe, whatever I needed to do. Fortunately, I found this stuff out in time and saved myself some considerable effort.
    03-29-12 02:43 PM

I "don't think" there is a difference between deleting the app from the pb or using the desktop tool. The warning states that this will delete the application and not just the short cut (or something close to this.)
    There is a difference with android sideloaded apps, removing them from the PB just removes the icon and not the app, you can still launch them by using an app manager like Astro, the problem is that even if you try to sideload them again the icons wont appear on the screen but the apps are actually there, native sideloaded apps are ok in my experience.
    03-29-12 02:45 PM
    Here you go...

Settings.bar

Side load and enjoy!

RCK

I couldn't get the settings.bar to install with ddpb. I got an error. Does it need to be signed first ?
    03-29-12 04:19 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD