ive narrowed down the issue of my browser hanging after a minute to the router. i noticed that the internet would crap out on my laptop as well. a quick power cycle to my dlink dir 615 returns connectivity to both temporarily

anyone with the same router can comment on their settings? i dont want to have to buy a new router just to have working wifi on playbook at home

thanks in advance
    03-28-12 12:08 AM
    I have a 625 that had similar symptoms. On the Dlink site I found a newer version of the firmware, and after I updated to it, the problem went away. You might want to check if there is a newer version than you are running for the 615.
    03-28-12 12:13 AM
    Yep, 615 here too, I too had to do the pulling of the cord ritual daily, changed to only G and haven't had one hangup or needed to pull the plug since, this was months ago.

And funny enough, first gen iPad also crapped out with the N/G setting, also hasn't faltered with just G as well.
    Last edited by jwn66; 03-28-12 at 12:20 AM.
    03-28-12 12:17 AM
    Yep, 615 here too, I too had to do the pulling of the cord ritual daily, changed to only G and haven't had one hangup or needed to pull the plug since, this was months ago.

And funny enough, first gen iPad also crapped out with the N/G setting, also hasn't faltered with just G as well.
    i read that as well

the thing is i do a lot of streaming of movies and G just doesnt cut it so i cannot downgrade to lower speed

ill look for a firmware before committing to a new router.

i already spent 10 min looking, the DLINK site is so cluttered i cannot find anything haha

and how do i even check what firmware i have on it at the moment? Im new to windows (former mac user) so excuse the ignorance haha.
    03-28-12 09:26 AM
    I just installed the DIR 615 at my daughters house. Had the same issues at first. But once I deleted all the old settings of connections that had been made in various places over time on the laptop all seems to be working just fine. Laptop had been many places all over the world and had lots of saved connections. I think this may have confused things, not sure but it is fine now.
    03-28-12 09:33 AM
    I have a DIR-615 Rev E1, 5.00NA with WPA-personal on mixed G/N mode and it works fine.

Make sure you have the latest firmware.

Disable the Auto Channel Scan and then pick one in the box below it. You may need to switch it a few times.

The screenshot below shows my currently connected devices. The N's are my LG TV, 1 BB 9800, and 2 Android phones. The G is an older Dell Laptop.
    03-28-12 09:53 AM
    I also have the DIR-615.
    I set mode to g & b.
    But I think the big stability difference came when I set the cipher to TKIP. While this slows down the traffic for all attached workstations, at least it has given me stability.
    03-28-12 09:53 AM
    In addition to ensuring you are on the latest firmware, also be sure to turn off the auto channel scan feature which someone else here mentioned. I found that with all the other networks in my area, the router would keep switching from channel to channel all the time and would end up in this endless loop of channel changing. The only way out of it was to reboot the router. Annoying.
    03-28-12 10:14 AM
    Tweek your settings my dlink615 works great.
    Norman_C likes this.
    03-28-12 10:53 AM
    i read that as well

the thing is i do a lot of streaming of movies and G just doesnt cut it so i cannot downgrade to lower speed

ill look for a firmware before committing to a new router.

i already spent 10 min looking, the DLINK site is so cluttered i cannot find anything haha

and how do i even check what firmware i have on it at the moment? Im new to windows (former mac user) so excuse the ignorance haha.
    You won't even notice a difference lol....
    Oh, except for the fact that your playbook will actually work, but hey, to each his own.
    03-28-12 11:50 AM
    As a matter of interest, what is the latest firmware level ?
    I have Hardware Version: B2 Firmware Version: 2.25

gail
    03-28-12 11:51 AM
    I googled "dlink firmware 615"... here's what popped up:

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?tab=3&...v=DIR-615_revB

Looks like 2.25 is the latest version.

Another thing to try is reset the router by pressing a paperclip tip into the reset hole and hold it down for a few seconds. This should reset your router to factory settings. Like the others guys said above, that router should work fine with the PB. I know a lot of people have recommended disabling "n" but my experience has been the PB works fine over "n" with my dlink router, DIR-825.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-28-12 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Clarify
    03-28-12 12:45 PM
    Ensure your router is up-to-date with the latest firmware. Also ensure your configuration is set to WPA2 Personal (Only) Encryption Type: AES (Only).

The PlayBook does not like TKIP even if it is configured to TKIP & AES, so be sure to disable TKIP.

KB26522-BlackBerry PlayBook does not connect to 802.11n Wi-Fi network configured to allow TKIP
    03-28-12 01:29 PM
    I have a 655 and had the same issue. As others have done, I upgraded the firmware to the most recent and also set it to operate at G instead of mixed b/g/n mode. I never turned off auto channel scan though. With that said everything is working now, but I am annoyed I can't operate it at the N setting. Pointless to have spent money on an N router in that case.
    03-28-12 02:28 PM
    I'll try firmware update and report back
    03-28-12 05:49 PM
    I have a DIR-615 Rev E1, 5.00NA with WPA-personal on mixed G/N mode and it works fine.

Make sure you have the latest firmware.

Disable the Auto Channel Scan and then pick one in the box below it. You may need to switch it a few times.

The screenshot below shows my currently connected devices. The N's are my LG TV, 1 BB 9800, and 2 Android phones. The G is an older Dell Laptop.
    ive updated firmware, AES, and WPA2 Personal and the problem continues

I disabled auto scan channels but unsure as to what channel to pick? ive tried a couple to no avail? what does this setting mean?
    03-28-12 08:38 PM
    i think i may have cracked it

i left auto scan on but reserved IP for all of my devices

i dont know what it did, i just read it somewhere else. but so far so good!
    03-28-12 09:25 PM
    I threw out my Dlink router and switched to a Cisco router and my playbook works amazing, no stalling out anymore.
    03-28-12 09:36 PM
    I used a ActionTec PK5000 on a DSL line .I don't have the setting because I am in a different location. It was fast. I downloaded OS2 (405 mb) in 10 minutes. I did 5 PB's on the same router and they all downloaded in 10 minutes. Very impressive compared to my current location which is a lot slower with a Dlink 601.
    03-28-12 09:49 PM
    bumping this as the connection is still dropping if i connect playbook to wifi

its almost as if the router cannot handle multiple connections to it, but i know that cant be right.

any other suggestions?
    03-31-12 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD