Verizon wants $20-$30/month to activate mobile hotspot, which I think is a ripoff. Do all carriers charge for this? What about any apps that provide this for free?
    03-20-12 04:56 PM
    Why is it a "ripoff"?
    03-20-12 04:59 PM
    Why is it a "ripoff"?
    It is a ripoff because they are already charging you for a data plan, and that's the data you are using when you are using hotspot. Why should anyone pay extra just to have that feature enabled? If they charge you extra, then it is a rip off.

OP, I agree with you 110%
    03-20-12 07:35 PM
    I'm 50/50...

Yes I have unlimited data and I pay the extra charge for mobile hotspot. But think about, we pay a fee for data service on our device like we always have prior to mobile hotspot. But do you really think the wireless provider wants you to hog up data so you can use your PC, tablets, or whatever? I can pretty much do most of my online stuff on my device.

This is where I'm 50/50... Yes the $20 VZW charges me is steep for 2Gb. The charge should be more like a $5 flat fee charge.

Rip off... Yes and no, but with reason.

Maybe once I get a tablet my view will change.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    03-20-12 08:03 PM
    It is a ripoff because they are already charging you for a data plan, and that's the data you are using when you are using hotspot. Why should anyone pay extra just to have that feature enabled? If they charge you extra, then it is a rip off.

OP, I agree with you 110%
    The data plan that they are "already charging you for" covers data used on your cell phone. And nothing more.

Using data on another device isn't covered. And you shouldn't have any expectation that it would be covered by that plan.

Would it be nice if the plans were a little less costly or included a little bit more data? Probably. But describing it as a "ripoff" is extreme.

Seems like just another case of people having unreasonable expectations.
    03-20-12 09:11 PM
    If possible they should allow one free connection. If. I'm using my PlayBook connected to my 9900 then I'm not using my 9900. Not sure how this would/could be done since the hotspot allows up to 5 connected devices.
    03-21-12 03:47 AM
    Vodafone UK doesn't charge.
    03-21-12 04:23 AM
    Airtel india charges a whopping amount for hotspot too.
    They can just charge as on normal charges like any other mobile data.
    Why not?
    03-21-12 04:32 AM
    For a "limited time", T-mobile USA will upgrade you for no charge to a bundled data and mobile hotspot plan on their current 5gig and 10gig unlimited data plans ($30 and $60 per month respectively).
    03-21-12 04:41 AM
    I'm 50/50...

Yes I have unlimited data and I pay the extra charge for mobile hotspot. But think about, we pay a fee for data service on our device like we always have prior to mobile hotspot. But do you really think the wireless provider wants you to hog up data so you can use your PC, tablets, or whatever? I can pretty much do most of my online stuff on my device.
    I think if I'm "sold" 500MB Data as part of my contract, my provider has to be prepared to let me use that amount of data no matter what I do. If I do exceed my data plan, for any reason whatsoever, thats when I deserve to get charged extra.
    kbz1960 and vercettibb like this.
    03-21-12 05:09 AM
    O2 UK don't charge
    03-21-12 05:13 AM
    The data plan that they are "already charging you for" covers data used on your cell phone. And nothing more.

Using data on another device isn't covered. And you shouldn't have any expectation that it would be covered by that plan.

Would it be nice if the plans were a little less costly or included a little bit more data? Probably. But describing it as a "ripoff" is extreme.

i know theres no point in arguing with you but i had to chime in,

you just sound so submissive and content with being ripped off at first i thought it was sarcasm?

when it comes down to it data is data. it shouldnt matter if you want to tether, because you are paying for a DATA connection. if i am using my laptop on mobile hot spot, how is that any different than me using that same data connection thru my iphone or my blackberry? its not as if there is a special "tethering" data that differs from regular data..its the same internet, same connection, same speed..different screen, additional fee.

i hardly think wanting to be able to use the data you are overcharged for every month (in your practically mandtory contract) as you please is "expecting too much" at all. nor would i consider it "extreme" to call an additional 20$ for a measly 2GB of hotspot data on top my 30$ data plan i already pay for, plus my overpriced texting (free for carriers), as well as my minutes i dont need or even use a fraction of, but am still forced to pay for, a ripoff, because thats exactly what it is.

corporations such as verizon and ATT are money hungry. they want to provide the minimum amount of service at the maximum fee. there is no reason other than greed that our wireless bills have gotten so high. america is now addicted to mobile data, and as soon as the monopolized wireless industry saw this they jacked up the price. hello tiered data plans. hello throttling. hello absurdly high prices.
    Last edited by DarshOne; 03-21-12 at 05:43 AM.
    03-21-12 05:31 AM
    All telcos in Singapore doesn't charge extra for hotspot nor tethering.
    Nashstruck likes this.
    03-21-12 05:54 AM

Yeah I'm going to have to jump in here and completely disagree with you.

Data is data is data. When I use my laptop at home while connected to wifi I'm not charged any more than I would be if I just used my desktop. Why should this be any different when using your mobile device's data plan on a different device? I have a 6GB plan and last month I hit 100MB. Thus, I have 5.9GB of data surplus. Are you telling me that if I wish to use my tablet to consume some of that surplus I should be charged more? How does that make any logical sense in your mind?

It's this kind of thinking that has shot mobile price plans sky high. Do you remember the days when there was no text messaging plans? Wasn't it nice to be able to text as much as you wanted to and not have to worry about using your 150 alloted messages? Once texting became more popular then there was a "need" to charge for texting plans.

If everyone added up what they pay for in comparison to what they actually use, you'd see just how much is taken from you and how much you actually receive. Or at the very least, how much you actually use. And these plans are built accordingly to be the least accommodating as they possibly can be.

As I said, I have a 6GB data plan and I use, on average, 100MB - 200MB for $30/month. So why don't I get something cheaper? Because the 500MB data plan is $25/month. How on earth does that make any rational sense? Shouldn't the 500MB data plan be like $5/month? Of course not, how would these carriers make money hand over fist that way? And then on top of that you feel it's okay to charge an extra $20/month just to be able to use that data, which I already pay for, on a different device?

Do you work for a carrier? I have a hard time believing you are simply a consumer.
    rfig and AugustArborists like this.
    03-21-12 06:07 AM
    Roger's includes tethering and hotspot on some plans.

They f&^%ing better, I give those bastards $500 a month for all my services.

But while data is data, hotspot is an extra service and you could expect to pay for extra services...wouldn't you?
    03-21-12 06:16 AM
    Roger's includes tethering and hotspot on some plans.

They f&^%ing better, I give those bastards $500 a month for all my services.

But while data is data, hotspot is an extra service and you could expect to pay for extra services...wouldn't you?
    Wow! I give Rogers Wireless CAD250.00 each month just for data services and one voice plan. True I like redundancy (Rocket Hub, MiFi plus 1GB BES data on primary smartphone plus 500MB data BIS data for testing enterprise activation and troubleshooting against a BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express) and flexibility with my data (500MB + 1GB + 3GB + 5GB = 9.5GB total data available each month) of which I use a small fraction. Too bad I cannot rollover unused data. And another CAD30.00 each month for cable Internet.
    03-21-12 06:44 AM
    Verizon wants $20-$30/month to activate mobile hotspot, which I think is a ripoff. Do all carriers charge for this? What about any apps that provide this for free?
    I think its a rip off also. I pay for unlimited data and I shouldn't have to pay extra for a hot spot. Especially since blackberry's barely use data as it is. Unlimited IS unlimited regardless of where your pulling data from
    03-21-12 07:21 AM
    Officially, yes, Data is Data is Data. If that were truly the case, then we would just have a monthly allowance (Cap) and we could surf, download, and use data with any device until we reach our limit.

Uhmmmmm, that isn't what is happening. Instead, because companies are trying to cut out the carriers (SMS apps, Bridge, voip, etc..) is taking chunks out of the carriers, and they are not making as much money as they should (according to them )

I think it is safe to assume that most smartphone users, use their devices for what they want (consuming media, Social Networking, phone stuff, mobile office, games), but the carrier has noticed that consumers are using more and more bandwidth as they acquire more and more mobile devices. Not all carriers take the same approach when trying to limit their servces, or charge for features that other carriers simply offer for free.

AT&T + Bridge anyone? Just a single example, if you feel it's unjust to pay for something that you feel should be included, then I suggest changing carriers, and letting your $$$ do the talking.

EECGeek - I hope you are on a SMB Plan, cause that monthly amount is disgusting. I hope a Roger's Rep visits your house at least once a month to dust your router or SOMETHING...

BB9700CA - While it's half of what EEC is paying, it's still outrageous.

I am with Bell, I pay about 145/Month (+/- $5)
    That is for all three services (Mobile, TV, and Internet)

My Carrier does not charge for the use of Mobile Hotspot.
    03-21-12 07:44 AM
    Says who? I pay for a cable internet connection and I am allowed to connect as many devices as I want. If I go over my data allowance, then I pay extra. Period.

Here, my coment is simply that you are either a moron, or you work for a carrier (and you make a lot of money while doing it)

Sure, but not too much, just a little bit!!! (yes, this is sarcasm!!)

I have said it all at this point!! My opinion is unchanged, you are a moron!!
    Anipilot likes this.
    03-21-12 08:01 AM
    Why is it a "ripoff"?
    You have to be a troll.
    03-21-12 08:15 AM
    What Rogers has done is at a 1GB data package they allow tethering and hotspot. 500mb would be easy to go over with hotspot but for a company to give you unlimited then charge you seen odd, but they are only tiving you unlimited for your phone and not to hotspot.

Id call and complain why give me unlimited but yet restrict the use.

like here a car but you can only do 35.
    Last edited by nd1983; 03-21-12 at 08:22 AM.
    03-21-12 08:20 AM
    What Rogers has done is at a 1GB data package they allow tethering and hotspot. 500mb would be easy to go over with hotspot but for a company to give you unlimited then charge you seen odd, but they are only tiving you unlimited for your phone and not to hotspot.

Id call and complain why give me unlimited but yet restrict the use.

like here a car but you can only do 35.
    More like being charged to use bluetooth in your car or plug a charger into the port etc.

It is a ripoff no matter how I use what I am all ready paying for shouldn't matter. If I go over then charge me.
    03-21-12 08:51 AM
    I have unlimited data and I don't get charged extra for hotspot or tethering.
    03-21-12 09:12 AM
    All telcos in Singapore doesn't charge extra for hotspot nor tethering.
    Because the price is already factored in...

- Charles
    03-21-12 10:16 AM
    I've heard one of the US carriers offer it free (Verizon?) But most networks charge.

In the UK I believe orange charge �5/mo
    03-21-12 10:19 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD