Previously, I did a small test on my personal usage and posted online.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-704755/

The research was pretty consistent as I am able to repeat it and get about the same results.

Now, I got amazing battery life performance and I dont know what causes it! The only thing I did was terminate my Blackberry Service and sign up again.

On my previous plan, my drain rate on idle on 3G was about 4%/hr with WIFI off, Battery Saving Off. Now, I am getting about 1.5% with all the same settings...

I know this post is pretty much useless since there is no solution for you to get the results that I am getting but I am just happy about it and would like to share with you guys

- Charles
    03-13-12 07:43 PM
    I have had my 9900 for a month now and the battery life has steadily increased. At first the thing would be discharged to 25-30% during the course of a 12 hour work day. At work its bridged to my Playbook constantly, has -77 dBm signal on 4g and has wireless on using works Wifi. (I never can remember to turn things on and off) During the day I do light texting..make and receive several short phone calls...minimal browsing. I use the Playbook for calendar and contact functions during the day..easier on my old eyeballs!

After a month battery life has steadily improved. I now usually have around 60% left at the end of 12 hours...I have no explanation. I have made no efforts to increase battery life. I just plug it in at night when i go to bed. At first when battery life was draining faster I would plug it in on the drive home and when I got home. Now it stays juiced up enough that I just plug it in when I go to bed, I know that these batteries aren't supposed to have a "break-in" period, but my experience sure feels like they do. Anybody else have the same experience?
    03-13-12 08:56 PM
    It's a miracle!
    03-13-12 08:58 PM
    Chad,
    How you terminate Blackberry service?
    03-13-12 10:30 PM
    Chad,
    How you terminate Blackberry service?
    I just call them up to terminate it. To sign up, I follow the SIM menu *363#

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 03-13-12 at 10:59 PM.
    03-13-12 10:56 PM
    I too have experience better battery life after about a month of use. One thing I've done consistently has been to charge every night.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-13-12 11:40 PM
    It's a miracle. I'm with the bold (7.1.0.267) since the last 3-4 days and facing severe battery drain issues at 8-10% / hr. This with minimal usage. WIFI is ON only at nights when it's being charged - else, BT is OFF, auto-dim is ON, Backlight set at 10, battery saving to 'always on' etc..

Am hoping a miracle happens (settling period of the device... if it's true) and battery life improves with time..
    03-14-12 05:05 AM
    The one thing I've noticed with my phone is that I get serious battery drain for the first 20% or so (I'll lose that in a couple of hours), but then it sharply drops to between 1-3% after that. Yesterday it took four hours to drop from 55% to 40%, but I've had my phone off the charger for an hour and it's gone from 100% to 90%.

I don't mind too much, as long as I can make it through the work day, which I haven't had trouble with yet.

JB
    03-14-12 06:26 AM
    Now, I got amazing battery life performance and I dont know what causes it! The only thing I did was terminate my Blackberry Service and sign up again.
    - Charles
    At any point did you declaim in a commanding voice; "Deeeeeemons........OUUUUT!!!!!" ?
    axllebeer and bigbamboo like this.
    03-14-12 06:31 AM
    well i hope that some of the experiences above come my way. i've had my 9900 for around 2 weeks and last 24 hours have had the worst battery life possible. Fully charged @ 11pm last night, by 06:40 this morning, it was down to 45%!! And it was doing nothing all night, just the alarm. It is now completely flat, after just 13 hours. Only had a 2 minute phone call and 6 texts...what is this all about?? Surely RIM should be held accountable over fraud...phone specs are something like 300 hours on stand by, not 300 minutes.. Not happy...and yes, I have already purchased a spare battery and charger so I'm prepared for claims not being lived up to.....but less than 24 hours has to be wrong. I even have issues with the PB on OS2....
    Can't RIM take some action here?
    03-14-12 07:50 AM
    It's a miracle. I'm with the bold (7.1.0.267) since the last 3-4 days and facing severe battery drain issues at 8-10% / hr. This with minimal usage. WIFI is ON only at nights when it's being charged - else, BT is OFF, auto-dim is ON, Backlight set at 10, battery saving to 'always on' etc..

Am hoping a miracle happens (settling period of the device... if it's true) and battery life improves with time..
    Try disabling Battery Saving Mode and you might see an increase in battery life. Look at my original post where I did a small research on battery usage. Also, turning on WIFI with your GSM radio on might actually drain more battery

- Charles
    03-14-12 10:07 AM
    At any point did you declaim in a commanding voice; "Deeeeeemons........OUUUUT!!!!!" ?
    I think I did

- Charles
    03-14-12 10:08 AM
    sorry to be a little stupid but where is battery saving mode?
    03-14-12 10:42 AM
    Only available on newer 7.1 firmware

- charles
    mralxak likes this.
    03-17-12 11:42 AM
    Later 7.1 operating systems and a 3 dollar charger does it for me. Its a shame RIM hobbled battery life on the OS7 devices with a substandard charger and immature firmware when they were released. Now poor battery life has become an urban ledgend that will plague the 9900 until it is obsolete.
    03-17-12 11:48 AM
    My batt life still is crap. 10 hours max if most of the time it's on idle
    03-17-12 11:50 AM
    Later 7.1 operating systems and a 3 dollar charger does it for me.
    What charger do you use?

Thanks.
    03-17-12 12:40 PM
    Too bad the FCC dosesn't hold the phone manufacturers accountable to the claims of x hours standby/ x hours talk time, like the EPA holds the car makers to on the mileage estimates!
    03-17-12 03:13 PM
    Guys, I don't know why but really.. Immediately after I terminate my service and subscribe again, my battery life is super!! Even until today and even when I wipe my phone and load the new OS. The battery life is amazingly good!

I been using my phone since the launch of 9900 and getting poor battery life but now, I am super satisfied. Some say that I just need to wait for my battery to settle in etc but I been using it since last year and this battery been through drain and fully charged and still no improvement until I terminate my BB service and resubscribe again. There's no changes in the software or anything!!

- Charles
    03-23-12 09:22 PM
    I'm getting a better battery life after I switched off the Location Services
    03-24-12 03:35 AM
    I have a stock battery as well as a spare battery which was given to me by my carrier. I would say that the battery life has been quite ok on my 9900. I can normally make through a day with moderate usage. I can't help but notice that the spare battery tend to last a little bit longer than the one which came along with my phone.
    03-24-12 04:12 AM
    Same happened to me. I had 7.0 os upgraded to 7.1.0.267. The battery was just ok with 4/5 % drain per hour. I installed 7.1.0.284 and the battery drain was terrible (up to 10%/hr!). I have wiped the device with BBSAK and re-installked 7.1.0.267 and the drain was again around 4 %/hour. Removed apps from vodaphone (standard games: wordmole etc...) rebooted. No visible change in the batterie tests. After 48 hours without any reason the drain is now around 1.44%/hour !

Magic!
    Last edited by heliostone; 03-24-12 at 06:52 AM.
    03-24-12 06:50 AM
    I updated to 7.1.0.284 and after 12 hours I'm at 80%, usually I would be at 30-40% left and would die before bed time, now I can go 2 days without charging, and still have some juice left.
    03-24-12 10:35 AM
    I updated to 7.1.0.284 and after 12 hours I'm at 80%, usually I would be at 30-40% left and would die before bed time, now I can go 2 days without charging, and still have some juice left.
    .342 is pretty similar but took a good 24 hours to settle in with the usual battery pulls.

Seems like 7.1 is now at a point that anyone still on 7.0 should seriously consider updating.
    03-24-12 10:45 AM
    Ever notice that supplying your carrier, or whoever, with locational data, at no benefit to you, slows your phone down and drains your battery quicker?

Funny how that is usually set to "ON" after loading a new OS.

03-25-12 12:28 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD