Hi,

My understanding is that the HotSpot feature will only work if you have a plan with your provider that allows for that service?

For example, when i turn mine on i get a message

Activation Required, Click to subscribe to a hotspot data plan...

So i take it, hot spot is great as long as the provider allows for it?

Cheers
    03-18-12 04:20 AM
    and apparently it is only licensed to one carrier per area. so if your in Canada you can only get it if you are with Rogers.
    03-18-12 05:31 AM
    No hope for us in the UK then :-)
    03-18-12 07:31 AM
    No hope for us in the UK then :-)
    contact your serive provider before u give up hope bro , see what they tell you
    03-18-12 08:10 AM
    and apparently it is only licensed to one carrier per area. so if your in Canada you can only get it if you are with Rogers.
    WiFi Calling is currently only available from Rogers in Canada. Mobile HotSpot will work with any of the big 3, provided your data plan includes tethering. Telus includes tethering in most, if not all their data plans. I'm not sure about Rogers and Bell.... I think they include it in some, and it's an add-on for others.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    03-18-12 11:00 AM
    Yea careful when they say "Unlimited Data and Text"...that still does not include Tethering with Bell. I racked an $11,000 bill This is easy when they charge $6/mb...

This was part of a very large corporate account and they forgave the bill as long as it was switched to an unlimited Tethering plan @ $35 per month.
    03-18-12 11:41 AM
    Yea careful when they say "Unlimited Data and Text"...that still does not include Tethering with Bell. I racked an $11,000 bill This is easy when they charge $6/mb...

This was part of a very large corporate account and they forgave the bill as long as it was switched to an unlimited Tethering plan @ $35 per month.
    holy...bet you had a multiple stroke when you opened that bill
    03-18-12 12:56 PM

Oh my goodness. I would have died of heart attack on the spot.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-18-12 12:59 PM
    So it would seem that you can only use HotSpot if your provider allows it, it would appear to be something separate to having BIS on your handset.
    03-18-12 01:48 PM
    Well I didn't open the bill myself...it goes to our Admins. I only started looking in to it when I found out that some one else in the company, who is in a different city, got a 10k bill.

I then started to look into it myself and eventually got a hold of a Bell rep who told me the news...yea, my mouth got dry and my chest caved in.

I called my Manager and he laughed...I guess I have built up some "equity" with him. He told me to not worry, it will be taken care of and to stop the tethering. Later he called and said that I now have tethering on my account and to not let on to others in the company that I have it.

So in the end I got rewarded for not following phone use policy. I have done well for him and the company and never complain so I guess that goes far with him. I think however I have used up all the good will I have earned...better be careful now.
    03-18-12 02:28 PM
    I think however I have used up all the good will I have earned...better be careful now.
    ya thats a really good idea
    03-18-12 04:21 PM
    Im with mobilicity. I used it when i was @ yyz. Works great.
    03-18-12 07:48 PM
    Anyone succesfully got wifi hotspot working with wind mobile? My sister in law just got a 9810 with wind mobile and I want to know if I upgrade her to .267 if the wifi hotspot will work like it does on my telus 9900?.
    03-18-12 08:13 PM
    Anyone succesfully got wifi hotspot working with wind mobile? My sister in law just got a 9810 with wind mobile and I want to know if I upgrade her to .267 if the wifi hotspot will work like it does on my telus 9900?.
    yes...ive had hotspot on Wind with .190, .258 and now .284 .
    the hotspot wind id is internet.windmobile.ca
    03-18-12 08:18 PM
    I have hotspot working on Wind's update (non leaked)
    03-18-12 08:21 PM
    Thanks guys! You both were prompted and had to use the wind internet id internet.windmobile.ca ? No password is required? I wasn't prompted to enter and internet id or pw when I setup hotspot on my telus 9900 that's why I'm asking.
    03-18-12 08:32 PM
    Hotspot doesn't even show up as an option on my phone, neither does wifi calling. With LIME in Barbados.
    03-18-12 08:35 PM
    Thanks guys! You both were prompted and had to use the wind internet id internet.windmobile.ca ? No password is required? I wasn't prompted to enter and internet id or pw when I setup hotspot on my telus 9900 that's why I'm asking.
    initially when i set it up it takes u to a login screen where u have to input internet.windmobile.ca . if i remember correctly thats all u enter on that screen, then on the next screen it asks u to set up a password so nobody else can use your hotspot if they are close by. then youre good to go
    03-18-12 09:42 PM
    I select hot spot and it starts to load then i get a screen asking to continue to sign up to a plan, but because my network (Orange UK) doesn't support BB HotSpot function yet it doesn't work.
    03-19-12 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD