I just got my 9860 yesterday & I LOVE it!! So glad I made the switch! It has been awful quiet in this forum so I thought I would add a little life to it.

I'm not due for an upgrade until next month, but I really wanted the 9860 but am also looking ahead to the BB10 phones. So, I bit the bullet & bought a used 9860 (in flawless condition) and I'm so happy I did!

It is SO much faster than the 9800! What I really love is how much smoother the scrolling is-rarely any checkerboarding! I also love the lack of physical keyboard-I never used it on my 9800. The lightness of the phone is really nice, too. The screen clarity!! Gorgeous!!

I was smart & read all of the threads on transferring everything from os6 to os7 & because I didn't transfer my apps but reinstalled them, it went fine.

I must say that I was disappointed to find that I had to re-purchase QuickLaunch & ShowMeTheImages, but I can live with that. I know the day is coming when MobiHand disappears for good.

Cheers, all!
    eclipse33 and edgarmarin100 like this.
    03-20-12 10:35 AM
    Congrads and glad to hear you're enjoying the phone! It's a great device!
    03-20-12 11:48 AM
    I also came from a 9800 to a 9860. I love it, specially the screen to me it looks better the the iphone. But I have to say, I really hope RIM works on the keyboard. It sucks, 7.1 made good improvements but I use my kids iphone and is day and night. I can't understand looking at it side by side with the iphone.. the iphone screen is 3.5" and the 9860 is 3.7" yet the keys on the 9860 are sooo close together and on the iphone they manage to be far apart.
    03-20-12 11:58 AM
    I also prefer the Torch 9860 over the slider devices... well ... congratulations! enjoy your new Blackberry!
    03-20-12 12:11 PM
    Its a great phone for sure! Enjoy it.
    03-20-12 12:37 PM
    Just wanted to add that I love the speakerphone & the call quality! What an improvement!

I know some are unimpressed with the plastic screen, but it reminds me a lot of the Pearl 8100 screen which I loved.
    03-20-12 02:16 PM
    I made the same switch, and love the 9860. We appear to be the cast offs of the RIM family (see EOL on certain carriers), but I think this phone is amazing for media.
    Lyls likes this.
    03-20-12 02:25 PM
    Hey OP....same switch here (9800 - 9860), you are right.....day and night differences with speed, responsiveness, call quality and speakerphone! 9860 ROCKS!!!!
    Lyls likes this.
    03-20-12 03:16 PM
    yes, re-purchasing quicklaunch was a bit annoying, and the fact that mobihand made the purchase a pain in the a$$, I ended up having to purchase again from appworld.
    03-20-12 06:13 PM
    I also came from a 9800 to a 9860. I love it, specially the screen to me it looks better the the iphone. But I have to say, I really hope RIM works on the keyboard. It sucks, 7.1 made good improvements but I use my kids iphone and is day and night. I can't understand looking at it side by side with the iphone.. the iphone screen is 3.5" and the 9860 is 3.7" yet the keys on the 9860 are sooo close together and on the iphone they manage to be far apart.
    Go landscape!!!! It is the best keyboard ever, and I had an iphone 4 for a year. Predictive is sweet!!!!
    I did the same and got a second hand, unlocked and unused (with the stickers still on) handset for a good price.
    After a few days playing with it, and addicted to it, I would pay full price. Freaking great phone.
    It is a shame the lack of support for BB from certain developers. Just Skype would do for me, I just do not get it.
    On the other hand, why is RIM not promoting and pushing this device harder? Some sales reps even told me that it had been discontinued, and T-Mobile UK does not even sell it. Most people do not know it and leave BB because they want big touch screens...
    03-20-12 06:31 PM
    Congrats and they are a nice phone no one knows about.
    Lyls likes this.
    03-20-12 06:35 PM
    Congrats!!

Now ur part of the Torch 50/60 club? Y do carriers feel the need to change the model # for the same phone? Damn Verizon and Sprint! Its stupid since both models are gsmcapable but I suppose the ATT and Tmo odels are gsm only?

Anyhows, congrats, itt is an awesome phone!
    Lyls likes this.
    03-20-12 08:29 PM
    Go landscape!!!! It is the best keyboard ever, and I had an iphone 4 for a year. Predictive is sweet!!!!
    I did the same and got a second hand, unlocked and unused (with the stickers still on) handset for a good price.
    After a few days playing with it, and addicted to it, I would pay full price. Freaking great phone.
    It is a shame the lack of support for BB from certain developers. Just Skype would do for me, I just do not get it.
    On the other hand, why is RIM not promoting and pushing this device harder? Some sales reps even told me that it had been discontinued, and T-Mobile UK does not even sell it. Most people do not know it and leave BB because they want big touch screens...
    When I originally looked into getting the phone, none of my local AT&T stores had it. It's an online only purchase. I don't get that at all! This is an amazing phone! I am so glad I got it.

As you all know, battery life doesn't compare to the 9800. Any tips on conserving? I've got my backlight set to 50, backlight timeout set to 10 seconds. I always exit out of apps properly (I don't even have BBM installed on it-don't use it), so my "always open" apps are what they should be-phone, messages, browser, home.

I've been reading up on QuickPull & do have that installed (I manually use it daily), but am willing to uninstall if it causes memory leaks on the 9860 (QuickLaunch has a built in rebooter I can always use).

Is there anything else I can do for battery life?

Thanks everyone!
    03-21-12 08:46 AM
    I would go with a lower backlight setting. Im at 10% and its plenty bright. Turn off automatic updates on Facebook and Twitter. I deleted social feeds entirely.

Don't get too down on your battery life for the first couple weeks, you are bound to be using the phone more than normal, or at least I was always looking for an excuse to use it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 09:27 AM
    Been awhile since I've posted, but Infiniti14, you were right. Battery life is fine for me now. I deleted the Social Feeds app a while ago, and I've always had FB/Twitter set to manual refresh. I get great battery life (didn't even change my backlight setting), and still no issues with my phone. It takes great photos, and it has a lock button that actually works! I don't even miss the ability to download different themes.

My phone has been so flawless that I actually forget to back it up on a regular basis! I used to do weekly backups, but now I'm only doing it once or twice a month (oops!).

Enjoy, everyone! I know I am!
    06-24-12 03:08 PM
    Hey I've posted another thread regarding 9800/10 vs 9860/50 cause I can't decided on which one to buy! The only thing I'm concerned with 9860 is typing. Im really, really stingy with typing and I've been a physical keyboard user ever since. I'm worried that the keyboard of 9860 won't live up to my expectations(which is that it would be as crisp and carefree as typing with an iPhone) if I buy it. Any feedback on this?? Thanks mate!
    06-24-12 09:28 PM
    Been awhile since I've posted, but Infiniti14, you were right. Battery life is fine for me now. I deleted the Social Feeds app a while ago, and I've always had FB/Twitter set to manual refresh. I get great battery life (didn't even change my backlight setting), and still no issues with my phone. It takes great photos, and it has a lock button that actually works! I don't even miss the ability to download different themes.

My phone has been so flawless that I actually forget to back it up on a regular basis! I used to do weekly backups, but now I'm only doing it once or twice a month (oops!).

Enjoy, everyone! I know I am!

Use BB protect and set it to daily backup. Set your BBM remote backup by registering an email address. This way you won't lose any important data on your BB, especially so when you've no time to sync via BB Desktop Software.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD