My update got stuck at the backup step. It was at "180 of 550" SMS messages. It was stuck here over night. I had to unplug the phone to go to work.

Are there any tricks to making the update go quicker or prevent the process from stalling? Removing the SD card maybe or deleting the text messages saved on my phone?

This will be the third time I'm updating the OS and each time takes longer and longer (ultimately freezing the third time).

Any suggestions?
    03-16-12 12:44 PM
    Mine frooze a bunch of times as well at the SMS part!! So frustrating why cant things just go flawlessly for once RIM like really!!!
    03-16-12 08:41 PM
    I tried again just now and it froze when backing up my 'MMS Options'.

I'm trying once more right now and its froze on 'Options 13 of 20 items'.

This is really frustrating. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
    03-18-12 03:20 PM
    I understand from some other posts that this is being caused by the "social feeds" (mine is stuck there). I don't even use them

Mine is now stuck in a loop. The backup process has started and there is no way for me to break out of it, since even a battery pull just results in it restarting the backup process that is taking forever. I am just hopeful that it will eventually break out of the backup process on it's own, and then not have other issues further in the update process.
    03-21-12 09:19 AM
    Anyone experience this?

Im on a Mac and I'm trying to Update my Bold 9900 (Virgin Mobile Canada) from 7.0 bundle 2406 to os 7.1 bundle 921. I've looked long and hard, but can't seem to find anyone with this problem. As I try to update, it backs up the device no problem, then it begins downloading, but gets stuck with 128 files remaining and eventually cancels. Anyone else have this problem or know whats wrong and can help me out?
    03-21-12 10:43 PM
    I understand from some other posts that this is being caused by the "social feeds" (mine is stuck there). I don't even use them

Mine is now stuck in a loop. The backup process has started and there is no way for me to break out of it, since even a battery pull just results in it restarting the backup process that is taking forever. I am just hopeful that it will eventually break out of the backup process on it's own, and then not have other issues further in the update process.
    hello
    i face the same problem, how did u fixed it ?
    Regards
    04-07-12 12:13 AM
    Try to find in your PC's a XML files named "vendor.xml".
    After that plug in your bb and turn on blackberry dektop software. Should be work.
    04-15-12 01:00 PM
    It took me 3 hours to update my phone to 7.1.... afterwards my bb has been freezing or reacting very slow......
    05-07-12 09:51 PM
    I tried to update to 7.1 for the past weeks, but it freezes on backup

But now, i just updated my bb9900 to 7.1 - no freezing! here's what I did:

I deleted the social feeds app (I never used it anyway) under options>device>application management
    Backed-up my data then updated! took me about 15-30 mins to finish the update
    05-21-12 08:53 AM
    Deleting the social feeds did the trick it fixed the back up and the device updated Normally thanks
    06-18-12 02:22 PM
    how do i get out of the update progress screen to delete social feeds? i can't do anything except turn the phone on/off
    11-21-12 01:10 AM
    I have had the same problem! I can't cancel it! So peeved off with it all, I thought it would be easy! Can anyone suggest anything?
    11-27-12 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD