So, I got a PlayBook today. Really like the design.

A couple of issues.

First, during setup it didn't populate the country field. After a reboot, it did. I downloaded Asphalt 6 just fine from App World. Now App World does this when I start it:

More pressing is this - this red line is appearing in the upper right corner. What's up with that?

Last edited by coalesce99; 03-16-12 at 10:03 PM.
    03-16-12 09:56 PM
    Red line in upper left corner tells you there are messages of some sort ready for you.
    03-16-12 10:02 PM
    First, that red line would be the upper left corner, and it has to do with the native messenger. As far as your country field not being populated, there's a good chance it was populated with a country that does not support the apps or app world. I would touch the cog wheel in the upper right corner, and scroll down to language and make sure your country is US and your language is English.
    03-16-12 10:05 PM
    Red line in upper left corner tells you there are messages of some sort ready for you.
    Wow I feel like an id!ot now.

Oh well. Thanks everybody for dealing with my ignorance.

A reboot fixed the "country" problem. It looks like others have experienced that from time to time.
    Last edited by coalesce99; 03-16-12 at 10:12 PM.
    03-16-12 10:08 PM
    Well, the red glow is your notification status. As for App World, that should be set up once the initial setup completed. Go to the link to download it if you can There are many more knowledgeable people on here who might have specific steps to help you. Good luck!
    03-16-12 10:10 PM
    I had the country issue twice, no biggie, reset fixed as it did for you! Congratulations on your new Playbook! If you have any questions you're in the right place. Enjoy!!!
    03-16-12 10:11 PM
    Glad you got everything sorted out. Congrats on your new PlayBook, pull up a couch and get comfortable...there's a lot to see here on Crackberry. Enjoy
    03-16-12 10:13 PM
    Perhaps RIM could include a paper quick guide to the playbook, the notification indicator has caught a few new users out now.
    03-17-12 02:17 AM
    Perhaps RIM could include a paper quick guide to the playbook, the notification indicator has caught a few new users out now.
    Yeah...I have read at least one review where it was being described as a bug.
    03-17-12 04:24 AM
    Those whom jump to conclusions without any thought are doomed to play the role of the village . Agreed, as part of the set-up tutorial there should be a brief mention of the notification illumination in the upper left corner if only to prevent a lawsuit from a litigious Yankee.
    03-17-12 04:55 AM
    You can change how the Playbook notifications work in "settings" "sounds and notifications". Choices are Glow only, LED only, or both.
    03-17-12 07:55 AM
    I'm noticing that whenever I try to put it in Standby that it is just restarting. Anyone else noticing this?
    03-17-12 08:25 AM
    I'm noticing that whenever I try to put it in Standby that it is just restarting. Anyone else noticing this?
    Press on the battery indicator and use the options there.
    The power app has a known bug and should be deleted.
    03-17-12 08:30 AM
    What's the consensus on screen protectors? I'm having a heckuva time getting the one that came w/ my incipio silicrylic on there. I can't seem to get the tiny specks of dust off of it no matter what i do. They cause the bubbles...
    At this point I'm thinking of breaking down and paying best buy to do it.

Are screen protectors even necessary anymore?
    03-17-12 08:55 AM
    What's the consensus on screen protectors? I'm having a heckuva time getting the one that came w/ my incipio silicrylic on there. I can't seem to get the tiny specks of dust off of it no matter what i do. They cause the bubbles...
    At this point I'm thinking of breaking down and paying best buy to do it.

Are screen protectors even necessary anymore?
    There's a current thread "I scratched me screen..." or similar. Your choice. Working in a moist bathroom can keep dust down while you apply a protector. Also, one suggestion I've seen is to have a piece of scotch tape handy. Roll back the protector and just dab the sticky tape against the dust spot. Also to help alignment, one guy made tape hinges, aligning one side, creating the hinges and then slowly lowering the protector down.
    03-17-12 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD