Hey Guys, I'm cracked out on this site and my PB, but, honestly.... this is why Apple is #1.

Apple's !sh works!!!! PB.....most of the time... which is NOT acceptable.

The PB works, but I'm disappointed everyday. Whether it's the messages I get from my IMAP server that it "can't connect", but I still get the email..., to the mid way through posting on a forum, the browser crashes, or trying to access my webmail through the browser, the site is not supported, to the I JUST tried installing an app, qPDF viewer and it went to initializing, froze, then crashed..., and doesnt work, to the I can't select text from various browser text fields...or while typing or selecting the predictive text... the auto correct just ends the word with a period. So annoying!

It works but for a dual core processor, the app UX and animation is laggy. QNX isn't! Why!?

I will Q.A / UX test for RIM for FREE. I know it's a work in progress, but c'mon... we need to address these issues and pay attention to the details!
    Last edited by leedium; 03-11-12 at 11:02 AM.
    03-11-12 10:57 AM
    Maybe you bought the wrong tablet and came to the wrong site.......just maybe. I would like to make a suggestion, if i may.....return the PlayBook and purchase something you will enjoy.
    fbloise, Snap51, Alt-F4 and 2 others like this.
    03-11-12 11:01 AM
    Maybe you bought the wrong tablet and came to the wrong site.......just maybe. I would like to make a suggestion, if i may.....return the PlayBook and purchase something you will enjoy.
    I can't! I love my Playbook!

It's a love hate relationship!! lol!

BTW: still on "Initializing, Please Wait"... oh there it crashed again...

Suggestions for a better PDF viewer?

Cheers.
    03-11-12 11:03 AM
    My iPhone 4S failed to set DST correctly this morning. Likely that my telco played a role, but it seems to S.O.P. with iDevices and DST.

The PB set DST just fine.

iOS is more polished, but Apple makes some dumba$$ coding errors too.
    03-11-12 11:04 AM
    Don't see the point in starting ANOTHER moaning thread....go watch TV or something!
    03-11-12 11:05 AM
    Don't see the point in starting ANOTHER moaning thread....go watch TV or something!
    aite... I'm a go cook dinner.

Cheers!
    03-11-12 11:07 AM
    aite... I'm a go cook dinner.

Cheers!
    That's 'Aight' and 'Imma'.

Cheers!
    leedium, Chrisy, TBone4eva and 2 others like this.
    03-11-12 11:10 AM
    Gonna' get me drink now; the clock says it's OK, but the mind says WTF....screw the mind, I love my clock.
    03-11-12 11:13 AM
    gonna' get me drink now; the clock says it's ok, but the mind says wtf....screw the mind, i love my clock. :d
    lol...
    03-11-12 11:16 AM
    I agree with the OP that Rim software engineers need to pay more attention to the details. Just as I was reading this forum (on my PC), up pops a message on my PB saying to enter the password for my Windows Live Mail account. Odd, I thought. So I cancelled the message and went into messages, and sure enough, Live Mail isn't connecting, and up pops my Accounts window saying my login info for Live has chanage or is incorrect, and to update it and try again. Now it worked perfectly earlier this morning and I never changed anything, so wtf.

Like the OP says, there are just too many of these quirks (and virtually none, ever, on my ipod touch) for our "professional grade tablet". And please, trolls who can't bear to hear any criticism, stay away; your 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' attitude is not helpful or relevant. What we need is more robust software, not heads in the sand.
    03-11-12 11:18 AM
    I have both...the iPad (and my iPod touch 4) also has little crashes, freezes, stutters, you name it. If you're specifically looking for these things, you'll find them...on all platforms.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 03-11-12 at 11:22 AM.
    03-11-12 11:18 AM
    my ipad browser crashes every 5 minutes, and im not exaggerating either, pb browser...only on some pages but for the most part it works well til the browser cache fills up and starts screwing around.
    agreed with the above poster, if u look for it, youll find it on any platform.
    03-11-12 11:46 AM
    The only time I have had any issues was when I loaded the beta software. I think you must have a bum unit or something. I have never had any problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah and I have a PlayBook too!
    03-11-12 11:53 AM
    I sympathize and hope you resolve your issues, but also bear in mind that most of us are not having those problems. You shouldn't generalize because of your own particular problems and not all of us are going through h*** on earth. Yes there are always quirks and, only yesterday, I had to reboot my PB because it had become sluggish and unresponsive - but hey - I even have to do that with my windows 7 PC!
    Last edited by jvictor77; 03-11-12 at 11:57 AM.
    03-11-12 11:55 AM
    I agree with the spirit of the op's post, as well as Brian at BB's post. The PB has way too many minor glitches which SHOULD NOT be acceptable to RIM especially given their mantra of "professional grade tablet" and the new slogan "we need tools, not toys".

For example, when I enter Starbucks with my Torch & my bridged PB, my PB prompts me if I want to connect to their hotspot wifi. I tap "ok" and I get an official BB message saying I am now connected to the Internet. Any normal person would assume from this process that my PB is now connected to the Starbucks wifi. But no it is not. Unless I turn off my bluetooth bridge, my PB will actually still be using my Torch's mobile data, not the coffeeshop wifi. How the heck is the "average" clueless non-techy person supposed to figure that out???

Regarding the annoying period insertion referred to by Leedium, that is "supposed" to be a convenience feature. When you're typing, if you tap the space bar twice, it inserts a period so you can continue typing the next sentence. BB phones have had this handy feature since the 90's. But the way it works with autocorrect is "funny". If you tap one of the autocorrect suggestions, it inserts an extra space after the suggested word, then, if you tap the spacebar, boom it sees 2 spaces so it inserts a period!!! But if you have typed all the right letters and just keep typing, rather than tap the autocorrect suggestion, no extra space is inserted. Very frustrating. Would be better to just insert the tapped word without adding an extra unexpected space. Or else ignore the extra space if the user taps a suggested word then taps the space bar. Various ways it could be programmed to be more user friendly but the way RIM did it is OH SO FRUSTRATING. It is like they just don't try these things out with real users before they put them out there.
    leedium, sagec, patpatiar and 2 others like this.
    03-11-12 11:58 AM
    I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that there is some severe oversight in the UX/ interface that I think we can all agree is apparent. Yes, a ton of issues were addressed in the latest update, but issues such as text / touch selectability, accuracy, consistency, and sensitivity, to me, is still a big time issue, and I don't see how the team at RIM can over look this. Obviously it will get tightened(I hope) with future releases, but RIM is already playing catch up, and their devs should be scrambling to get this damned fine piece of a tablet off the bench and into the starting lineup! I just don't sense any sort of urgency from the company..... where is OS 2.2 update!? lol!
    03-11-12 12:09 PM
    I have both...the iPad (and my iPod touch 4) also has little crashes, freezes, stutters, you name it. If you're specifically looking for these things, you'll find them...on all platforms.
    That's so true
    Sometimes playing games or just browsing the web my iPad2 would crash and
    it didn't matter to me. Now if I start winning about these defects then I wouldn't
    really enjoy any device and probably go into the forums and start a new topic
    on how my browser crashed once today while I was browsing the web for 2 hrs.
    Chrisy, Snap51, malcerie and 1 others like this.
    03-11-12 12:33 PM
    Yes Bullseye & BB-guy, other devices have problems too. But this is a PlayBook forum and us PB lovers/owners really want to see this device succeed and be even better than it is.

Bulleye's crummy remark about those who complain about browser crashes is unhelpful: you cannot deny there are some websites that cause the PB browser to shutdown without warning. For a tablet being marketed as having "the full Internet experience", the fact that the PB browser will crash from just entering certain website addresses (such as smurfberries.com) into the browser address bar is (or should be) unacceptable to RIM.

So let us feel free to post our gripes about the PB and if RIM hears about them and pledges to fix them, then we have done our job, as leedium described, as beta-testers or focus-group testers for RIM.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-11-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Fix typos
    Chrisy, cmdr_dan, leedium and 5 others like this.
    03-11-12 12:45 PM
    ^^^ I actually like that extra space that auto suggest adds, so how do you know RIM did not test it and there were more people like me as supposed to those like you, so they put it in? Lets not get too personal here... Can't please everyone.

I for one think the PBOS2 software is one of, if not the best, tablet interfaces around. Just like was said... if you look for little annoying things, you'll find them on any OS but the PB interface is superior to that of IOS in my opinion. IOS seems outdated when matched against the multitasking, swipe gesture driven UI of PBOS/QNX

And for me, the PlayBook embodies the "just works" mantra. I have had no problems with my tablets. (I own 2 Playbooks and an Ipad2) The email issues i had were not RIM/PlayBooks fault:

Work email: The sideloaded android email I added was pulling my mail so my work email box never recieved it. I had to go in and deactivate that account and exchange mail through the native app worked beautifully.

GMail: Gmail changed their security settings recently so if you installed like before last week you need to delete the account and reinstall.
    Last edited by KOOLWATER; 03-11-12 at 12:55 PM.
    03-11-12 12:49 PM
    @PatrickMJS For sure as PlayBook owners on a PlayBook forum we should bring up and discuss issues and problems on the devices we use have.

The reason why I and others responded the way we did was because the OP made it sound like it was the PlayBook only that had all these little problems, and that it didn't "just work" as an Apple iPad does.
    03-11-12 12:55 PM
    @PatrickMJS For sure as PlayBook owners on a PlayBook forum we should bring up and discuss issues and problems on the devices we use have.

The reason why I and others responded the way we did was because the OP made it sound like it was the PlayBook only that had all these little problems, and that it didn't "just work" as an Apple iPad does.

..The reason I initially purchased the PB despite no email was that I figured I could use the browser as a substitute email client. To my surprise, I wasn't unable to access my webmail via the PB browser!!..and with NO EMAIL on the device, despite, the promises from RIM("professional grade") ... how is that "working???" I picked up an iPad 2 as a replacement, and despite that "small" email issue, I realized I liked the PB so much, I gave the iPad to my dad, and held on to the PB for OS2.
    Like I said... it's the fundamentals.....of course we can all find work arounds...but to the average dummy user... it's the difference between keeping it or returning it for an iDevice.

@Team, I call all of you team because I believe we are all innately on the same side here. I thought this was a compelling presentation about why people "follow", and he uses Apple as the example for consumer behaviours. RIM is stained right now and overall sentiment is low.....they need to cross their T's, dot their I's, and listen to their community. I've never owned a BB phone, but apparently they're known for their durability, and for just working especially for big enterprises. They should have capitalized on that sentiment. RIM!...we need you back in the game!

Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action | Video on TED.com
    (4,230,806 views)

^^ RIM should have watched this before rushing the PB into the market place.
    Last edited by leedium; 03-11-12 at 03:22 PM. Reason: made no chronological sense... lol!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-11-12 01:15 PM
    My PB had email from day 1 ... via bridge ... which is brilliant.

bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-11-12 01:35 PM
    I think the reason many get defensive is because people come on and make similar negative comments over and over. Especially about things that we as consumers cannot rectify.
    I generally review the persons (in this case the OP) to see if he has actually added some positive or constructive criticism, which it appears to be not really. Hence acquiring the "troll" designation.
    Unless 1 can really believe that the RIM programmers released v2 then went on extended vacation, they are still going to work daily and working on something.
    In comparison, we may be at the Win 95 stage, which coincidentally was released over a year late also, I think our timetable is accelerated to where the PB will be comparable to everyone else by yr end or early 12. Including the first maintenance release of bb10
    03-11-12 01:39 PM
    I think the reason many get defensive is because people come on and make similar negative comments over and over. Especially about things that we as consumers cannot rectify.
    I generally review the persons (in this case the OP) to see if he has actually added some positive or constructive criticism, which it appears to be not really. Hence acquiring the "troll" designation.
    Unless 1 can really believe that the RIM programmers released v2 then went on extended vacation, they are still going to work daily and working on something.
    In comparison, we may be at the Win 95 stage, which coincidentally was released over a year late also, I think our timetable is accelerated to where the PB will be comparable to everyone else by yr end or early 12. Including the first maintenance release of bb10
    ..Well I'm sure RIM is learning a ton from the PB OS2 release, and applying to the BB10 devices. I'm pretty excited, and am looking forward to replacing my iDevice for one of these new BB Models. I'm praying RIM can deliver

Yea, I guess I could be considered a troll, or a pumper, but honestly I'm not. I'm sure all you experienced, wise, and long time members have "heard it all," and although my criticisms have the PB's best interests at heart... there is nothing better than having a new member get called out for being a "Troll" despite the positive sentiment I have for this device... for pete sakes I gave up an iPad 2 for the PB!!! I'm not knocking you, but this is a public forum, and I'm sorry if I didn't go through the 531 pages to see if someone already posted what I'm commenting about. Cut me some slack mang! lol!
    In the end I'm excited to be here, and even more excited that I can watch all my online courses at lynda.com via my PB and test code freely in the same browser in a different Tab.
    03-11-12 01:52 PM
    Gonna' get me drink now; the clock says it's OK, but the mind says WTF....screw the mind, I love my clock.
    Drunken PlayBook video calling!

Does any tab do conference video calls yet?
    03-11-12 02:05 PM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD