So, I have had my PlayBook since December and I do NOT use it for work, but I do use it everyday. I don't keep any critical information on it. However, it's a device & I am wondering if the majority of PB owners actually Lock theirs down with a Password? I have read that if you enter the wrong PW too many times, it will lock you out & a reboot is needed...

Any suggestions?

THANKS!
    03-13-12 01:35 PM
    I don't use a password on my PlayBook either.....nobody touches it or they DISAPPEAR
    cdelcampo216, mdsf and shupor like this.
    03-13-12 01:41 PM
    Don't use a password, it there for the family to use.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-13-12 01:44 PM
    If you take the BlackBerry PlayBook outside the home you should password-protect the tablet. At the very least a password will prevent people from downloading paid applications onto your tablet since BlackBerry AppWorld is configured to require either a PayPal account or a credit card as part of the configuration process. Would you want Johnny-the-PickPocket downloading 100 paid applications all charged to your account? And these days your email address can be used a the thin wedge into a world of information about you. Settings -> About -> General reveals your email address and serial number which could be used inappropriately as a backdoor to obtaining other information about you from a variety of sources.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-13-12 01:45 PM
    Always use a password on mine as I often leave it in my office. You never know who is lurking
    03-13-12 01:46 PM
    No password here either. I don't keep private information on any of my portable devices. Entering a password on something used so often is a PITA. Now, if I used it for work it would be a different story.
    03-13-12 01:46 PM
    Lately i'm using a password just to be safe incase if i MAY lose my PlayBook i will have an,
    piece of mind nothing on my PlayBook can be accessed.
    10 Times password wrong is device wipe and poof all your files and anything else related are gone.
    At home/close friends etc they know my password and they have free access to my PlayBook's contents.
    03-13-12 02:03 PM
    It really just matter on if you don't care about people being on your device, or if you do care...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    03-13-12 02:06 PM
    If you take the BlackBerry PlayBook outside the home you should password-protect the tablet. At the very least a password will prevent people from downloading paid applications onto your tablet since BlackBerry AppWorld is configured to require either a PayPal account or a credit card as part of the configuration process. Would you want Johnny-the-PickPocket downloading 100 paid applications all charged to your account? And these days your email address can be used a the thin wedge into a world of information about you. Settings -> About -> General reveals your email address and serial number which could be used inappropriately as a backdoor to obtaining other information about you from a variety of sources.
    You do have valid points, I guess I will add a password to my playbook and 9650
    03-13-12 02:06 PM
    I like to have a password for my PB just to be on the safe side.
    03-13-12 02:07 PM
    Yes to using a password on my PB and on my Bold, but I use both for business and pleasure. I do not get too fancy or complicated with them, but don't use "password" and always use them on everything.
    03-13-12 02:17 PM
    The bridge automatically puts the password if it's already there on the phone.. Always password protect everything.. You do have your blackberry I'd right? That associates itself with lot of things.. All depends on the where you live.. If you're in a lonely Planet and might know the person who stole your pb.. A password is really not gonna matter!!
    03-13-12 02:32 PM
    Use it you never know what's happen I do any way in case it's touched no one wake her up
    03-13-12 02:33 PM
    I password mine when I travel through airports. If traveller's can lose cash from their wallets going through security?? you can lose anything.
    03-13-12 04:02 PM
    Every portable device i use has a password.. Why? Simple. You can't steal my info, look at pictures or browse emails if you can't access that part of the device.

If you don't have a password, you will wonder why you didn't when the device it stolen, lost of misplaced.

I'm a Network admin so a password is the norm for me
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-13-12 04:04 PM
    It is so easy to switch the password on and off. I switch it on Monday morning before traveling and switch off when I get home. With OS2 my work stuff (enterprise) is always locked automatically (with four kids I have to have work functions locked). I think a pattern lock app for the PB would be great.
    03-13-12 04:17 PM
    I've got a password on mine as well. Other people don't usually get their hands on my PB, but in case it does happen, I like knowing that they can't mess around with it without my help. Even if I don't have anything really 'sensitive' on there, I just feel better having it password protected. It took me only a little while to get used to it, now I don't even really notice having to type in my password
    03-13-12 04:29 PM
    Yes I do use a password on my playbook. It keeps prying eyes away. 4 grandchildren, workers on the job, or anyone who happens to pick it up. There is nothing private on it. I just feel if someone picks it up, and even knows how to swipe to have it come out of sleep mode, I want the first thing they see to be a password box.
    03-13-12 06:05 PM
    I rarely used a password on mine before 2.0, since forcing the tablet into standby was incorrectly coupled to the "lock" functionality.

Now that they've fixed that bug in 2.0, and you can choose either to lock or just to put it asleep, I keep a password on it all the time, with a moderate timeout so I don't have to enter it too often.

When I'm travelling, I can choose to press "lock" instead of just "standby", and the thing is instantly secured.

Note that you don't necessarily need a really "good" password for this, because the protection against mis-entry is pretty absolute: ten bad tries and it will wipe the data. The only real risk there is probably that someone spies on you (with video?) as you enter it, and if it's too trivial they may be able to get it with only one, or a few, tries.

Basically I take comfort knowing that if it's stolen, at least all they'll get out of it is a PlayBook (and one for which I've recorded the PIN and serial number, of course). I definitely wouldn't want my personal data (documents, photos, and videos) to be accessible if it were stolen.

I am thinking about putting some basic contact info superimposed on my wallpaper, however. Since most of the wallpaper (except the centre) is visible even at the lock screen, this way at least someone may decide to hold my data (and PlayBook) for ransom, rather than merely wiping it because they can't get at it. And of course honest people could find me to return it...
    03-13-12 06:47 PM
    When I dropped my playbook, its all because I didn't had a password. The user was able to learn gesture, found out my blackberry ID, email me and I got it back.

03-13-12 10:33 PM
    Password protect mine because I take it with me almost everywhere I go. I trust my family but not the guy who's looking to pick one up on my dime (such as to steal one). Same goes for my phone.
    03-13-12 10:35 PM
    Use something small like a 4 letter word or something u can type quickly when u wanna login. Eg 'nmlp' or 'asdf' or 'm.*m'
    Whatever is convenient for you
    03-13-12 10:50 PM
    Its always a good practice to password protect ALL your devices. Doesn't matter what you store on it or where you take it. There is always a chance it could fall into the wrong hands. Why give them a new un-passworded device?!? And those that aren't worried about passwording their devices, go ahead and leave your wifi unsecure as well, oh and leave your front doors open or unlocked at night just to let the nice breeze in. I'm sure you will be fine...sorry, just venting from having to do so many theft reports back in the day from those carelessly leaving valuable items where they shouldn't have or not taking the proper percautions to protect their personal information. Don't get complacent people. If you own ANYTHING that allows password protection, then use it.
    03-13-12 11:30 PM
    I don't feel the need to password protect my playbook since I use it at home, or when it's needed to be taken with me, it's usually kept in it's case, a backpack/netbook bag or in my large pants pocket.
    03-13-12 11:33 PM
    There are pros and cons either way. Someone on this forum left his playbook somewhere once and the person that found it was able to get it back to him by sending an email to his blackberry ID email address found on the PB

I had my 16GB stolen about a month ago and i didn't password it, i was advised on the forum to change my blackberry ID, which i did immediately, this would mean if the person tried to access appworld he would be locked out and probably lose all my apps i paid for with it, this was pre OS2.0, so it was probably wiped
    03-14-12 01:45 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD