Hi,

I am interested to buy a Playbook, and one of its purposes would be to read ebooks. But I searched on the net and it seems to be no easy way to do it...
    Kobo app does not read any other books than those bought on kobo (no sideloading possible), kindle app (sideloaded) could only read books from kindle store, and other ebooks apps for Playbook need DRM-free books...

Is it true? Is it easier to sideload books now with OS2.0? Is it possible to read books protected with Adobe Digital Editions?

Sorry for my questions, but I do not want to buy a $200 playbook if it can't read ebooks easily and without downloading backdoor and expensive programs to remove DRMs.

Thanks
    Last edited by cmoibenlepro; 03-20-12 at 10:54 AM.
    03-20-12 10:45 AM
    No worries, buy the $1.99 app: Book Reader from the App store. Reads ePub, Mobi, PDF and more. Works great and has a ton of features. I prefer it to the Kobo or Kindle reader by far. Not sure if it will suit your needs for DRM reading.

Enjoy your Playbook!
    Last edited by roy baty; 03-20-12 at 11:02 AM.
    03-20-12 11:00 AM
    I've been using the "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books" app that I downloaded when I got my PB (summer 2011) - can't remember if I had to pay for the app, if I did it was only a couple of pounds

The app works well (though going to specific pages is a bit fiddly), and is also great at reading PDF and Mobi books (I translate a lot of my work documents into the mobi format using the free Mobipocket Creator application)

It is very good for being able to create bookmarks with long titles (I need this for multiple-bookmarking v long documents that I review for work)

Hope this helps

Alex
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 03-20-12 at 11:08 AM. Reason: missing sentence
    03-20-12 11:06 AM
    No worries, buy the $1.99 app: Book Reader from the App store. Reads ePub, Mobi, PDF and more. Works great and has a ton of features. I prefer it to the Kobo or Kindle reader by far. Not sure if it will suit your needs for DRM reading.

Enjoy your Playbook!
    Book Reader doesn't support PDF's unless i'm missing something, and no it wont help him with his DRM books, but i'd highly recomend downloading Calibre on the PC for managing his E-Books and for removing the DRM, after that yes Book Reader is very much recomended, its the best E-Book reader on the PB IMO.
    03-20-12 11:59 AM
    Book Reader doesn't support PDF's unless i'm missing something, and no it wont help him with his DRM books, but i'd highly recomend downloading Calibre on the PC for managing his E-Books and for removing the DRM, after that yes Book Reader is very much recomended, its the best E-Book reader on the PB IMO.
    You can remove DRMs with calibre? I did not know that. How?
    Last edited by cmoibenlepro; 03-20-12 at 12:11 PM.
    03-20-12 12:05 PM
    You can remove DRMs with calibre? I did not know that. How?
    There is a plug in for DRM removal, install it and it should remove the DRM every time you add a book to calibre.
    03-20-12 01:32 PM
    Is it true? Is it easier to sideload books now with OS2.0? Is it possible to read books protected with Adobe Digital Editions
    Overdrive app handles DRM books well, and hooks up with libraries for e-books.
    03-20-12 01:50 PM
    Thanks everybody.
    03-20-12 03:20 PM
    I second the Book Reader endorsement. It doesn't read .Pdf but Calibre will convert those.
    03-20-12 03:53 PM
    A couple of more ebook readers that work well are GO Book and Moon+Reader.
    03-20-12 04:09 PM
    Moon Reader is what i use EVERYDAY. sideloading is VERY easy, but if you dont want to then the other suggested ones are just as good.

And i do believe that you are looking at it a little bit wrong. When you buy the PB you are not buying a $200 ereader. When you buy the Kobo Touch you are buying a EBOOK READER for $150. For an extra $50 you get everything the kobo touch can do AND the ability to play music and video on a great screen. to surf the web WITH flash and to do A LOT MORE!

I think if you look at it that way you are getting A LOT for just $50 extra!
    03-20-12 04:31 PM
    Moon Reader is what i use EVERYDAY. sideloading is VERY easy, but if you dont want to then the other suggested ones are just as good.

And i do believe that you are looking at it a little bit wrong. When you buy the PB you are not buying a $200 ereader. When you buy the Kobo Touch you are buying a EBOOK READER for $150. For an extra $50 you get everything the kobo touch can do AND the ability to play music and video on a great screen. to surf the web WITH flash and to do A LOT MORE!

My main problem with Moon Reader is its awful selection of fonts, this seems to be a problem with all Android readers i've tried (Go Book, Kindle, etc).
    03-20-12 07:28 PM

I understand that. But I wanted to know if the playbook is a good ereader.
    Of course I prefer a product that does everything, but if it does everything poorly then it's not interesting...

Thanks for your answers, it seems good.
    03-20-12 09:26 PM
    I understand that. But I wanted to know if the playbook is a good ereader.
    Of course I prefer a product that does everything, but if it does everything poorly then it's not interesting...

Thanks for your answers, it seems good.
    Looks like the most issue is the DRM, because for converting ebook formats, there is a free software called Calibre works really well, it can convert among mobi, epub, pdf perfectly.
    And there is a suite of DRM tools, including 12 tools which can nearly decrypt all the files from different store.
    BTW, the suite is on discount for $10 off.
    03-27-12 06:34 AM
    I hate people charging for what is, essentially, other people's work. Especially when it's available free. Companies like epubcor are a blight on the internet. Google Apprentice Alf's blog for calibre plugins.
    03-27-12 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD