Crazy question, I know.. But the prices have jumped up on the playbooks and the kindle fire is powerfull enough + cheap enough. Can this be done? Any. Hackers out there know how to? Hmmmm
    03-24-12 02:41 PM
    It won't work.
    The PlayBook is still $199 on Shop Blackberry, and the Kindle Fire is $199 too.
    03-24-12 02:44 PM
    PB prices haven't gone up....priced same as the KF. What do you want, a professional tablet pc, or an entertainment tablet with a gazillion game playing apps?
    03-24-12 02:46 PM
    If you somehow manage to do that hypothetically speaking of course, the 512 MB of RAM in the kindle fire is not suffient to run QNX
    03-24-12 02:47 PM
    Acha! Thank you guys. I just went to best buy and office max, and they're like 500 bucks there! But ill try crackberry then, and just have to wait a few days..
    03-24-12 02:55 PM
    Try amazon.

Played with Mg friends playbook and it makes my fire look llike a piece of crap.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-24-12 03:01 PM
    Besides, imo, android is the crappiest os ever (kindle fire is android, right?). I love blackberry bcause its soo solid.
    03-24-12 03:05 PM
    Both devices have strengths and weaknesses. The obvious strength of the KF is the ecosystem and apps. The PBOS is a better OS IMO. Also, the PB has somewhat better specs (RAM, cameras). They both have fast browsers.

In any case, they are both tablets (there is no difference between a "tablet" and a "tablet PC" as one of the posters above implied). Both fulfill the purpose. None of them is a "professional" tablet, whatever that may mean. You just need to know why you'd need one OS over the other.
    musical1806 likes this.
    03-24-12 03:17 PM
    QNX being based on NetBSD could get ported to the Fire, but PlayBook OS never will.
    03-24-12 03:38 PM
    Buy the nook if you want a book reading device its better than the kindle. If you want a tablet get the PlayBook and be prepared to sell your netbook and laptop cause you will not use them anymore.
    03-24-12 04:54 PM
    selling a laptop is a pretty far fetched idea. Until tablets can run complex excel programs and compose manuscripts from word, my laptop is staying pretty close to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-24-12 05:12 PM
    At present, I'd have to give the "professional" nod to the Android Fire, simply because, however elegant QNX, it's still more buggy and less reliable than Android--hopefully, RIM will release an update to OS2 to address this. In a "professional" device, that you rely on for doing business-related things, you want something that works reliably, not something with the best specs...

No Android/iOS/QNX tablet can replace a laptop for most serious computer applications. But, there are some, like the Asus Transformer, that certainly are trying. I have a Dell XT2, which is a full-blown Windows 7 "convertible" tablet, with keyboard but also touch-sensitive screen. It functions as a real laptop computer, running all Windows software, while still capable of being used as a tablet--albeit one that is bulky, heavy and with poor battery life. IMHO, the coming crop of Windows 8 tablets may give us slate tablets that also double (with external keyboards) as real laptop computers.
    gimpy666 likes this.
    03-24-12 05:44 PM
    PlayBook... cause it has a rear and front facing cameras, bluetooth, and more productive apps

i would only buy the kindle fire if i was really active in buying stuff from amazon and if u want more entertainment (movies especially) kind of stuff then kindle fire.. but playbook otherwise
    03-24-12 07:22 PM
    Kindle os is on the playbook. Kindle fire OS is just a kindle theme on top of android so there you go. You know what im about to put the kindle theme on my playbook to see if it works.
    03-24-12 07:50 PM
    Acha! Thank you guys. I just went to best buy and office max, and they're like 500 bucks there! But ill try crackberry then, and just have to wait a few days..
    I just bought my PlayBook on Thursday from Office Depot. I paid $299 for a 64gb. I bought it in the brick and mortar store.

I have to say being an Apple guy for my home stuff I was not expecting much. My work just gave us all BB phones and I wanted to try the bridge feature to make reading emails and web sites I use for my daily work task easier. I have to say I am very happy. The smaller than iPad size is nice for portability.
    trinipoco likes this.
    03-24-12 08:18 PM
    PlayBook... cause it has a rear and front facing cameras, bluetooth, and more productive apps
    Really? Please share.
    03-24-12 09:59 PM
    Sprint is still selling the 16gb model for $199
    03-24-12 10:20 PM
    At present, I'd have to give the "professional" nod to the Android Fire, simply because, however elegant QNX, it's still more buggy and less reliable than Android--hopefully, RIM will release an update to OS2 to address this. In a "professional" device, that you rely on for doing business-related things, you want something that works reliably, not something with the best specs...

No Android/iOS/QNX tablet can replace a laptop for most serious computer applications. But, there are some, like the Asus Transformer, that certainly are trying. I have a Dell XT2, which is a full-blown Windows 7 "convertible" tablet, with keyboard but also touch-sensitive screen. It functions as a real laptop computer, running all Windows software, while still capable of being used as a tablet--albeit one that is bulky, heavy and with poor battery life. IMHO, the coming crop of Windows 8 tablets may give us slate tablets that also double (with external keyboards) as real laptop computers.
    Wow, are you sure you are using the same device as the rest of us? I have had my hands on Android devices with every os from froyo to ice cream. They are all generally good looking and flashy, but very unstable. Android feels as if it is always in beta. Random app crashes, reboots an unresponsive devices. Worst thing I ever had with the Playbook OS was a few random browser crashes. Never locks up, or is ever unresponsive or unstable like android.
    03-25-12 12:25 AM
    The PB does get non responsive after a few days of not being rebooted.
    03-25-12 01:42 AM
    Wow, are you sure you are using the same device as the rest of us? I have had my hands on Android devices with every os from froyo to ice cream. They are all generally good looking and flashy, but very unstable. Android feels as if it is always in beta. Random app crashes, reboots an unresponsive devices. Worst thing I ever had with the Playbook OS was a few random browser crashes. Never locks up, or is ever unresponsive or unstable like android.
    Yes, I'm afraid so. With Beta OS2, my PB actually was fairly reliable; but, since updating to the official OS2, it won't realiably boot or come out of sleep mode; and, sometimes, apps cause it to hang. Most irritating is when, on booting up, I get the pretty swirling blobs forever--or, until I do a hard reboot and try again... After the PB let me down when I was frantically trying to get it running to check a calendar date, I decided I just couldn't use it for anything critical, anymore. I've done the security wipe and re-installed OS2, but the problems persist.

My Android Samsung 10.1 tablet by contrast is rock solid, and has never let me down. At worst, I have had to reboot, during which it has never hung. Now, of course, there are a lot of Android tablets out there, with different flavors of the OS. It may well be that some are not as reliable as the 10.1.
    03-27-12 04:59 PM
    Yes, I'm afraid so. With Beta OS2, my PB actually was fairly reliable; but, since updating to the official OS2, it won't realiably boot or come out of sleep mode; and, sometimes, apps cause it to hang. Most irritating is when, on booting up, I get the pretty swirling blobs forever--or, until I do a hard reboot and try again... After the PB let me down when I was frantically trying to get it running to check a calendar date, I decided I just couldn't use it for anything critical, anymore. I've done the security wipe and re-installed OS2, but the problems persist.

My Android Samsung 10.1 tablet by contrast is rock solid, and has never let me down. At worst, I have had to reboot, during which it has never hung. Now, of course, there are a lot of Android tablets out there, with different flavors of the OS. It may well be that some are not as reliable as the 10.1.

Beta at your own risk. Never had that issue with stock pb and os.
    03-28-12 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD