I have owned multiple versions of the iphone but always go back to my trustworthy Blackberries. I honestly feel that the Iphones and Ipads are more of status symbols just to say that you own one versus a full functional device. People don't like to point out iphones problems or ipads. But they are more then happy to point out Blackberries,Androids or Windows phone. The reason apple sells so many iphones in a week is because if somebodu is seen with a non-apple phone they are always asked why did you go with that. But the iphone is not as functional as a Blackberry a blackberry is a pure communcations phone first then entertainment 2nd so when people get angry or upset RIM doesn't have more games or more apps in the App world that's why. Apple is all about games hence why I would bet majority of the users out there are younger teens to mid 20s.
    drummer_god likes this.
    03-21-12 03:38 AM
    I have owned multiple versions of the iphone but always go back to my trustworthy Blackberries. I honestly feel that the Iphones and Ipads are more of status symbols just to say that you own one versus a full functional device. People don't like to point out iphones problems or ipads. But they are more then happy to point out Blackberries,Androids or Windows phone. The reason apple sells so many iphones in a week is because if somebodu is seen with a non-apple phone they are always asked why did you go with that. But the iphone is not as functional as a Blackberry a blackberry is a pure communcations phone first then entertainment 2nd so when people get angry or upset RIM doesn't have more games or more apps in the App world that's why. Apple is all about games hence why I would bet majority of the users out there are younger teens to mid 20s.
    Having used Android, iOS, and BB, I honestly feel you are completely wrong. And I hope no one in RIM harbors the same illusions as you do, otherwise we will never see a competitive BB10 device.
    Chrisy, vrs626, elibohnert and 2 others like this.
    03-21-12 03:49 AM
    @OP,
    Your assessment is unfair. Status Symbol? Really?
    By your logic even my 9900 would be a status symbol as the Curve does exactly the same stuff at half the price. I bought the 9900 because it appealed to me. Much the same way someone buys an Iphone because it appeals to them.

You might have your own assessment and might prefer the BB (as do I), but terming someone's choice of iPhone as a mere status symbol is oversimplifying the issue.

Anyway this thread will go the predictable way so I'm gonna grab a beer and some wafers and sit back.
    avt123 and xanadome like this.
    03-21-12 04:02 AM
    Please explain how the iPhone is not functional? Other than it doesn't have a keyboard.

I have both a 4S and a 9900 and both do the same thing. I can get push email on my iPhone, text msg, make and edit documents, check and alter my calendar, make VoIP calls, and tons of other things.

The only thing I like is the 9900's keyboard. But I'm used to typing long emails on the iPhones keyboard so it's not a problem.

Wanna know why everyone grips about RIM? It's because they are LAZY. Plain and simple. My 9900 got wifi hot spot almost 8 months after its release and about a year and a half after the competition( if not more than that). Also how can you put a EDOF camera on a flag ship device, when the device it is succeeding had one and when the camera phones are now a huge selling point for a device.

It's little things like that, that have people complaining. It has nothing to do with status symbol, it has to do with working out of the box. Not having to search forums to learn how to convert apks to bar files, to how to side load the app. Not pushing bridge so non blackberry users feel like its not a tablet they should buy since they don't have a berry.

iOS works out of the box, and that's why A LOT of first time smartphone and tablet users choose it over Android and Blackberry. And if they have an issue that they want to learn off to the genius bar they go for hands on tutorials. If their device fails, they can replace it same day and be on their way.
    03-21-12 04:08 AM
    Please explain how the iPhone is not functional? Other than it doesn't have a keyboard.

I have both a 4S and a 9900 and both do the same thing. I can get push email on my iPhone, text msg, make and edit documents, check and alter my calendar, make VoIP calls, and tons of other things.

The only thing I like is the 9900's keyboard. But I'm used to typing long emails on the iPhones keyboard so it's not a problem.

Wanna know why everyone grips about RIM? It's because they are LAZY. Plain and simple. My 9900 got wifi hot spot almost 8 months after its release and about a year and a half after the competition( if not more than that). Also how can you put a EDOF camera on a flag ship device, when the device it is succeeding had one and when the camera phones are now a huge selling point for a device.

It's little things like that, that have people complaining. It has nothing to do with status symbol, it has to do with working out of the box. Not having to search forums to learn how to convert apks to bar files, to how to side load the app. Not pushing bridge so non blackberry users feel like its not a tablet they should buy since they don't have a berry.

iOS works out of the box, and that's why A LOT of first time smartphone and tablet users choose it over Android and Blackberry. And if they have an issue that they want to learn off to the genius bar they go for hands on tutorials. If their device fails, they can replace it same day and be on their way.

Well, am a BB lover, but this OP really has a point or several. Had to admit!
    03-21-12 04:22 AM
    Look I love my BB products (Bold 9790 and PG 16gb) and aside from my ipod I don't use anymore, I don't care for Apple products but these threads just end badly AND they give the Apple trolls ammunition to say "See! They do it too!" When they post equally flammable threads.
    I'm just saying. This never ends well.
    03-21-12 04:33 AM
    Everything and anything can be a status symbol because you choose to view it as one.

The OP's post is as good as starting another Apple Vs RIM/Blackberry argument again.
    *le sigh*
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-21-12 05:24 AM
    ...Wanna know why everyone grips about RIM? It's because they are LAZY. Plain and simple. My 9900 got wifi hot spot almost 8 months after its release and about a year and a half after the competition( if not more than that). Also how can you put a EDOF camera on a flag ship device, when the device it is succeeding had one and when the camera phones are now a huge selling point for a device...
    So let's see, RIM built a phone with the goal of having it work as a communications device in even the most marginal communications environment. They wanted the battery to last a full day of use on voice calls, email and IM. But what you actually want is camera, WiFi router, media player and game machine. Would be nice if the phone worked occasionally and 8 hours of battery is enough (less if you use the WiFi Hotspot).

Different philosophy for what the device should do. Which is the right one? I prefer to have a solid, reliable communications tool. Those other features are nice to have of course but I'm willing to compromise the function of those non-communications options to have solid communications for 14+ hours.

So why did RIM include those options? Because the market says it wants them and, they could find a way to add them without diminishing the basic function of the phone.

When Virginia had an earthquake last year, about 500 people evacuated the building. I was the only person I could see who was able to communicate with my family (via BBM). No other device (85% iPhones) I could see could get a connection. Now is that important? It was to me at the time.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-21-12 05:59 AM
    A status symbol? Absolutely. For teens and immature shallow minded adults.
    For normal people who excersise a preference, it is simply a preference. I am exactly the same person when I pull my BB or my iP4S or my Skyrocket out of my Louis Vuitton bag and hold it in my left had sporting the Tag Huer watch as I lean my arm on the door of my Beemer as I drive down Georgetown.
    Oooooooops.......
    Yah, OP, ridiculous characterisation you've got going there. Come back when you've got something substantive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 06:18 AM
    This thread has been kicked off with a massive oversimplification. Do not let yourself be drawn into pointless bickering because of it.
    03-21-12 06:22 AM
    I said in my own opinion look at how many people by the iphones majority of them for what reasons?? Because their friends have them? I believe that's why RIM is still a power in the cellphone industry because 1 they are the best communcation devices phone calls txting emails and social. And they offer the most secure phones out of the whole offering of all other smartphones on the market. I personally just feel that that apple has a whole has become more of a status symbol because everbody that owns a iphone seem to always be fanboys/girls or near that status and they are willing to wait hours in a line for what a slight upgrade to a product. The only advantage Apple has is there marketing and App store because most developers only make Ios specific apps.
    03-21-12 06:24 AM

When Virginia had an earthquake last year, about 500 people evacuated the building. I was the only person I could see who was able to communicate with my family (via BBM). No other device (85% iPhones) I could see could get a connection. Now is that important? It was to me at the time.
    This was true for me too. I had the same exact experience.
    I had my 9810, brand new, and I was on BBM when no one with Androids or iPhones could message in/out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 06:24 AM

Apple just introduces a "NEW" device ipad 3 or iphone 4s with minor upgrades and everybody hops on the bandwagon and says its the best phone ever even though the previous generation is the same phone. Or they just are so close minded that they don't realize that other companies offer way better options. I have owned the past 3 versions of the iphone and nothing has changed except camera and body style only pertaining between 3gs and 4. Also I have tried various android devices and liked those way more then apples offerings. Blackberry people aren't lazy they want a phone that will communicate flawlessly.

You can get push email on your iphone but I have had the 9930 and the 4s which just sold and have them sitting right next to each other same wifi and I will get my emails social notifications almost a minute or 2 sooner on my blackberry then I would on my iphone so just because its labeled push notification doesn't it make go any faster then having it set up as regularly. And also you would have to sometimes go and refresh your emails with the iphone because it wouldn't pull it down at the time you requested. Apple is just a media device plain and simple they play games good and videos but when it comes down to communcating there is no phone I would trust with my emails calls txts then a Blackberry no matter what generation blackberries have always stayed the same in offering push email delivery.
    03-21-12 06:33 AM
    @OP,
    Your assessment is unfair. Status Symbol? Really?
    By your logic even my 9900 would be a status symbol as the Curve does exactly the same stuff at half the price. I bought the 9900 because it appealed to me. Much the same way someone buys an Iphone because it appeals to them.

You might have your own assessment and might prefer the BB (as do I), but terming someone's choice of iPhone as a mere status symbol is oversimplifying the issue.

Anyway this thread will go the predictable way so I'm gonna grab a beer and some wafers and sit back.
    Only reason I bought the 9900 versus curve one because keyboard is better because I have big hands 2nd because I needed the world capablities of the 9900 which the curve does not offer.
    03-21-12 06:35 AM
    I said in my own opinion look at how many people by the iphones majority of them for what reasons?? Because their friends have them? I believe that's why RIM is still a power in the cellphone industry because 1 they are the best communcation devices phone calls txting emails and social. And they offer the most secure phones out of the whole offering of all other smartphones on the market. I personally just feel that that apple has a whole has become more of a status symbol because everbody that owns a iphone seem to always be fanboys/girls or near that status and they are willing to wait hours in a line for what a slight upgrade to a product. The only advantage Apple has is there marketing and App store because most developers only make Ios specific apps.
    Try this on for size.

Oversimplifying an entire demographic based on a select segment within that demographic is flawed. Yes, there are people who are iPhans because it's popular. However....I was at a systems demo yesterday and there were A LOT of people with iPhones and iPads there. They were using iPads in exactly the same way that my director was using his PB. They were both productively using their device of choice.

I've got an iPhone 4S and I did not wait in line. I bought it last week because I had a desire for one. Having had an iPhone 3GS, this is a huge step. Yes, looked down my nose at the iP4S the first time I saw it because *superficially* it underwhelmed me. But once I got it home I realised I'm REALLY enjoying it.

Just because I prefer Blackberries it doesn't mean that I must denigrate others their choices. I did that. You know when I did that? When I was an immature, arrogant BB fangirl who knew nothing about the other platforms. I can't begin to tell you how many slices of humble pie I've had to eat since then. Because you know what? Although I love my BBerries above all others, these devices I used to put down before I tried them are damn functional themselves.

This, I learned when I decided to open my mind instead of my mouth.
    03-21-12 06:35 AM
    Ok like I stated in my orginal post this is my PERSONAL thoughts I was not trying to start a agruement just putting out to the community how I felt about all this apple hype surronding a product lately. Say when the iphone 4s before it was announced there were so many rumors flying around bigger screen etc. But when it was announced people were disappointed about same design only minor upgrades. But still sold millions why because people want to "FIT" in with there friends who all have iphones. That's why I say it is more of a status symbol. What is the purpose of somebody buying a 4s when they own a 4 same exact phone minus 3 things siri camera and a little little faster of a processor.
    03-21-12 06:39 AM
    Also look at what apple hasn't done with the IOS what has changed since the orginal iphone nothing still have your 4 apps in the dock then you have your other apps 4 in a row lined up screen to screen. Once apple felt they were "top" dogs which in my opinion they aren't they stopped trying to change and reinvent phones all they have done since the orginal iphone is all incramental upgrades. Look at what rim has done from the 9000 to the 9900 about the same time the iphone has been out. They have rethought everything a blackberry is and was they have changed and upgraded just about everything.
    03-21-12 06:42 AM
    Ok like I stated in my orginal post this is my PERSONAL thoughts I was not trying to start a agruement just putting out to the community how I felt about all this apple hype surronding a product lately. Say when the iphone 4s before it was announced there were so many rumors flying around bigger screen etc. But when it was announced people were disappointed about same design only minor upgrades. But still sold millions why because people want to "FIT" in with there friends who all have iphones. That's why I say it is more of a status symbol. What is the purpose of somebody buying a 4s when they own a 4 same exact phone minus 3 things siri camera and a little little faster of a processor.
    Because it was their *choice* to get one. Siri sounded interesting. The camera is light years ahead of the one on my 9930. And as far as the processor, not having had the iP4 I can't compare, but the device is just as fast as my Skyrocket, and that thing is astonishingly fast.
    03-21-12 06:45 AM
    Apple makes a great device. Do I like it for ME? No. I like Blackberry products.
    Are their douchebags out there who buy Apple stuff because it's trendy or a status symbol? Yes. I see them at Starbucks with their Macbook pros out working on their movie scripts.
    Its not not the majority of them though. My wife uses an iPhone4. Its simple to use and has lots a 'cool apps' it suits her needs. She's not using it because its trendy.
    Her sister's boyfriend though, he's one of those guys you're thinking of.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-21-12 06:50 AM
    Also look at what apple hasn't done with the IOS what has changed since the orginal iphone nothing still have your 4 apps in the dock then you have your other apps 4 in a row lined up screen to screen. Once apple felt they were "top" dogs which in my opinion they aren't they stopped trying to change and reinvent phones all they have done since the orginal iphone is all incramental upgrades. Look at what rim has done from the 9000 to the 9900 about the same time the iphone has been out. They have rethought everything a blackberry is and was they have changed and upgraded just about everything.
    And there are people who care more about the seamless integration with iTunes or with their other products than they do about new features, so they buy them. Personally, I could not care less about what is under the hood of my car, I just want the thing to work. For me, Honda accomplishes that. So I buy Hondas. I don't care what's got more muscle or what's been recently redesigned. I don't care that I can run a Ford Focus almost as a Microsoft extension of a computer. I care that my car turns on and behaves how I want it to. That's a Honda. Similarly, there are people who care about the overall simplicity of the UI, about the integration with their other Apple products, about the availabilty of apps.

Different strokes. Makes life interesting. What your neighbour has in his pocket does not take away from what you've got in yours. No need to deny his joy. Just enjoy yours.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-21-12 06:50 AM
    Or they just are so close minded that they don't realize that other companies offer way better options.
    Good point. I mean, if there's one thing that defines you in this thread, it's your open mind.
    03-21-12 06:58 AM
    It is foolish to argue that Apple isnt doing something (most things) correctly. They are the worlds most valuable company, people line up for hours (or days) and buy their products, and the iPhone is now THE symbol of the smartphone.

That is not to say they do not do some things that people here (and elsewhere) think are mistakes. In many ways, they are behaving like RIM did when it hit its peak. RIM virtually created the smartphone market (at the very least they took it from Palm and Windows Mobile), and became THE business symbol for mobility. EVERYONE wanted a BlackBerry, everyone wanted to be connected to work, to family, etc. RIM stopped any rapid evolution and took their product that worked, and worked well, and changed it slightly from year to year.

Apple is doing the same thing at this point. They virtually created the consumer smartphone market. The iPhone IS an incredibly well selling product. But the innovation that they had at the beginning isnt there as it was. They have settled into complacency, giving incremental updates instead of rapid evolution.

Does this mean that Apple will have the same problems as RIM in the future? It depends. It would take someone to radically innovate how things are done and how smartphones look/feel for that to happen. And even then, Apple is a much stronger company than RIM ever was (more than almost every other company, ever).

Only time will tell how things will play out. People need to keep their minds open on these things, and realize that while you may not like a product, that doesn't change the fact that it is, in many cases, THE representative product for the industry. I do not personally like the iPhone or iPad, they do not suite my needs. But this does not change what those products, and the company that makes them (Apple) has achieved.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-21-12 07:07 AM
    I don't want to "fit" in with my friends. I want a phone that I enjoy using. I'm almost 27 years old. I don't need to have a certain cell phone to keep up with my friends, many of whom aren't even in the same state as me.

You sure do like to generalize about a large group of people, OP.

And let's not forget about the stereotypes of BlackBerry users. People think they are for boring, busy, powerful business tycoons. When I first told my husband I was getting a BlackBerry (a few years ago) he said "Why? You're not a CEO."

Mature, self-assured adults don't need a cell phone to "fit" in.

My iPhone has been a great communications tool. I don't use it for gaming. I get my emails on time, send and receives many iMessages and SMS every day and use Twitter and Facebook to network and keep up with friends and family. It has never lacked being a fantastic communications tool.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Sith_Apprentice, Chrisy and vrs626 like this.
    03-21-12 07:07 AM
    Well posted moiselles. Its all about personal preference. We, as smartphone users, choose what we like best. That is as simple as it gets.
    03-21-12 07:11 AM
    Both my parents (59 & 58) and my grandmother (81) have iPhones. I'm fairly sure they don't have it to be cool or for the status of it.

They're easy to use, big screens, no lags or random loss of data. No battery pulls, major bug. The keyboard is big and easy to use.

Believe me, I wish they had BlackBerry devices. But the iPhone is really a better phone for them.

My mom tried my BlackBerry before she got a phone. She hated the tiny keyboard button and couldn't see the screen.

The iPhone is her first phone. I'm grateful Apple made such a user friendly device. Otherwise, she would still be without a phone.
    Sith_Apprentice and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-21-12 07:24 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD