View Poll Results: What's your power consumption overnight (8-10 hours) in Standby?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mine has always used 2-6%

71 60.68%
  • Mine has always used >6%

11 9.40%
  • Mine used 2-6% before 2.0 but >6% after updating

8 6.84%
  • Mine used >6% before 2.0 but 2-6% after updating

2 1.71%
  • I wish! Mine uses 25% or more overnight!

7 5.98%
  • No idea, never measured, power off overnight, or don't care

18 15.38%
    To help investigate the issue with "excessive" standby power consumption, please respond based on your experience before updating to the final 2.0 release, and your experience since. If you regular disable WiFi or enable airplane mode, respond based on what you'd see if you did not do that.

If you have purchased Battery Guru, 2-6% should correspond to seeing Power readings around 0.060W when you swipe the tablet back on in the morning after an 8-10h period. If you generally see values more like "0.225W" your tablet has what I'm calling "excessive" power consumption.

Before voting, please check whether you've been using the "Manual" setting for email synchronization. If you have excessive power consumption and are using that setting, you should change it for now as it's a known (possible) cause of trouble.

If you generally don't concern yourself with overnight drain, please either respond "no idea" or be sure to adjust your best guess to match the 8-10h duration for the measurements.
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-16-12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added note re airplane mode
    03-16-12 10:30 AM
    Three email accounts via imap, set to push and check every 15 minutes.
    64GB bridged all the time, wifi on all the time and wifi sharing enabled all the time.
    1-4% overnight in standby.

One email account via imap set to push and check every 15 minutes.
    16GB wifi on, not bridged and wifi sharing enabled all the time.
    1-4% in standby overnight.

I observed that it is pretty much identical between OS1 and OS2. The wake-up swipe usually says 0.06-0.07W.
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 03-16-12 at 10:38 AM.
    03-16-12 10:36 AM
    It was 4-5% a night on OS 1.8 and with all email set to push its 5-7% on official OS 2
    03-16-12 10:44 AM
    I have to amend that 90% of the time the drain is at 3%. Occasionally I see only 1-2% for some reason as well as 4% and once 5%. But 3% is the general rule. That is on both of my PB's even though one is never bridged.
    On the bridged one when I leave for work and take the Torch with me, I don't turn BT off on the PB and doesn't seem to make it any worse either.
    03-16-12 10:45 AM
    It was 4-5% a night on OS 1.8 and with all email set to push its 5-7% on official OS 2
    For the record, that should be considered 2-6% in both cases then.

I should have left the original choices I had with 2-6% and >10%, since I wanted to ensure a "binary" choice between those. :-(
    03-16-12 10:49 AM
    Are we talking about connections on or airplane mode?

I checked this morning after reading the post on hibernation.
    After 5 minutes or so coming out of standby:
    .05- Airplane mode
    .07- Connections on and connected

So that seems similar to ralfyguy but I lose about 1% per hour with connections on and about 2% during my short slumber (4-5 hours) in airplane mode.
    03-16-12 10:51 AM
    Hmm... I really screwed up by ignoring the fact that many have >10% with WiFi on, but 2-6% once they enable airplane mode. :-(

I recommend anyone who can only get in the 2-6% range by enabling airplane mode (or disabling WiFi) vote for one of the ">6%" options.
    03-16-12 10:53 AM
    I get 5-7 consistently. I always have BT going through my torch. Last night did not charge it, 61 at night, 54 this morning. I have streamed through my PB and left it running on my TV all night and still not dead in the morning starting with a 30% charge before movie. I've notices that screen brightness is the big determining factor with mine. That seems obvious but it drops like a rock if screens turned way up.
    03-16-12 10:54 AM
    Are we talking about connections on or airplane mode?
    So that seems similar to ralfyguy but I lose about 1% per hour with connections on and about 2% during my short slumber (4-5 hours) in airplane mode.
    Heh. See my post above... for now, pretend airplane mode doesn't exist and vote as you would if you never used it.

My guess is that what we'll soon conclude is that those with excessive drain experience it only with WiFi enabled (airplane mode off).

This first (hopefully not completely botched) attempt to collect data was intended to be just a first foray to establish how widespread the issue is. Are we talking 5% of people, 25%, or more than half? I've been assuming it's pretty low... (and yes, I know, self-selecting polls like this are hardly scientific no matter how you do it).
    03-16-12 10:56 AM
    I've notices that screen brightness is the big determining factor with mine. That seems obvious but it drops like a rock if screens turned way up.
    (That's certainly true, but for purposes of this survey of course brightness doesn't matter, as the screen is never on in standby.)
    03-16-12 10:57 AM
    For the record, that should be considered 2-6% in both cases then.

I should have left the original choices I had with 2-6% and >10%, since I wanted to ensure a "binary" choice between those. :-(
    I certainly dont think mine is excessive, its about the same as my transformer and even my nexus. I would say it appears to be more than OS 1 though
    03-16-12 10:59 AM
    On my original 32gig, 18% lost last night between 10pm and 7am.

I have NO email setup on it. It is "paired with my 9930" but that connection is DISconnected, so the BT symbol is white (no connection). I leave wifi ON.

Not much on it since it was updated to OS2. It never had the beta or Android on it under OS1.x

It has always lost power on Standby. Only 3rd party app at the moment is Battery Guru.

-------

My 64gig rarely loses much overnight on standby and BT and Wifi remain ON.
    03-16-12 11:02 AM
    F2, and you've got one other one which is fine, right? Leave WiFi on all the time and only a few percent overnight?

I wish the poll let us vote once per tablet, but obviously that would be hard to do without the risk of people vote-stuffing to vandalize it.

Personally, I've used/set-up/handed-out 8 units so far, and not one of them has shown any sign of excessive consumption.

I guess if you have multiple devices and even one is "bad" this way, vote based on it but make a comment here... The main goal is to establish what ratio of bad to good we're talking about, but people with at least one of each could be very helpful in helping us analyze root causes so post here if you'll "volunteer" to be pestered in future with the odd suggestion for an experiment etc. :-)
    03-16-12 11:14 AM
    I'm no help in this one. I leave my PB on the dock charger at night when in standby! Mind you Battery Guru is enabled as well ... so in the morning it always reads 100%!
    03-16-12 11:15 AM
    1% - 2% on standby with wi-fi and e-mail (auto?). This average is for both OS 2.0 and 1.0.
    03-16-12 11:17 AM
    Don't know I'm always charging overnight and I don't leave it plugged in long at other times.
    03-16-12 11:29 AM
    I'm no help in this one. I leave my PB on the dock charger at night when in standby! Mind you Battery Guru is enabled as well ... so in the morning it always reads 100%!
    Of course, the whole "overnight" thing is just a crude guide to help people who don't have Battery Guru. It's not actually important that it's overnight...

Battery Guru users can always respond if they've ever noticed their standby consumption even over a few minutes during the day. Or just do a quick export and look for the low-power periods.

If you see <0.1W power, you can safely vote "2-6%" since that's where you'd be overnight.

If you see more like 0.25W, then vote for the appropriate >6% categories.
    03-16-12 11:35 AM
    F2 is that 32GB the one you already debricked once and started from scratch?
    03-16-12 11:50 AM
    F2, and you've got one other one which is fine, right? Leave WiFi on all the time and only a few percent overnight?

I wish the poll let us vote once per tablet, but obviously that would be hard to do without the risk of people vote-stuffing to vandalize it.

Personally, I've used/set-up/handed-out 8 units so far, and not one of them has shown any sign of excessive consumption.

I guess if you have multiple devices and even one is "bad" this way, vote based on it but make a comment here... The main goal is to establish what ratio of bad to good we're talking about, but people with at least one of each could be very helpful in helping us analyze root causes so post here if you'll "volunteer" to be pestered in future with the odd suggestion for an experiment etc. :-)
    The newer, 64gig, seems fine overnight. Loses very little. It was charging last night but it is not the one I am concerned about.

The 32, my original has always lost considerable power on standby overnight. About 18% if my memory is okay. Let's see. Down to 76% since 10pm last night. It is doing nothing other than having Battery Guru running. I checked it around 7am, let it drop into Standby and just awoke it. So another drop doing nothing.
    03-16-12 12:00 PM
    F2 is that 32GB the one you already debricked once and started from scratch?
    Yes. It had a Security Wipe due to Backup problems. Then a Debrick. Then OS2. Again, never was Rooted, Beta-ed, or Androided!

Funny, its Battery Health is better than the newer 64 gig (and the 64 gig does quite well on standby overnight or in general).
    03-16-12 12:04 PM
    Yes. It had a Security Wipe due to Backup problems. Then a Debrick. Then OS2. Again, never was Rooted, Beta-ed, or Androided!

Funny, its Battery Health is better than the newer 64 gig (and the 64 gig does quite well on standby overnight or in general).
    OK try this: I assume you updated to OS2. Do a debrick again. The method with shutting down the PB and then connect to DM, not the connect first and then reboot method.
    I like that one better as it gives you back the demo video as well.

I debricked mine to give it a virgin OS2 install and I could swear that everything seems to run a little better. Besides before (after updating to OS2) I could not get down to 1-2% discharge, more like at least 3-5%. Which in itself isn't bad, but it's even better now.
    03-16-12 12:45 PM
    1% - 2% on standby with wi-fi and e-mail (auto?). This average is for both OS 2.0 and 1.0.
    Same here for our two at home and 6 of 7 at work. The one at work is draining about 13% with wifi and email/calendar push on. The others are always in the same configuration but only draining 1 to 2% while on standby. With OS2, I seem to have picked up another couple of hours before I hit 25%. I'll try the odd one with everything off for a day and see if there is a change.
    03-16-12 01:03 PM
    Of course, the whole "overnight" thing is just a crude guide to help people who don't have Battery Guru. It's not actually important that it's overnight...

Battery Guru users can always respond if they've ever noticed their standby consumption even over a few minutes during the day. Or just do a quick export and look for the low-power periods.

If you see <0.1W power, you can safely vote "2-6%" since that's where you'd be overnight.

If you see more like 0.25W, then vote for the appropriate >6% categories.
    Okay ... so this morning when I left the house, it was at 95% [I think] and it's now at 92% with power reading of 1.48 W ... it's been on standby all day thus far ... so where does that put me? [You can see why I rely on Battery Guru can't you? I'm hopeless with this sort of thing ... obviously!]

Oh ... Wifi and BT are enabled ... if that's pertinent ...
    03-16-12 01:14 PM
    Here is a question, what is everyones application behavior set to?
    03-16-12 01:16 PM
    1-3% pre-2.0. Now it's in the 2-6 range (certainly higher than 1-3%). I haven't yet voted, though. I'll test it the next couple of days to get a more precise reading.
    03-16-12 01:17 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD