Received a text from Boost today with a link to a notice about Nextel service being dropped here in April. I am in the Atlanta metro area and you would think this would be considered a major market and it would be next year or so before they did this here.

Oh well, I guess its time to let go of my beloved 8350i! We had a great run!

boost(dot)tmce(dot)biz/wap4?app=whatsnew&c=bst&NEXT=SMS193

We are in the process of making changes to our networks. As a customer who has an iDEN Series device that operates on the Nextel National Network, we want to ensure you're aware of the changes we are making to our networks, as they could impact your wireless experience beginning April 2012.

Thinking of upgrading? Now is the time! The good news is that we will be improving our CDMA Nationwide Sprint Network to make it even better and we are inviting you to get a new CMDA Series phone to experience the difference. Boost expects a significant improvement in customers' 3G network experience including expanded coverage, improved network reliability, better voice quality, and faster 3G data speeds.

As a valued customer, we would like to offer you 50% off a CDMA Series phone.

Here is how you can upgrade now:

- Go to www(dot)boostmobile(dot)com/phones Prepaid Phones – Android, Smartphone, Qwerty, Camera | Boost Mobile | Boost Mobile
    - Choose a phone that runs on the CDMA Nationwide Sprint Network such as our $99 ANDROID, the Samsung Replenish TM (excludes taxes)
    - Enter the promo code from your text message before you check out and you will get your discount instantly

If you have questions, please contact Boost at 1-888-266-7848.

Limited total number of upgrade offers available. Valid through July 15, 2012 or until eligible upgrade offers are depleted. Only available directly from Boost Mobile and only available at boostmobile.com. Only 1 per active Boost Mobile account and phone number. Discount not available with the ZTE Warp. Offer is not combinable with any other offer. Offer subject to change without prior notice. Offer not available in all markets and retail stores.
    For those that are on the Monthly Unlimited with Shrinkage, apparently you will keep your shrinkage discount if you purchase a phone with a data plan like Android Unlimited. If your like me and only paying $35/mo then switching to the Android Unlimited will be $10 more. I guess that's ok compared to the difference in the data speed iDen vs 3G.

I guess I need to give Boost some credit for making progress and changes to the network. The original text message that was sent to me included a unique code that was good for 50% off the purchase of a new CDMA Boost phone. Its my understanding that when they take down the Nextel towers they are also going to upgrade the CDMA/3G towers at the same time.
    Last edited by Mreinstin; 03-16-12 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention promo code in the original txt msg from Boost
    03-16-12 07:34 PM
    I was JUST wondering about this the other day... when (and if) the Nextel shutdown would still happen by 2013 as forecasted last year. It sounds like it's certainly going to happen.

I wonder if Sprint will be rolling out a PTT option to replace Nextel's trademark "chirp" utility? Or maybe that trend will go by the wayside, to be replaced by the now-common unlimited talk minutes. I do know that Nextel Group Talk chirp networks are used a lot out "in the field" and would be missed.

For those that are on the Monthly Unlimited with Shrinkage, apparently you will keep your shrinkage discount if you purchase a phone with a data plan like Android Unlimited. If your like me and only paying $35/mo then switching to the Android Unlimited will be $10 more. I guess that's ok compared to the difference in the data speed iDen vs 3G.
    This is pretty decent news, and what I was hoping to hear. So $45/month for unlimited 3G, or I wonder if there will be data caps? One of my 8350i's is on Shrinkage (currently at $40 monthly) and the other is per-minute prepaid.

a unique code that was good for 50% off the purchase of a new CDMA Boost phone.
    More good news. I really didn't want to be forced into buying a $300 phone just to keep my monthly rate with Boost.

Thanks for the update!
    03-17-12 01:10 AM
    I bread Sprint was going to have a ptt because my dad refuses to give his up although he pretty much has to call everyone any way LOL. He said sprint mailed him something that said they were bit will see I guess.
    04-02-12 06:10 PM
    Finally a recent story on the shutdown:

Sprint gets the Nextel monkey off its back [CNET, Feb 2012]

"Sprint Nextel is taking the first steps toward finally shedding the Nextel iDEN network, which has been nothing but a financial and operational drain on the company." (click headline link for more)

And see this website for tracking the planned Nextel shutdown in your area... sprint.com/nextelnetwork
    Last edited by scottydl; 04-02-12 at 10:30 PM.
    04-02-12 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD