I love the playbook more than anyone out there. I'm a passionate Canadian and so I am passionate about anything to to with Canada from Tim Hortons to RIM. I have filled my pb with many apps and there are a ton of things to do on it. But there are some vital apps missing like Skype and a proper twitter application. Why have we gotten them yet? And does anyone know anything about these 2 and other major missing apps?
    03-17-12 12:18 AM
    I love the playbook more than anyone out there. I'm a passionate Canadian and so I am passionate about anything to to with Canada from Tim Hortons to RIM. I have filled my pb with many apps and there are a ton of things to do on it. But there are some vital apps missing like Skype and a proper twitter application. Why have we gotten them yet? And does anyone know anything about these 2 and other major missing apps?
    For Twitter, have you tried Blaq. I don't use it myself but I've heard it's good.

As for Skype, you are not alone ....
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-17-12 12:22 AM
    Lack of Skype is definitely a PB killer right now. It has to be in the top 2 of items costing RIM PB sales even after 2.0.

They need to right that ship yesterday.
    03-17-12 12:25 AM
    Have you tried the twitter app "blaq" ? This older vid will give you an idea on what to expect from Blaq. We did get an update feb 23rd v1.7
    I'm not much of a tweeter but I do enjoy this app a lot.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KbMMTVTFc[/YT]
    Last edited by EricB1968; 03-17-12 at 12:34 AM.
    03-17-12 12:27 AM
    i use blaq and i can't imagine a better twitter app. i think it was the third twitter app i tried, including one free one and one purchased one before it, and i no longer have any need to try another
    EricB1968 likes this.
    03-17-12 12:30 AM
    Blaq is a pretty dam good twitter app. Highly recommended!
    03-17-12 01:25 AM
    ^ disregard the application 'blaq' or even 'tweetbook' because with 2.0 and android apps get the twitter.bar (the twitter for android) its the best ever! Give it a go
    03-17-12 04:22 AM
    Let it go, just let it go, we can make it with out Skype. Blaq works fine. PlayBook is a piece of fine Canadian technology that is being copied by everyone else and if Netflix and Skype cannot see the value of making apps for their products for PB. Well we keep moving forward and cut down the Apple trees.
    alnamvet68 and Michelle Haag like this.
    03-17-12 05:34 AM
    I don't get the hype about Skype. It really isn't that good of a video chat client. I have it on my PC and it doesn't work that well. It frequently lags and sometimes locks up completely. I guess it's just the cross platform capability that people want. Reelportal works better on my PlayBook than Skype does on my computer.
    03-17-12 05:37 AM
    I am also a proud Canadian but also a practical one. You do know that Tim Horton's is owned by Wendys corporation? Well Skype is now owned by Micro$oft. Since they are trying to compete in a world where everyone wants to sell you portable device with services that lock you into their hardware and software environment, how long do you think skype will remain cross platform? Is Rim's video chat or Apple's Facetime ever likely to be?
    03-17-12 06:41 AM
    As others have suggested Blaq is a good alternative twitter client or you could go with the Android twitter client. As for Skype one can only hope that one day it or some other cross platform video chat client makes it to our platform.
    03-17-12 07:12 AM
    I'll just come out and say it....if Skype is so damned important to you, why on earth did you buy a playbook?
    03-17-12 07:23 AM
    I'll just come out and say it....if Skype is so damned important to you, why on earth did you buy a playbook?
    RIM putting out mock screen shots of App World running on Playbook with an app named Skype with the actual Skype logo before the Playbook was released didn't muddy the waters?!?!
    ibaboun likes this.
    03-17-12 07:47 AM
    I don't get the hype about Skype. It really isn't that good of a video chat client. I have it on my PC and it doesn't work that well. It frequently lags and sometimes locks up completely. I guess it's just the cross platform capability that people want. Reelportal works better on my PlayBook than Skype does on my computer.
    have you learned nothing from nearly every venture in the technology industry? you don't have to be the best you just have to be the first to saturate the market, and that's what they did. therefore, skype is the standard.
    03-17-12 08:21 AM
    Actually, people NOT buying the Playbook for this reason is the very problem, and I know a few. Mind you, I am one who thoroughly believes Skype is not a necessity on a mobile device, and these same people that ran out and paid handsomely for an ipad just because "it has Skype", also have a laptop/desktop in thier home/work/hotel.

That doesn't matter though. If profit and sales are your motives, then you need to appeal to these sheeple so thier device has all the junk the other devices have.
    03-17-12 06:31 PM
    Blaq is the best twitter app available. Its not perfect, but they bring a lot of updates and theyre very easy to get a hold of if you have any inquiries or issues.
    03-17-12 10:04 PM
    I'd just like to point out that twitter app we have is actually just a homescreen favorited webpage. :P (the one that comes on it that is)
    03-17-12 11:44 PM
    Pity RIM took just one step to integrate Twitter into the messages app and not the whole way so we could have received mentions and tweeted from it, it's pretty pointless just for DM imho that said, I agree Blaq is the best one out there for Twitter, and since the recent update the led notifications are something to get excited about
    03-18-12 08:34 AM
    Blaq is great and all but it has its share of bugs and it's quite the memory hog...
    03-18-12 09:59 AM
    Why can't RIM release an app into Apple's appworld and Androids market for video chatting in RIM's video chat app? Wouldn't that make more sense?
    03-18-12 04:27 PM
    Skype is sorely needed, but I doubt it will come to PB anytime soon
    03-18-12 04:44 PM
    Why can't RIM release an app into Apple's appworld and Androids market for video chatting in RIM's video chat app? Wouldn't that make more sense?
    And a PC client with video conferencing support.
    03-18-12 04:45 PM
    ^^ that too! And then they shouldn't release the app to Microsoft app market lol
    03-18-12 05:04 PM
    Skype will probably come out when the 4G PB comes out.
    03-18-12 07:02 PM
    Purchased my playbook expecting Skype and Netflix to be an option, since they are not available my PB is a paperweight. RIM messed up big time.
    03-18-12 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD