My BB Tour still works fine but it's kinda a pain to use all the features it offers.. trackball makes it annoying to use the calendar and other apps I download.

So.. the past couple days I've been trying to decide whether to get an iphone 4 (not really durable enough for me though), BB 9930 or keep my Tour and buy the Playbook to use with it.. Decided on the Tour/Playbook combo instead of just having one device like the iphone.. I figured the Playbook is much more usable since it has a larger screen plus I can use bridge when I'm on campus and access all my phone stuff easier.

I'm hoping the Playbook will give me an idea of how QNX works and hold me over for a few months until the iphone 5 or new blackberries come out.. If I really enjoy the Playbook, I'll probably end up buying a new BB phone later this year.. if I don't have a good experience I'll have to migrate into iOS world w/ iphone 5.

Excited to get my playbook later this week.. just ordered it online a few minutes ago. I tried to buy one locally but none of the stores have them in stock.. it's like they don't even care to sell them, the salespeople didn't even know when they would be back in stock..all they said was.. "been back-ordered since January"
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-11-12 06:44 PM
    Hope you enjoy the PB as much as I do.... Did you read the stickies at the top of the Playbook Forum? Lots of good info there ...and if you want, I have the User's Guide for the PB OS2 below my signature.
    03-11-12 06:48 PM
    On your Tour you might find bridge to be slow. But the playbook itself is really snappy and easy to use. You'll definitely notice the playbook OS is different from what you're use to with your Tour

Bridge internet is much faster on the latest OS7 3G+ BB phones.

I recently upgraded from an OS6 3G 9800 to the OS7 3G+ 9810 and bridge internet is much faster
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-11-12 06:56 PM
    I have an older BlackBerry as well (9650). Getting a PlayBook to go with it made me appreciate BlackBerry again. I'm happy with the 9650 for its battery life, LED and other messaging features. The PlayBook satisfies the need for a better browser with flash, nicer camera, and all the media functions that the 9650 lacks. Movies, YouTube, great quality videos, games, video chat etc.

The bridge feature is awesome! I find it to be fast and handy!

Hope you like it!
    03-11-12 06:59 PM
    Welcome to the family. Pretty sure you will enjoy your PB.
    03-11-12 07:01 PM
    Welcome to the world of the playbook. While you are waiting for the device to come in I would follow jafobabe advice and check out the top two stickies of the Playbook forum. There is a wealth of infomation for you to absorb. The knowledge imparted there will put you ahead of the game for when your playbook does show up.
    03-11-12 07:07 PM
    Congrats, welcome to the club.....I rarely use my phone now a days except for phone calls and text....enjoy your Playbook, I know I'm enjoying mine
    03-11-12 07:12 PM
    Hi, I recently on impulse bought the playbook after hearing OS 2.0 improvements...not sure why I had the strong impulse to buy it, but alas I did, (probably the price did it, got it for less than the kindle :P)and so far, no regrets! Awesome hardware specs! cant wait for the potential to be fully unlocked
    Snap51 and Chrisy like this.
    03-11-12 07:19 PM
    Hi, I recently on impulse bought the playbook after hearing OS 2.0 improvements...not sure why I had the strong impulse to buy it, but alas I did, (probably the price did it, got it for less than the kindle :P)and so far, no regrets! Awesome hardware specs! cant wait for the potential to be fully unlocked
    Welcome to you too, pull up a couch and get comfortable...lots to see here on Crackberry. Don't forget the two FREE games (modern Combat and Asphalt 6).
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-11-12 07:23 PM
    Welcome ......... Once you go BLACK (berry) you'll never go back

Sorry, couldn't resist
    kbz1960 and currentodysseys like this.
    03-11-12 07:47 PM
    Welcome and you'll figure out why.
    Chrisy and malcerie like this.
    03-11-12 08:02 PM
    PlayBook runs best with a 9930. A professional tablet with the most professional BlackBerry Smart Phone built. You can't go wrong with that combination. I hope you do have a good experience with both because it will save you about $800.00 a month. People don't tend to point this fact out but it's true. Apple releases a new phone one month then the next month another new tablet. Each one sets you back about $800.00.
    03-11-12 08:06 PM
    You bought it because you could
    03-11-12 08:09 PM
    Welcome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the playbook. Do agree with some of the other posts that your tour might slow you down.. I had mine paired with 9800 and found browser to be pretty slow. I've now upgraded to 9860 LTE and lovin every minute. Browser is pretty quick just about every where I go. With my unlimited BB data plan I have all I need, could always be faster but I'm hoping the BB10 pairing will ramp things up! BLACKBERRY ROCKS!
    03-11-12 08:13 PM
    My BB Tour still works fine but it's kinda a pain to use all the features it offers.. trackball makes it annoying to use the calendar and other apps I download.

So.. the past couple days I've been trying to decide whether to get an iphone 4 (not really durable enough for me though), BB 9930 or keep my Tour and buy the Playbook to use with it.. Decided on the Tour/Playbook combo instead of just having one device like the iphone.. I figured the Playbook is much more usable since it has a larger screen plus I can use bridge when I'm on campus and access all my phone stuff easier.

I'm hoping the Playbook will give me an idea of how QNX works and hold me over for a few months until the iphone 5 or new blackberries come out.. If I really enjoy the Playbook, I'll probably end up buying a new BB phone later this year.. if I don't have a good experience I'll have to migrate into iOS world w/ iphone 5.

Excited to get my playbook later this week.. just ordered it online a few minutes ago. I tried to buy one locally but none of the stores have them in stock.. it's like they don't even care to sell them, the salespeople didn't even know when they would be back in stock..all they said was.. "been back-ordered since January"
    I read about lots of people not being able to find it at the stores. Therefore, I will speculate and say that's probably because RIM is trying to clear out the shelves for the new 3G version.
    03-11-12 08:16 PM
    I have an older BlackBerry as well (9650). Getting a PlayBook to go with it made me appreciate BlackBerry again. I'm happy with the 9650 for its battery life, LED and other messaging features. The PlayBook satisfies the need for a better browser with flash, nicer camera, and all the media functions that the 9650 lacks. Movies, YouTube, great quality videos, games, video chat etc.
    those are the thoughts I'm hoping I'll have later this week. I'm trying to get the most out of BB before I decide to jump ship b/c I think it's a great, secure platform.

everyone else, thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to read some of those stickies before it arrives..

So far, it all sounds awesome (the hardware is very nice too) but I'm still confused on how bridge syncs everything (specifically the calendar) vs just using the native apps. I'm sure it will all make sense once I start playing around with it (& reading in this forum). I haven't even tried out a demo unit yet,just diving in head first. Desperate for some more blackberry functionality in my life! haha

If all goes well, it feels like a steal to me at current prices.
    03-11-12 08:23 PM
    A lot of mentions about pairing with the 9930. And I agree.

I've thought about how well the 9630 will pair with the PB.. Apparently, it's the oldest BB that supports bridge, I had no idea it was even capable of this until a few days ago.. Needless to say, my bridge & 3G expectations are set very low right now. I've been itching for the 9930 and I have feeling I'll want it even more after this..

My goal is to hold off until Q4 of this year to see all the new BB phones.
    03-11-12 08:33 PM
    those are the thoughts I'm hoping I'll have later this week. I'm trying to get the most out of BB before I decide to jump ship b/c I think it's a great, secure platform.

everyone else, thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to read some of those stickies before it arrives..

So far, it all sounds awesome (the hardware is very nice too) but I'm still confused on how bridge syncs everything (specifically the calendar) vs just using the native apps. I'm sure it will all make sense once I start playing around with it (& reading in this forum). I haven't even tried out a demo unit yet,just diving in head first. Desperate for some more blackberry functionality in my life! haha

If all goes well, it feels like a steal to me at current prices.
    With the bridge, you will be able to see the exact same calendar from your BB on the PB screen, is that simple. From what I understand, currently there's no way to transfer your contacts from your BB to your PB native contacts app unless you do it manually. But, I could be wrong.
    03-11-12 08:34 PM
    The title of this thread suits my situation, but I have a different story.

I am a Mac user, have an iPad and an iPhone, which I use most of the time. Family also use iPhone and iPod touch, and so we can share app purchase. However, I have extra allowance from work to spend...

I tried the PB at launch while it was at full price. Needless to say, the experience wasn't great for the price I paid. I sold it soon after and have been trying out Android. It began with Galaxy Tab, and lately switched to Galaxy Note. But I am looking to buy another tablet for my second kid to watch movies in car.

The low price is certainly a big draw. I was also curious how os 2.0 has improved the PB. I ended buying an open box PB from Bestbuy earlier this week. Not here to share my impression on the PB, but just want to say "hi" - as another "no sure why" new PB owner.
    03-11-12 08:42 PM
    The bridge is brilliant - an innovation that was missed by most tech reviewers! There is no syncing with bridge. Whatever is on your BB phone is visible on your PB. Perfect!

I tried the native email etc but prefer the bridge. Others will have experience with that.

Welcome to CB! Hope you enjoy your PB as much as I enjoy mine!
    03-11-12 08:47 PM
    Oh they care to sell em. When the price dropped thru the floor they flew off the shelves. I couldnt figure out why it was taking so long for em to replace the PBs around here. Then last night it all made sense. Rim still has em on sale. So why are they going to send em out while they are still running them on sale. Or why would the retail stores order em and try to compete with the higher price? I dont buy they have have been on back order since Jan. I bought 2 pbs 2 weeks ago and they already had os2 on them.
    03-11-12 11:01 PM
    A lot of mentions about pairing with the 9930. And I agree.

I've thought about how well the 9630 will pair with the PB.. Apparently, it's the oldest BB that supports bridge, I had no idea it was even capable of this until a few days ago.. Needless to say, my bridge & 3G expectations are set very low right now. I've been itching for the 9930 and I have feeling I'll want it even more after this..

My goal is to hold off until Q4 of this year to see all the new BB phones.
    Good luck to you there but I sure didn't make it. Loving the combination between the new Bold 9930 and my PlayBook. It seems as thought they were meant to play together

I have zero regrets getting the Bold. It for me is simply a joy to use even on it's own on a day to day basis.
    03-11-12 11:15 PM
    PlayBook runs best with a 9930. A professional tablet with the most professional BlackBerry Smart Phone built. You can't go wrong with that combination. I hope you do have a good experience with both because it will save you about $800.00 a month. People don't tend to point this fact out but it's true. Apple releases a new phone one month then the next month another new tablet. Each one sets you back about $800.00.
    What the heck are you talking about?!?!?!?! Are you referring to Apple or Android??? Even if you are referring to Android how can you fathom upgrading to a new phone every month. I see the $800/month reference ridiculous...
    03-11-12 11:32 PM
    The title of this thread suits my situation, but I have a different story.

I am a Mac user, have an iPad and an iPhone, which I use most of the time. Family also use iPhone and iPod touch, and so we can share app purchase. However, I have extra allowance from work to spend...

I tried the PB at launch while it was at full price. Needless to say, the experience wasn't great for the price I paid. I sold it soon after and have been trying out Android. It began with Galaxy Tab, and lately switched to Galaxy Note. But I am looking to buy another tablet for my second kid to watch movies in car.

The low price is certainly a big draw. I was also curious how os 2.0 has improved the PB. I ended buying an open box PB from Bestbuy earlier this week. Not here to share my impression on the PB, but just want to say "hi" - as another "no sure why" new PB owner.
    I bought playbook on day 1 and I love it to the core... upgrade ur os and then sideload any apps you need. To me, PB is the best tablet in the market, with OS2!!!

Sent from Tapatalk on my Playbook
    03-11-12 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD